Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 439483 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1785 on: July 17, 2017, 02:12:32 AM »
I can almost see a fire in the boiled in that picture with the door open. Amazing work as always.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1786 on: July 17, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
Started in today on the folding panels that go above the woodbox to let them pile the wood up to the roof. Here is a picture of the real one:

As you can see, the hinges are long bars that hold all of the slats in place, there is one bar on either side of each slat, with one side having a loop at the end to form the hinge. It doesnt show in that photo, but there is a similar bar down the side of the woodbox to form the lower end of the hinge. I am going to hinge the rear set as well, since the roof is removeable so I cannot fix the upper end like it should be. All the panels get a hook arrangement at the top to hold them upright - that is visible at the front of the right hand opening, up against the center wall.

So, to make those up, I started out by cutting some small tube and a set of steel bar stock, and made up a little jig to hold everything in place to silver solder up four bars at a time.

Add flux, solder, and heat:

After cooling, the tube was cut to seperate the bars - had to do that carefully since the soldering annealed the brass tubing. Maybe I should have drilled some steel rod rather than use the brass!
Anyway, here are the parts all soldered up, some cut apart. The ones in the right show how they will be on the hinge pin.

Next step, drill the screw holes in the bars, and then make up the wood slats...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:52:57 PM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1787 on: July 18, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
Got the hinges drilled:

and installed:

Ready to make the latches to hold them upright, and some paint.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:53:03 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1788 on: July 18, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »
That adds even more wonderful detail Chris!!  It looks like in the full size picture that the back slats are more permanently fixed with only the side once being able to swing down. Is that the case?

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1789 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
That adds even more wonderful detail Chris!!  It looks like in the full size picture that the back slats are more permanently fixed with only the side once being able to swing down. Is that the case?

Bill
You are correct - however, since the roof of the model comes off with the cab, I had to hinge the back section as well. One (more) minor change from the original. Getting the shop elf/engineer to bolt/unbolt that top set of brackets every time I wanted to remove the cab would have cost me SO many more cookies!!

:cheers:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1790 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
That makes sense yes. Does the whole cab come off for operation or just the roof to allow access to the controls, valves, etc.?

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1791 on: July 18, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
That makes sense yes. Does the whole cab come off for operation or just the roof to allow access to the controls, valves, etc.?

Bill

Picture/Words/1000   :atcomputer:

The center wall of the cab sits down in a slot, I am going to add a couple of guide pins in the front corners to keep it aligned. I thought about making just the roof come off, but the walls restrict access too much. This way, I can get at everything. The butane tank and RC gear will be hidden under a fake woodpile in the back.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:53:22 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1792 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:03 PM »
Damn Chris you just keep setting the scale higher Dog. That is some awesome work and looking like museum work. I just love the look of it man and did I say ......I.........like........ :Love:

Don  :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1793 on: July 18, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »
Thanks Don, though some bad news to report. Apparently TenneseeWhiskey sent my shop elves the recipe for some moonshine, and they fermented some cookies and York peppermint patties into a peppermint schnappes, and had a little party. It all went well till they took the corner too fast, and rolled the Lombard over coming down the hill:
 :facepalm:    :paranoia:

:lolb:
Actually, I just turned it on its side to get easier access to the nuts and bolts that hold the cab floor to the frame!   :) The floor is far enough along, I hope, that it can be bolted in now. The only things to be done to it now are to bolt in things like the butane tank and radio, and that can be done with a hand drill.

I got some coats of paint on the woodbox slots, here are some overall views of how it looks now:

Next parts to go, I think I will alternate between work on the steam piping/manifold on the backhead, and making up the rest of the ironwork on the cab: ladders, holders for the slats and doors, handrails, that sort of fiddly stuff. Then on to the whistle valve and whistle (going to make one about 4 to 6 inches long that will tuck under the firebox, will give it a deeper sound than the scale size one, which would call all the chipmunks in the area). I have some RC boat events coming up for the next few weeks, which will slow things down. Also, coming up on August 9-12 there is a steam pageant down in the Finger Lakes region near here that is a lot of fun - they have a building with models on display (running on compressed air), plus LOTS of traction engines and tractors running around, along with sawmill/shingle mill, plowing, construction equipment playing in the dirt piles out back. Great show. If you are near western NY state, come on out. I'll be there, probably either Thursday or Friday - let me know if you can make it up and we can meet up.
http://www.pageantofsteam.org/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:53:28 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1794 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:03 AM »
Those family shots just get better and better Chris!!!

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1795 on: July 19, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
Those family shots just get better and better Chris!!!

Bill
Thanks Bill! The last big visual change will be when I get the box seat and floor in for the steersman. It has changed a lot just in the last couple of weeks.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1796 on: July 19, 2017, 12:57:11 AM »
Oh wow.  Incredible Chris; just incredible.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #1797 on: July 19, 2017, 01:18:20 AM »
Speechless....
 :praise2:
Just fantastic. Beautiful.

John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1798 on: July 19, 2017, 03:29:40 AM »
Looking just amazing Chris, as usual!  :popcorn:

Hope the Elves are OK after their incident the other night!  :Lol:
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1799 on: July 19, 2017, 03:40:27 AM »
Thanks everyone, very kind! I think I am sold on steam vehicles rather than stationary engine projects, so much more variety of things to make. I can't wait to see it going around the driveway!

Kim, the shop elves just have a few scrapes and massive (for their size anyway) hangovers. They've turned the teapot into a sauna to recover...!  I docked their pay to cover the damage to the paintwork, and the tools they lost on the joyride.

:lolb:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal