Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 435799 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1905 on: August 09, 2017, 09:53:52 AM »
Looks like a fun time was had by all ... err, except the gentleman in the grey hoodie that seems to be endlessly fiddling with his sub! I know exactly what he is thinking ... "But, it worked perfect this morning on the bench!"

There are a bunch of first class models there.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1906 on: August 09, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »
So, are you coming to see my antics or the elves antics?! We do egg each other on a lot...   :cheers:
Just realized that the steam pageant in Canandaigua starts tomorrow, am going Thursday morning. More fun!

That would be the main elf of course.  ;D
Any link to Canandaiqua? I have no idea what that is.
Here it is, its at the north end of the lake, couple miles south of the NY thruway. Great event, lots of traction engines trundling around, early gas and Diesel tractors, farm and construction equipment. Big flea market and displays of small engines, some models too. They have a big stationary engine and usually a shingle mill and saw mill.

http://www.pageantofsteam.org

Looks a lot like the "Brooks Steam-up" that we have out here about 15 miles from where I live. Great fun!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1907 on: August 10, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »
I went down to the steam show in Canandaigua today, lots of fun there!

Posted a link to photo album and a bunch of videos over in the Shows thread, here is the link:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7300.0.html

So, nothing done on the Lombard today, but yesterday I got the steam supply pipe and whistle pipe made, can start final (I hope) assembly on the steam manifold system next time. Just a few things left to make: burner/tank piping and install, fwd/reverse lever and linkage, the RC install, and the false-top woodpile. Very close!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1908 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
Back in the shop again today, been a while with the trips and shows. I got the pipe fittings complete, and everything installed on the steam manifold, and the whistle installed under the frame (pipe runs down to it, the center of the whistle is supported on the main axle inside the frame rails).
Then started leak testing, found a couple of unions that were leaking, traced it to some tiny runs of silver solder that ran around the nipple fittle on the end of the tube, so got those filed smooth and refit. Right now, it seems to be holding air fairly well, I am letting the thread sealant set up, will try again later on.  If that is good, I will move on to the burner/tank installation...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:58:39 PM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1909 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »
Yup - the sealant did the job, just ran the compressor on it and no return of the leaks. Starting to lay out the reverse control lever assembly now...

Offline kvom

« Reply #1910 on: August 12, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »
"reverse control lever" - Johnson bar  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Bar_(locomotive)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1911 on: August 12, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
"reverse control lever" - Johnson bar  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Bar_(locomotive)

"..., giving the lever the alternate name of the reversing lever....
"

Potato, pahtahto. Two names, same thing....
 :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1912 on: August 12, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
More on the reverse lever - turned the lever itself, and milled a right-angle bracket for the base. Given the tight space it is in, and that I want to be able to move it by reaching in through the door without removing the cab, I left off the quadrant arm and ratchet handle.

And here is the linkage up to the control arm on the Stephenson linkage assembly - since it comes in from the back rather than the side, the extra set of control arms were used on the Lombard.

View of the cab with all the ironwork bits in place, like the drop links which hold the side panels in place:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:58:50 PM by crueby »

Online sco

« Reply #1913 on: August 12, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
From those shots it's really hard to tell the scale - could be the real thing!

Seems like only yesterday you were making those tracks too :-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1914 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
From those shots it's really hard to tell the scale - could be the real thing!

Seems like only yesterday you were making those tracks too :-)

Simon.
Thanks Simon!  Doesn't seem like it has been better part of a year already! Time flies when you're having fun! (Or as Kermit said, Times fun when you're eating flies!)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1915 on: August 12, 2017, 11:38:51 PM »
Looking good Chris. Still watching, just quietly at the moment. Too many irons in the fire...lol.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1916 on: August 13, 2017, 12:27:19 AM »
Looking good Chris. Still watching, just quietly at the moment. Too many irons in the fire...lol.

Bill
Pick an iron, take it to the anvil, and make something good from it!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1917 on: August 15, 2017, 01:59:58 AM »
Going to be about a week before I can get back to the Hauler and finish it up, another priority interrupt has come up on the boat side of things. Lots going on this summer!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1918 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »
Okay, here is why no progress on the Lombard project this last week - I was building a new submarine that I wanted to try out at our local submarine group's fun run today at the pond. I started with a display model made by Moebius Models of the flying sub from the old TV show Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (spin-off from movie of same name). This is a small model, about 13" across, that is just big enough for a good RC conversion to a working submarine. I won this kit in the raffle at the big meet in Carmel earlier this month, and wound up with just one week to get it built for today's event.
It has a set of three water tight compartments, one for motor and speed control, one for the battery pack, and one for the radio reciever and servos. The space between the tubes allows water through from the front opening in the hull back to the propeller, which is mounted in a tube and is gimballed to allow it to pivot left/right as well as up/down - this is the only control of the sub since it has no moving fins or control surfaces on the outside.
Here is what the inside looks like:

and in action at the pond:

This one is someone else's flying sub, notice the painted ring.

Here is some video. Running quite well for such a fast build, needs just a little more foam in the right wing to level it out better. Not bad for having its ballast position set in the sink at home!
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/HeHvuwQaHt8[/youtube1]

Now that this event is done, should be back on the Lombard build tomorrow, next up is adding the burner and fuel tank....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:59:05 PM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1919 on: August 20, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »
You need a hobby Chris.

:lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal