Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 437941 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1485 on: May 22, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
Awww wow! That's some nice photo's Chris thanks for sharing. Now I see the real Machine in action. Oh by the way nice mug shot there Dog...... :cheers:

Don

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1486 on: May 22, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
Great pictures, videos and build log  :praise2:

Chris I've enjoyed your build log ever since you did your Shay  :whoohoo: and now you has sneaked up on another "centennial" (100 pages) and this says a lot about how much everybody here enjoys them too  :NotWorthy:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1487 on: May 22, 2017, 10:53:37 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Have you managed to stop grinning yet?

Great photos & videos, nice to see all the detail going round on the tracks, makes all the following along of your build come together very nicely! Now looking forward to the rest!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1488 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:20 PM »
Thanks guys!   :cheers:

And yes, still grinning!  ^-^

Just a wonderful trip, even the weather finally got nice, 70s to 90s all week after a really rainy spring. I've got most things unpacked, not all put away, and LOTS more pictures to sort out to draw plans from...

At present, doubt I will be back up there for the July run, probably will wait for the fall event, should have it all complete by then - about 10 hours drive time one way to get there is a looonnng way to go, but it was well worth it!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1489 on: May 23, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
This morning I spent some time transcribing measurements of the real machine's boiler from the trip, then was putting away the last of the stuff from the trip and decided it was time for a REAL test of the model. I put a quick shutoff valve on the base of the compressor hose, and moved it all out to the great room where there is about a 20' space of carpet with nothing in the way. Applied some pressure, and ITS ALIVE!!! And even the roller bearing chains worked! Not easy to control the speed with a quarter-turn shutoff valve, so it jumps a bit, but not bad!!

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/KsPkY1yXY2Q[/youtube1]

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/gkTtC9Ho-sY[/youtube1]

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/cz_6Xy9Ph1w[/youtube1]

:cartwheel:
 :pinkelephant:
 :whoohoo:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1490 on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
Amazing Chris, you are getting things dialed in now and it shows, it doesn't appear that jumpy at all. Just hope you didn't leave oily tracks or you may find yourself in the dog house :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1491 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
Amazing Chris, you are getting things dialed in now and it shows, it doesn't appear that jumpy at all. Just hope you didn't leave oily tracks or you may find yourself in the dog house :)

Bill
No worries there, the lube I used is a synthetic that dries, no oily residue.

Ran it a bunch of times back and forth, only had a cotter pin wire snag a carpet fiber once. Very encouraging to see it run so easily with low air consumption. Still grinning!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1492 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
Hi all,

With the boiler work about to start, I have been looking at making the round plate for the center of the smokebox door, which has the engine number and manufacturer name. Any recommendations on a source for getting one made  someplace that does custom photo etching on metal? I can provide the artwork, but am not set up for the etching work, and the detail in​ the letters for a .800" plate is too small for me to carve.
Any good places to try, any to avoid?

Thanks!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #1493 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
Wow, Brilliant, great to see it running....All that work has really paid off...now comes some real muscle work rather than letting the electric motors do it all!! Looking forward to it going under steam ! :praise2:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1494 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:14 AM »
Wow, Brilliant, great to see it running....All that work has really paid off...now comes some real muscle work rather than letting the electric motors do it all!! Looking forward to it going under steam ! :praise2:

Thanks Willy! Could you hear my giggling from there when I got it running across the floor the first time? I think I stopped the camera just before the excited laughter started!  :embarassed:

I've been going through the pictures I took at the museum last week extracting all the measurements on the boiler and saddle tank so I can draw up the plans. While I was there, I kept getting asked "Are you STILL taking pictures?", but it looks like I took just enough! Considering that it is a 10 hour drive one way to get there, it was well worth a full day of measuring and picture taking of all the angles, parts, lengths, widths, etc.  To save time there, I held up a tape measure to everything and took pictures of that in place, so I can take my time and get all the details in comfort at home.

So far I have not hit anything I could not get a measurement on, even sizes of rivets and thier spacing. When starting the model, I had taken some of the part dimensions to nearest stock sizes, for things like shafts especially. One thing I am hoping to do is to generate a second set of plans with full dimensions to document the original machine - something the museum does not have, sure they will like a copy! I wish they were closer, so I could make numerous day trips like you are able to do on the Beeleigh Mill engine.

I should have the boiler drawn up in a few days, and start in on the fabrication of it by next week.

:cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1495 on: May 24, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
 :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:
Awesome Chris! Just awesome.

My expenditure for popcorn is well paid off.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1496 on: May 24, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
:pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:
Awesome Chris! Just awesome.

My expenditure for popcorn is well paid off.  ;D

Thanks Carl!

Spent this morning getting the artwork drawn up for the front nameplate, giving a place in UK called Narrow Planet a try to get them etched, very reasonable price.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1497 on: May 24, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
I found myself with a big grin watching the videos Chris.  I can't imagine how big your's was.  Your cheeks must ache.  I've said it numerous times,  I just think that this is such a cool project.  Congratulations on a successful test.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1498 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
I found myself with a big grin watching the videos Chris.  I can't imagine how big your's was.  Your cheeks must ache.  I've said it numerous times,  I just think that this is such a cool project.  Congratulations on a successful test.

-Bob

Thanks Bob!

Today the tracks and sprockets I ordered (LynxMotion) for the treadmill base arrived, they look perfect - about a 1" by 2" rubber tread on each one, so they will grip well, and the sprockets engage nicely so I can make up a common axle set for both tracks. The plan is to set up one of these tracks, each the length of the model tracks, under each side for the model to sit on. The top of these tracks will be at the height of the display base, which will get a surface that looks like the iced road that the hauler would run on, maybe a terrified deer off at one corner! With that setup, I can run on air for indoor demonstrations, and still remove the model for running outside on steam. Stay tuned for progress pics as that comes together - still have another set of pictures to go through for the rest of the boiler/tank measurements so I can draw that up...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1499 on: May 25, 2017, 12:36:24 AM »
Good start today on the boiler design for the model, got the shell, endplates, and some of the bushings in, still need to do more fittings, smokestack, etc.

The steam dome looks unusually tall, but since this machine has a saddle tank, the dome is taller to clear the top of the tank so the whistle, safety valve can be up top. Glad that the museum had the old boiler sitting out to take measurements from!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:23:31 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal