Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428747 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1455 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38:02 AM »
Most excellent Chris!!  Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures please.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1456 on: May 14, 2017, 02:02:26 AM »
Most excellent Chris!!  Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures please.

Bill
Count on it! I am planning on doing a full photo survey (with measurements) of their Lombard (I think they actually have a second one on loan, at least they did during the restoration process that they used for duplicating missing parts from, if so will get shots of that too). Also pics/videos of the machines running. Probably will put up an album online of a selection of them.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1457 on: May 15, 2017, 06:49:13 PM »
Looking great Chris and I do see some binding of the chains causing it to slow down. If you watch the chain you can see it tighten up and the speed slow down. But hey Dog I love it man outstanding.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1458 on: May 15, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
Looking great Chris and I do see some binding of the chains causing it to slow down. If you watch the chain you can see it tighten up and the speed slow down. But hey Dog I love it man outstanding.

Don
Yup, got a couple of those spots fixed before I packed it up, need to taper the sprocket tooth tips just a little more to get it to center the incoming links better, not bad for first couple of runs though, very happy with it so far. Lots to do when I get home. Meanwhile, back out to the beach before it gets dark!

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1459 on: May 17, 2017, 02:33:28 AM »
I spent a great day at the logging museum photographing and measuring the cab and boiler on their Lombard. Well, both, they have a second one on loan, but its boiler is the original, so they just move it on air. Interesting to compare the two, just a few minor differences, the cab is a bit different and it has a shelter over the steering position.

Also showed them my Shay and the Lombard model in its current state, here is a video compilation of that which Herb Crosby put together of that.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Op4gDntHE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Op4gDntHE</a>

The group there is amazing, very helpful, friendly, and talented. I am really looking forward to seeing their Lombard run Saturday. Today they moved it outside on compressed air to do some leak tests after the recent boiler inspection. All well, one minor leak on the whistle base. I did get to blow the whistle, great fun! Also got a tour of their sawmill, water powered, and the line shaft driven machine shop, reminded me a lot of John's diorama.
Took tons of photos, will put up an album after I get home. Also vids from the run Saturday... Gonna sleep like a log tonight!

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #1460 on: May 17, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
Great video Chris!

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1461 on: May 17, 2017, 03:26:15 AM »
Well Dave beat me to it. Sure looks like you had a very interested audience. Looking forward to all the pictures too, once you get home. Enjoy the week!!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1462 on: May 17, 2017, 03:30:20 AM »
Enjoyed the video Chris. Sounds like the folks were pretty impressed with your work (no surprise there), as I'm sure you will be with theirs.  :)

So did you leave the Shop Elves at home? Party time at the Rueby residence!  :whoohoo:  :DrinkPint:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1463 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »
Let's hope they don't run out of cookies before Chris's return. Hungry mad gnomes is not a pretty picture   :ShakeHead:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1464 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
The elves are well supervised, otherwise the house would be a smoking ruin by now! Then all the neighbors shiny bits go missing, all sorts of havoc as they spread. Shop elves are a big responsibility!!

:Lol:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1465 on: May 17, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
Chris, I enjoyed the video, thanks for posting.   .......never seen a Shay in detail before. It's also nice as a recent member to put a face to a name!

Regards..........Terry

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1466 on: May 17, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
Just awesome Chris we get to see your mug and the models together. Just down right great craftsmanship and a great presentation. I..........like.........  :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #1467 on: May 19, 2017, 05:59:23 AM »
If its not too late to enquire with the Lombard restorers, Have they had any issues with the seals on top of the valves, any leak past, how much, etc. etc. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1468 on: May 19, 2017, 11:21:24 AM »
If its not too late to enquire with the Lombard restorers, Have they had any issues with the seals on top of the valves, any leak past, how much, etc. etc. Regards Paul Gough.
I was talking with them Tuesday about the recent inspection and was there when they did a leak test, only spot with any concern this year was the valves at the base of the whistle coming off the steam dome, that had leaks in two places. The rest was good, but that test was with air, not steam. I'll be able to see about leaks tomorrow morning as they steam up, they said it would be several hours to fill and get up pressure.
Actually, there was one big leak, it was in the fire hose right after the pump coming off the creek to pump the water up the hill to the barn to the Hauler, was jetting through the fabric like crazy!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1469 on: May 20, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Just spent another day at the logging museum, got there early to watch the watering up, steaming up, and lubing up all the bearings. Got to see inside more of it that way, and learned a lot from the engineer. Also there were two brothers that were taking measurements too, they have most of the parts to another real Lombard that they are restoring!

At noontime they started running the hauler around a long loop of trails, got to both ride in the cab and also steered for a circuit!  :whoohoo:

Given the 15:1 reduction from the steering wheel to the axle, it took lots of turns to steer, but I was surprised how much kickback there was from bumps, have to keep your thumbs out of the inside of the wheel or you will break them off.

Got lots more pics and videos, will get them posted in a couple of days.

Awesome week!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal