Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428406 times)

Offline steamboatmodel

Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2085 on: September 15, 2017, 01:54:54 AM »
Hi Chris,
Looking at the photo you posted there are lumps and balls of solder showing, that is usually a sign of not enough heat and flux. I have used the 15% silver solder a couple of times to fix pinhole leaks. Usually hit it with a punch to move the metal over the hole then the solder to cover and reseal it.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2086 on: September 15, 2017, 03:04:44 AM »
Hi Chris,
Looking at the photo you posted there are lumps and balls of solder showing, that is usually a sign of not enough heat and flux. I have used the 15% silver solder a couple of times to fix pinhole leaks. Usually hit it with a punch to move the metal over the hole then the solder to cover and reseal it.
Regards,
Gerald.
I'm confused on that one. The melting point of the 15% is higher than the solder I've been using, forget the exact ones but in the 50% ranges. Using the 15 would remelt everything, wouldn't it? Or are you talking about one of the soft solders? The overlapping usage of the same terms for solders is confusing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:11:08 AM by crueby »

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2087 on: September 16, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
Hi Chris,
The main solder I use is 45%silve, the patching one is only 15% and barely qualifies as a hard solder. The 15% melts at a much lower temperature.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2088 on: September 16, 2017, 01:20:27 AM »
Hi Chris,
The main solder I use is 45%silve, the patching one is only 15% and barely qualifies as a hard solder. The 15% melts at a much lower temperature.
Regards,
Gerald.
Gotcha. Whose 15% do you use? Which brand/variety?
Thanks!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2089 on: September 16, 2017, 02:43:25 PM »
I picked the 15% silver solder at a jewelry supply. I think they had a large spool of it, which they packaged is small baggies, all it had was a notice above the bins that gave the %, weight, Temperatures and the price per gram. Unfortunately they decided to only sell to Jewelers and not sell to the public.
Regards,
Gerald.   

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2090 on: September 16, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
hi. Something one should be aware of is that when you silver solder copper at a certain temperature, is ,that the solder actually mixes with the copper thereby creating an alloy that includes some of the copper !! this is why it is quite difficult to remelt the solder at the joint to "mend" any leaks. but i think we do already know this !! Keep up the good work btw and am looking forward to the next project............W......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2091 on: September 16, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
hi. Something one should be aware of is that when you silver solder copper at a certain temperature, is ,that the solder actually mixes with the copper thereby creating an alloy that includes some of the copper !! this is why it is quite difficult to remelt the solder at the joint to "mend" any leaks. but i think we do already know this !! Keep up the good work btw and am looking forward to the next project............W......
I was not aware of that one! On the leaks I have had, I have been adding another bit of solder, which has worked out.

Our summer end RC submarine meet was today, great weather and turnout, hope to get back to the boiler tomorrow.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2092 on: September 16, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »
I picked the 15% silver solder at a jewelry supply. I think they had a large spool of it, which they packaged is small baggies, all it had was a notice above the bins that gave the %, weight, Temperatures and the price per gram. Unfortunately they decided to only sell to Jewelers and not sell to the public.
Regards,
Gerald.   
What temperature did they quote? Curious how much different it is than the stuff I have been using.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2093 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:34 PM »
Now that the sub meet is over, I've been alternating between soldering/testing sessions and some carving work today, and think that I have gotten the leaks fixed. Finally. I hope. Please? The initial tests look good, but I need to redo the steam dome cover gasket (paper damaged during all the on/off sessions), and do a proper pressure test.

Here's hoping!  The Living History Days event up at the logging museum in Maine is coming up in a couple of weeks, really hoping to steam with the real one. Will at least display it and run it on air there, so at some point this week I need to get the boiler repainted, reassembled, and steam it up before having to pack up for the show. I'm also planning on taking the Shay along for a display. Anyone in the New England area, come on up - they are going to be running the overhead-belt shop, the sawmill, lots of other crafts. Just head for the Maine border, turn North, and drive - its up just past Bangor.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2094 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:19 PM »
Here's hoping you got the leaks fixed Chris and will be able to run it under steam at the upcoming show. In any even it will be most impressive to all that see it!!

Bill

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2095 on: September 18, 2017, 01:13:36 AM »
Hi Chris,
I am not too sure, my soldering equipment is still packed in the garage from the move.
I have attached the Harris Guide, it may have been the Stay=Brite, which on page 18 says Stay-BriteŽ is a eutectic alloy with a single melting point of 430°F (221°C).
Stay-BriteŽ 8 has a solidus of 430°F (221°C) and a liquidus of 535°F (279°C). This melting range provides the ability to fill wider clearance parts.
Here is a link for Harman and Handy http://www.silfos.com/htmdocs/product_support/alloy_selection_guide.html
Which also lists different products.
I have used products from both of them, It is often which one I can get too.
I have also used Wolverine products from welders supplies, which is usually the easiest to find.
Regards,
Gerald.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/GuidetoBrazingandSoldering.pdf
It is not attached in above link, tried to load with attachment and it would not post.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2096 on: September 18, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Hi Chris,
I am not too sure, my soldering equipment is still packed in the garage from the move.
I have attached the Harris Guide, it may have been the Stay=Brite, which on page 18 says Stay-BriteŽ is a eutectic alloy with a single melting point of 430°F (221°C).
Stay-BriteŽ 8 has a solidus of 430°F (221°C) and a liquidus of 535°F (279°C). This melting range provides the ability to fill wider clearance parts.
Here is a link for Harman and Handy http://www.silfos.com/htmdocs/product_support/alloy_selection_guide.html
Which also lists different products.
I have used products from both of them, It is often which one I can get too.
I have also used Wolverine products from welders supplies, which is usually the easiest to find.
Regards,
Gerald.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/GuidetoBrazingandSoldering.pdf
It is not attached in above link, tried to load with attachment and it would not post.
Thanks Gerald! Good information!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2097 on: September 18, 2017, 01:29:01 AM »
Gerald, I suspect the .pdf exceeded the new file size restriction. If you can split it into multiple parts and post each part separately it should work. Or you can send the file to the email address in my profile and I will split it for you tomorrow and upload to your original post.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2098 on: September 18, 2017, 01:39:28 AM »
Gerald, I suspect the .pdf exceeded the new file size restriction. If you can split it into multiple parts and post each part separately it should work. Or you can send the file to the email address in my profile and I will split it for you tomorrow and upload to your original post.

Bill
I think I have found it on the Harris website, looks like a lot of great information, got my reading for tomorrow morning.
Here is the link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~/media/Files/PDF/Requested%2520Resources/GuidetoBrazingandSoldering.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi797mgv63WAhUEySYKHS7QAVkQFgglMAA&usg=AFQjCNEMHF5_9XLqrqCdjDWzKRLWk9wIzw

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2099 on: September 18, 2017, 01:44:59 AM »
That is the one, don't try reading it after a full day.
Here is another link to more if you get bored,
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Technical-Documents.aspx
Gerald.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal