Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 435519 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1500 on: May 25, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
Interesting side detail on the engine. I was asking about the boiler insulation on the original (was asbestos originally, for the restoration they used a more safe modern insulation material instead). They pointed out that on the cylinders themselves there is a wrap of insulation around the center section, and there are also endcaps bolted on with insulation inside, and heavy cast iron caps sit down over the steam chests with more insulation.

The end caps are bolted on, but the top caps are just held by thier own weight. These caps are the original Lombard castings, they are in the Lombard parts lists too. I have never seen that done before, but I guess it makes sense given the extreme cold these were used in. Anyone know if that was common for locomotives as well?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:23:37 PM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1501 on: May 25, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
More progress on the boiler plans, got the rest of the bushings and such in, as well as the stack. Still need to do the smokebox door...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:23:44 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1502 on: May 25, 2017, 10:52:23 PM »
Chris as usual I am late chimimg in but man that is just awesome and a big grin on your face for sure. Looks like you got the binding out and she runs smooth. Damn Dog .....I........like...... :Love:

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1503 on: May 25, 2017, 11:53:23 PM »
Chris as usual I am late chimimg in but man that is just awesome and a big grin on your face for sure. Looks like you got the binding out and she runs smooth. Damn Dog .....I........like...... :Love:

Don
Thanks Don! I am incredibly pleased with how it is running now, going nice and slow across the floor, steers well, self starting every time, only problem is the face hurting from all the smiling!

Had a cold rainy day here today, spent most of it designing up the boiler. The complicated bits are getting the piping in the smokebox for the steam supply to the cylinders figured out, deciding where to put the union nut fittings so it can be assembled in place. On the real thing it was curved pipe and cast fittings, for the model straight pipe and 90 degree joints are more practical. I think. So far. Think I've got that sorted out, had to model up the unions too, changed my mind partway through on the pipe size to use, started out too large.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1504 on: May 26, 2017, 04:54:17 AM »
It was wonderful to see those initial runs across the carpet. I bet that was quite the rush! Especially after just getting back from riding on the full sized version.  :cheers:

Jim (also smiling out here in the west)  :)

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1505 on: May 26, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »
More work done on the boiler 3D modelling, cleared out some of the cobwebs and brain farts and reduced the number of union fittings, more silver soldered fittings, should be much easier to assemble this way.
Still need to model up the steam dome fittings, sight glass, etc. Getting close to ready to convert to plans and start shaping metal...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:24:04 PM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1506 on: May 29, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »
I think I have nearly finished up the 3D modelling on the boiler. The front door has an amazing number of parts and shapes. Still need to decide where it will hinge for the model - I am leaning towards having the entire door and its rim swing out to give best access to the smokebox for getting at the fittings, plus lighting the burner and visually checking the flame on it during running. To do that, and not have any outside hinge added, am currently leaning towards a double hinged bar on the inside that attaches to one side of the shell...
Anyway, here it is so far, rendered up with the rest of the hauler:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:24:11 PM by crueby »

Offline kvom

« Reply #1507 on: May 29, 2017, 12:47:18 AM »
For the smokebox door I suggest dummy hinges and bolts except for 4 screws to attach the door to the smokebox.  Just remove the entire door for access.  Most of the locos at our club do it this way.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1508 on: May 29, 2017, 01:01:53 AM »
For the smokebox door I suggest dummy hinges and bolts except for 4 screws to attach the door to the smokebox.  Just remove the entire door for access.  Most of the locos at our club do it this way.
Thats a possibility. I was leaning towards an internal hinge to make it quick to open/close, handy for quick lighting and checking of the burner (butane fired). I'll see how it works out in next 3d session...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1509 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:08 AM »
For some reason, I'm no longer receiving automatic notifications of new comments made in this thread. I love what you are doing, and perhaps by reposting in the thread the notifications will start working again.---Brian

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1510 on: May 29, 2017, 01:24:36 AM »
For some reason, I'm no longer receiving automatic notifications of new comments made in this thread. I love what you are doing, and perhaps by reposting in the thread the notifications will start working again.---Brian
Maybe your shop elves are intercepting your emails...  :Lol:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1511 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Just checking in Chris. Will be interesting to see how you tackle the boiler. No doubt with your usual finesse and attention to detail. The drawings look great though!

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1512 on: May 29, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Just checking in Chris. Will be interesting to see how you tackle the boiler. No doubt with your usual finesse and attention to detail. The drawings look great though!

Bill
Thanks Bill, looks like I will start cutting and bending copper this week. The end caps will be formed from sheet stock, using the kinds of formers that Kozo shows in his books, and I have sketched up some holders for the boiler tube for securing it in the mill to do all the drilling and boring of holes...

On the future project front, I got hold of the local historical society that controls the Marion 91 steam shovel (Panama canal type!) sitting outside a local quarry, hoping to get permission to measure and photograph it, turns out someone had already done detail cad drawings of it, they just need to dig out the disc for me. Here's hoping its a detailed set...!

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #1513 on: May 29, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
This thing is just amazing, you do excellent work and do it fast too! I still would like to build one of these someday!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1514 on: May 30, 2017, 02:40:41 AM »
This thing is just amazing, you do excellent work and do it fast too! I still would like to build one of these someday!
Thanks!

You just need to cut the first part to get started. Then make a few thousand more!  :thinking:

I got the boiler 3d model done, and generated the drawings from it (12 pages worth!), So I can get started on cutting copper finally.

Well, almost. First some wood fixture parts to hold the tube and form the end caps with...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal