Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 435381 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1815 on: July 20, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
I began cutting metal for the steam manifold this morning. Started with the main top bar, trimmed to length then drilled a passage hole down the center, not quite out the far end, to connect all the piping. The end was threaded for a plug.

Then cut and drilled/tapped for the other two vertical bars, which will connect to the backhead of the boiler and hold the sight glass. All were bolted together. None of the passages go into these two parts, so bolts are enough, did not need soldering.

Then laid out and drilled/tapped all the holes. The bottom left and upper right holes need to be matches for the bushings on the boiler, so lots of careful measurements and rechecking...

Here are the parts so far, laid out with the sight glass and RC throttle valve that will go on later.

Last was to use a ball end mill to give the corners some shape, just for looks.

Here are the parts so far, along with one of the threaded studs to hold the throttle valve. Still need to make the fitting for the bottom of the sight glass, and the fitting for the pipe from the steam dome that goes on the back of the manifold. Then I can start on the whistle valve for the right hand end.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:54:34 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1816 on: July 21, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »
Some more work on the steam manifold today. I found one brainus-fartus, to use the latin technical term, in that the position of the inlet from the steam dome was not far enough to the side, and was interfering with the water fill bushing on the boiler. So, pluged that hole and drilled/tapped a new one farther over. The lower fitting that connects the sight glass to the boiler, and supports that end of the manifold is made:

Here is how the manifold will sit on the boiler backhead - still need to make the shoulder bolt that holds the right-hand end in place:

Some views of the manifold:

I thought I had picked up an all-brass pressure gauge, but I guess that never got beyond the shopping stage, so I am using the plastic housing one I had for now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:54:39 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1817 on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »
One more piece on the steam manifold - made the shoulder bolt to hold it in place at the right hand end, and fortunately all the double-checking of the measurements worked, it fit perfectly at both ends:

So, on to the whistle valve, which will go in the hole at the right end of the manifold. This will be a ball-check valve style, with a lever that pushes the ball out of its seat to let the steam through. Started with a 1-3/4" long piece of 1/2" hex bar, and cut the shoulder bolt that keeps the ball in place inside the valve:

The turned a shoulder on the remaining part of the bar, which will go through the hole in the mainfold. The center hole takes the bolt turned out first. The length of this part of the valve is the same as the thickness of the manifold, so that the bolt will clamp it in place and seal the joint with some gasket material.

Drilled the through hole the rest of the way through the bar. The shoulder between the wider start of the hole and this through-hole will form the shoulder for the ball.

The turned the part around, and drilled the other end for the o-ring retainer.

Next, over to the mill to drill/tap the 2-56 holes for screws to hold the o-ring retainer in place:

and then mill a slot for the bar to be silver soldered on top. This bar will have a hinge point for the actuating lever.

Drilled/tapped a hole in the opposite side which will get a union fitting to go to the pipe to the whistle itself.

Back to the lathe to turn the ring around the shank which will let the steam from the manifold into the bore regardless of how the valve is oriented. There is a hole from this ring into the center (did not show in the photo, on other side).

Here is how the valve will be mounted on the manifold.

Next steps: make the o-ring retainer and the union fitting, then silver solder the top hinge bar in place, and make the plunger and actuating lever.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:54:45 PM by crueby »

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #1818 on: July 22, 2017, 03:12:26 AM »
Nice work on the manifold.
What is the yellow tank in the last pic? Is that the butane gas?

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1819 on: July 22, 2017, 03:25:22 AM »
Nice work on the manifold.
What is the yellow tank in the last pic? Is that the butane gas?

John
Yes, that's the butane tank for the burner. Its just set there for now, but it's about where it will go. I'm using off the shelf parts for the tank, burner, etc. from gauge 1 locos. It should have enough oomph for this boiler, but if not I can upgrade the burner. The tank will be hidden under a fake woodpile that can be lifted off in one piece.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1820 on: July 22, 2017, 11:21:01 PM »
No new work on the model today, we had our monthly fun run at the pond with the RC boats (mainly subs, some surface boats, usually called 'targets' there too). Here is my little Delphin minisub sneaking in to sink the surface fleet...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1821 on: July 23, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »
Hopefully there were no casualties  ;) Looks like a beautiful day at the pond though. Did the shop elves behave themselves in your absence??

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1822 on: July 23, 2017, 12:33:46 AM »
Hopefully there were no casualties  ;) Looks like a beautiful day at the pond though. Did the shop elves behave themselves in your absence??

Bill

The fleet was close to shore, so the passengers got away easilly...   :ROFL:

The shop elves came along, took turns at the controls too. They kept chasing the geese though...

The weather was ideal, not too hot, enough overcast to keep it comfortable. This was the first outing for my little Delphin sub (modelled after an experimental WW-II german one-man sub) after solving a persistant slow leak problem - now runs about an hour or so on one battery pack with no need to let the water back out every 10 minutes. Very maneuverable, like flying a slow stunt plane. We have a show over in Skaneatlas coming up, then a big multi-day meet in Carmel Indiana in August at a giant reflecting pool (concrete pond) thats always a lot of fun, RC subs from all over the US and Canada show up for that one.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #1823 on: July 23, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
Warn the shop elves that you haven't lived until you have ha a Goose use the deck of your model as an aircraft carrier.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1824 on: July 23, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
Warn the shop elves that you haven't lived until you have ha a Goose use the deck of your model as an aircraft carrier.
Gerald.

Better than your head, I suppose, but not a lot better!   :lolb:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #1825 on: July 23, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
Chris I hope you took your fly rod with you, nice looking lake. I use to be into R/C boating and made several boats out of aluminum.
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1826 on: July 23, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
Chris I hope you took your fly rod with you, nice looking lake. I use to be into R/C boating and made several boats out of aluminum.

The fish in that pond are pretty small, and the place is so full of goose poo that it puts you off the fish anyway...!

I actually get a perfect fish every time I go fishing.... at the restaraunt... after ordering the Haddock!   :facepalm:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1827 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:15 PM »
Continuing on with the plumbing parts, got the whistle valve completed. Uses a 5/32" stainless ball bearing and spring as a check valve, with a plunger pushed by the outside lever to open the valve.

Also made up the dummy whistle for the steam dome, and the fitting to hold the 60# safety valve (Weebee brand).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:55:08 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1828 on: July 24, 2017, 11:42:16 PM »
I just finished up designing the functional whistle itself (will be 4" long, 3/4" diameter, and sit under the firebox) so I can start on making it. Getting close to having all the pipework made up, so I can assemble and seal everything, and add the insulation around the boiler.

Then, went over to the Mystic Seaport website to check on the Sabino rebuild, they have a new update on the shipyard blog showing the final wrapup on the steamer, it goes back in use next month. One nice thing to see (as a modeller who has been through the process, though on a MUCH smaller scale), was a set of videos of the engineers tweaking the valves to get the engine running again. Its not just us that goes through all the trial and error, the big guys have to go through it too!

https://www.mysticseaport.org/shipyard/2017/07/sabino-under-way/

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1829 on: July 25, 2017, 12:02:06 AM »
Those are some great pictures Chris, but I have to say, the guy doing the wood turning with gloves on is scary as hell!! A definite NO-NO!!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal