Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 438227 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1650 on: June 22, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »
Chris, the door is looking great. I love the old square nuts: when we used to find those on old farm equipment we would have to get tools out of Granddaddy's tool box 8) . I thought the non contact side has a bit of a chamfer on them like this one though :thinking:

http://ancientpoint.com/imgs/a/j/s/n/d/58___11__x_1__square_head_machine_bolts_with_nuts_plain_steel_made_in_usa_qty___12_1_lgw.jpg
 Still  :popcorn: and following along.

Eric
The nuts on the door do have some chamfer filed in as they were filed off, too small to see in the pictures though.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #1651 on: June 22, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
Thought that might be the case :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1652 on: June 23, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
The door hinges are done - most is made of some square bar stock, just the one piece that fits against the inside of the boiler shell had to be rounded on one side, using the rotary table on the mill.

Here are the end parts, one that is bolted to the door, the other that bolts to the boiler:

and in place with the horizontal members. Both ends can pivot, so the door can swing out then around to the side. This position is important, since it both gives the most access to the smoke box, and also will clear the angled support member that comes up from the front of the frame to the end of the smokebox.

And finally, the door swung closed:

All moves and fits well, so time to move on to the rest of the fittings and piping on the boiler...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:31:44 PM by crueby »

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #1653 on: June 23, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »
Chris, Very cool setup. I look forward to getting new up dates. keep up the good work

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1654 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »
Dog that is just to cool man. Did I say ....I........like........ :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1655 on: June 23, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Thanks guys! Nice to have you along for the ride!

Now that the door has been shut on the smokebox, time to elbow in some room for the plumbing...

There are five elbows and one tee needed for the piping from the front of the boiler to the cylinders. They started out as some brass rod stock, long enough to make them all, with the end flanges left proud of the rest, which was taken down to 1/4" diameter. Each section was turned, then the stock moved out for the next section.

Then the bar was taken over to the mill, leveled up in the vise, and a 1/4" end mill used to plunge cut halfway through the bar at each intersection.

Next, a section of another bar was turned down to be a tight fit in each of the holes just milled, then parted off to form the other half of the elbow:

Here all the sections were press fit into the holes, ready for a ring of silver solder around each one:

After soldering and cleaning them up again, the group of parts was back in the vise, and I drilled the bore down to the center of the elbow, with careful measuring and turn counting to make sure the depth was right, and counter drilled the flange to fit the tubing:

At this point, the parts were all cut apart next to the flanges, and the holes drilled/counterdrilled in the second side, with some careful measuring again to make sure I didn't go too deep.

Here are the parts so far, all soldered up, and drilled.

Next, up to the belt sander to take the cut end down flush to the side, and rounded off to finish the parts:

Next step will be to cut all the pipes to length, and solder them in place in the flanges. The joints to the Tee section inside the smokebox will have union fittings next to them, so that everything can be assembled through the smokebox holes. Also, a union fitting will go on the top pipe where it joins the steam pipe coming out of the boiler (which will connect to the throttle on the back of the boiler).
The exhaust fittings will need another elbow and a tee, but the tee is a curved one, not sure how to best make that one yet. Here is a picture of the real thing:

Have to think on that one a bit...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:31:52 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1656 on: June 23, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Now that smoke box door hinge is just slick! Is the door still a nice push fit?....thinking of keeping the smoke box under vacuum? I guess it comes out the first part straight then pivots?
Hope the elves know not to try opening it when they are out & about or the driver is going to have a problem!

The elbows & tee came out very nice....put that on the growing list of things to remember

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1657 on: June 24, 2017, 12:31:25 AM »
Yup, the door rim edge is a loose-ish fit, but has to come straight out about 1/16" before pivoting to the side. The edges are slightly tapered so it is easy enough to move but stays in place. I may need to tweak that if it sticks when the burner is going. Hope the elves don't use it as a pizza oven! It was interesting on the real engine that the builder plate in the middle of the door was warm but touchable when driving, good since your back touches it on bumps.

The method of making the elbows is not mine, another thing learned from kozo's books. Works great, quicker and cheaper than buying the castings.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1658 on: June 24, 2017, 12:43:34 AM »
Another productive week obviously from your shop Chris. The smokebox door looks fantastic, that is a very slick way of doing it.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1659 on: June 24, 2017, 01:13:53 AM »
Another productive week obviously from your shop Chris. The smokebox door looks fantastic, that is a very slick way of doing it.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I don't remember where I first saw that kind of hinge, door on a  autoclave or pressure chamber maybe? Simple and completely hidden.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1660 on: June 24, 2017, 01:25:28 AM »
That's slicker then a minnow Chris, it just keeps getting better Dog....... :praise2:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1661 on: June 26, 2017, 02:05:46 AM »
 :whoohoo: Chris,

As Leghorn Foghorn used to say at...." Boy I say boy, I found it, I found it!"

Finally going back thru enuff ME magazines, I found the article on machining the chimney base!

It's in Model Engineer No 4422 January 2012.

Cheers Kerrin

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1662 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:17 AM »
:whoohoo: Chris,

As Leghorn Foghorn used to say at...." Boy I say boy, I found it, I found it!"

Finally going back thru enuff ME magazines, I found the article on machining the chimney base!

It's in Model Engineer No 4422 January 2012.

Cheers Kerrin
Hmmm... That must make you Barnyard Dawg...!

I didn't get much shop time today, was out doing other stuff, but did get over to the next town (LeRoy) and get a whole bunch of photos of the Marion 91 steam shovel that is parked in the field across from the quarry there - supposed to be the only remaining model 91, the same type as was used on the Panama Canal, though they don't know if this one was there or not. It has the later modification to convert from a railway carriage mount to the crawler tracks, that was done about 1923. The historical society has found the disc with the cad drawings on it, working out with them to get a copy...
Here is a picture of it, I took lots of detail shots all along it, from a bunch of angles. The field is fenced off so I could not get right up to it or to the far side though. Going in the future projects file....

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:32:07 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1663 on: June 26, 2017, 02:45:00 AM »
Hi Chris,

Hehehee!

See attached for the setup. He does comment that using the slitting saw like this WITHOUT taking lite cuts could be a bit hard on the saw & that a side & face cutter would be better. His set up using a 2" slot drill  he says is best avoided at all costs!
Yep I guess there's a bit of finishing off to do! Mind you using flapper sanding drum of the same dia I think would clean it up reasonably quick using the same setup.

Cheers Kerrin

It looks like in my excitement I forgot to attach the picture!, so here it is!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:48:58 PM by Steamer5 »

Offline kvom

« Reply #1664 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »
That curved T might need to be printed.  Perhaps a Shapeways job?

I presume the door hinge was checked against interference with the blast nozzle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal