Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428701 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2055 on: September 12, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
8)

At first I thought I hope that is not live ammo they have on display there, then I realised where she is… I sure hope they have made sure that the safety cannot be disengaged if one of the passengers gets overly enthusiastic  ;) .

Jo

P.S. Just been reminded why I hate image hosting sites  :ShakeHead:
Oh yes, the ammo and bombs are inert!  Wouldn't want to ruin a wonderful day by perforating anything nearby!   :o

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #2056 on: September 12, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
Thanks for the great video Chris. I need to get a ride the next time they bring her around here.

There's  nothing quite like the sound those 4 big Pratt & Whitneys make when they run them up.

Next, we need to go up to Ontario where they give Lancaster rides. See what it's like to go behind 4 Merlins!

--Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2057 on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the great video Chris. I need to get a ride the next time they bring her around here.

There's  nothing quite like the sound those 4 big Pratt & Whitneys make when they run them up.

Next, we need to go up to Ontario where they give Lancaster rides. See what it's like to go behind 4 Merlins!

--Tim
I've been there to see the Lancaster, and seen them fly at air shows, would be great fun to go up in one!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2058 on: September 12, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »
 :thinking:

I've been told to make up a bucket list maybe Chris you are on to something  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2059 on: September 12, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Got the new burner installed, took some fiddling to get it to run though - it was supposed to use a no 8 jet nozzle, but with that in it would not get enough air through to burn properly, so I put the no 5 one in from the old burner, and it runs but is not a lot better than the old setup. 
Have to do some research and figure out how to get more heat into the boiler...   :thinking:

One bigger problem though - the back boiler cap has developed a leak in the lower left side, where the cap is soldered to the inside end of the boiler tube. Was not there during static testing, there must have been a spot with either too little solder to take the slight flexing during heatup/cooldown cycles, or there was a spot of flux or grit in there that worked loose. Not sure what, and not sure how to fix it without stripping the whole boiler out, stripping the paint, and re-silver soldering that spot, which I would REALLY hate to have to do at this point! The leak started as just a drop of water seeping out under pressure, to now it is like a loose pipe joint, keeping the total pressure down. It is down about the height of the firetube top, so it blows out water not steam, which makes the whole thing lose pressure quicker.

Any suggestions/fixes other than a teardown?

:Mad:

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #2060 on: September 13, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
Hi Chris, my first idea is this https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/support/will-radweld-block-channels-radiator/
But to be honest, I could imagine, there will be no other way than resolder it.
There is an industrieal process available to close microporousity http://www.maldaner.de/en/home/
But as mentioned before, I see no other real chance than a propper resoldering.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2061 on: September 13, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
Use consol it’s a very low temp soft solder , as you have tested this boiler it structure is sound so it will just plug the leak

It may seal up its self due to lime in the water , or you could ad a small amount of lime to the boiler  :)
But if you ever descaled it it would leak again

I have seen many a copper loco boiler leak with cold water but be steam tight
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2062 on: September 13, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
I think I'm settled on pulling the boiler and resoldering that one spot - the leak stopper type stuff might work, but I'd be worried about it gumming up other fixtures/valves/etc in the rest of the system. I'm using distilled water, so there shouldn't be much lime in the water like there would be if I was using the tap water here, which has lots of minerals in it.

Sigh. 

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2063 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Well that's a bummer! The elves have let you down in there hurry to play.
No disrespect to Stuart but I'd be very reluctant to use soft solder, as once you use it then IF you have another larger leak silver solder will never take & you will end up with a sieve or an elves toy.....
Love that you are using distilled water, there should be just about no minerals in it if its been made right.
Sure you will get that leak sorted.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2064 on: September 13, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet (an unloaded one) and pulled the boiler. Not as bad as I thought it would be since the manifold comes off in one large assembly, just had to take off the lower part of the sight glass and disconnect the supply and output steam lines at the unions. The lines to the engine from the smokebox too.

The backhead end is sitting in a bucket of pickle solution to clean up the joint, and will need to strip off some paint most likely too before soldering can begin. Hope this works!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:17:27 AM by crueby »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2065 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »
thats the trouble then the most corrosive liquid all it wants to do is regain its lost minerals ( distilled water ) thats why you must not drink it, it pulls the minerals out of your stomach , thing like to be in equilibrium

get your self some very low melt silver solder or use comsol soft solder

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2066 on: September 13, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
thats the trouble then the most corrosive liquid all it wants to do is regain its lost minerals ( distilled water ) thats why you must not drink it, it pulls the minerals out of your stomach , thing like to be in equilibrium

get your self some very low melt silver solder or use comsol soft solder

Stuart
You think there might have been some flux crystals or something in that joint that re-disolved? Seems like the soaks in the pickle would have gotten it the first time, but maybe there was a bubble under a thin solder layer or something?
I have a couple grades of the silver solder on hand, will be using the lower temperature range version (of the high-temp type solder) to redo the joint.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2067 on: September 13, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Let it soak in the pickle, wire brushed the area clean, including the paint  around the joint. Got out the torch and the other implements of construction, and the soldering is done, cooling off now, will pickle it over lunch and repressure test it this afternoon... Flow looked good, hope it penetrated properly. Stay tuned!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2068 on: September 13, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
Its been soaked and wire brushed, looks like a clean joint and don't see any of the ones around it harmed in the process. The leak was in the lower left of the picture, next to the bushing beside the fire tube. Looks okay, so I'll let it dry off more and after lunch I'll give it a pressure test and see how it really went. Here's hoping!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2069 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:16 PM »
I think you will be  much happier having done it the right way Chris. With the loss of pressure due to the leak fixed, the engine should run better as well and maybe even the burner issues will be minimized.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal