Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428403 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1830 on: July 25, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »
Those are some great pictures Chris, but I have to say, the guy doing the wood turning with gloves on is scary as hell!! A definite NO-NO!!!

Bill
Professional doesn't always mean smart!

The really fun tools they have there are the mast lathe, with a powered cutter wheel on an auto feed carriage, and the shipsaw, a giant bandsaw where the table stays horizontal and the saw tilts to the side as the wood is fed through, to do rolling bevels on ship frames. Fun tools!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1831 on: July 25, 2017, 12:28:13 AM »

Obviously

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1832 on: July 25, 2017, 12:57:06 AM »

Obviously

Bill
Not obvious to some professionals...  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1833 on: July 25, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »
Well, you can't whistle while you work without a whistle, so lets whistle one up....

Started with some 3/4" copper tubing, and turned an end cap and the base cap out of brass to be a snug fit in the ends of the tube.

Then milled a 1/8" slot across the end of the base cap, centered on the part that fits into the tube, and deep enough to meet the cross hole to bring in the air. This will distribute the steam from the hole to the shallow slot that leads into the tube. That slot was cut .007" deep, in several passes across the end. Between each pass the part was turned a few degrees in the vise, so that the final slot was about .400 wide.

Then, a hole was drilled from the back of the cap through to the cross slot (this will be plugged with a 4-40 screw).

Then another hole drilled in to meet that one from the side, and then that hole widened out for the M7 union fitting.

The mouth was milled on the side of the tube, leaving an arc at the far end.

and the near end squared up with the tube turned upright.

Here is the back hole end plugged, and the union fitting screwed and loctited into the side hole.

Then I was able to test the sound by blowing into the union fitting. The sound was a bit raspy and uneven, so I experimented a bit by covering the far end of the hole in the tube, and found that by reducing the length I got a nice clear note. So, cut a small bit of copper sheet and attached that, sounds much better now.

Just need to make up some piping and some ferrules for the unions, and I can start assembling things for real...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:55:24 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1834 on: July 26, 2017, 01:26:04 AM »
Nice Chris. Should sound even better with steam too. Would love to hear it, maybe a short audio file or something.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1835 on: July 26, 2017, 01:36:00 AM »
Nice Chris. Should sound even better with steam too. Would love to hear it, maybe a short audio file or something.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Should have seen that one coming. Or heard it coming, I guess! Here is a short video clip, with absolutely no action, but you can hear the sound from the whistle. I don't have it hooked up for the air compressor yet,  so this is still the sound from one lung-pressure.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwy23S_1kWI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwy23S_1kWI</a>

I spent some time earlier figuring out the bends on the tubing for the displaement lubricator, to lead from the output of the throttle valve to the steam pipe leading forward through the boiler, and got it pretty close to the drawing I made. Then, the brain far became obvious, when I held it up to the backhead, and realized the cap was directly under the whistle valve, so it would be impossible to get at and add oil.   :Mad:
Oh well, good thing copper tube can be re-annealed and re-bent many times!  Moose-pucky! Swarf-brain! and lots of other choice phrases...
  :facepalm:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1836 on: July 26, 2017, 01:44:44 AM »
Sweet!!!  Thanks.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #1837 on: July 26, 2017, 01:45:49 AM »
Chris, that sounds great with just lung power, should be louder and maybe a pitch or two higher under pressure.
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1838 on: July 26, 2017, 01:47:32 AM »
Chris, that sounds great with just lung power, should be louder and maybe a pitch or two higher under pressure.
It should sound simaler to the one on my Shay, which is almost the same size. Quite a bit louder under real pressure - I've been called a blowhard at some meetings, but I'm not up to 60psi, unless I get REALLY mad...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1839 on: July 27, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
The chuffer arrived from Summerlands today, wish I could steam up for a proper test but I still have a few more pipe bits to make first. So, I made a short video of it while running on air. Its a bit hard to add the chuffer while videoing, so I did it the other way round, started with it in place then removed it to show the difference. The camera doesn't pick up the reverb effect that well, but you get the idea of it. The end of the video is a compressed air test of the whistle too.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/H_OY-U4xxbc[/youtube1]

Edit: Forgot to include the picture of the chuffer unit. It slips down over the exhaust tube so that the unit is inside the stack, where it acts as a resonator to increase the sound of the exhaust. Under steam, these sound even better than with just compressed air.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:55:54 PM by crueby »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1840 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
Chris--I have never heard of a "chuffer" before. What does it actually do, and did full size train steam engines have them?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1841 on: July 27, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »
Chris--I have never heard of a "chuffer" before. What does it actually do, and did full size train steam engines have them?
They are made by a company in the UK called Summerlands, to add a better Chuff Chuff sound to small model live steam locos. They are sort of like a whistle in shape, and when placed on the end of the exhaust tube in the stack they act as a resonator to increase the volume of the sound. They come in a variety of sizes, tuned to the engine and stack size. Mechanically easy to make, the art is in sizing them. They now have a version with adjustment to the sound. I have them on my factory made G1 locos, sound change is quite dramatic. I made one for my Corliss twin, without it it is almost silent.
Real locomotives don't have them, the exhaust flow is heavy enough to make the sound, and they don't care about that anyway. The chuffer is just for sound.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1842 on: July 27, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »
Thank you Chris--One more thing I didn't know about explained.--Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1843 on: July 28, 2017, 12:00:31 AM »
Amazing how much difference the chuffer makes. I love it!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1844 on: July 28, 2017, 01:39:09 AM »
And when it is running on steam it should have even more pop to the sound.

Not too long now, just a bunch of little things to finish up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal