Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 436754 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1275 on: April 25, 2017, 11:38:26 PM »
I've been busy but still trying to watch and  :popcorn:
Looking good.

Goes for all you other members too. I try and read as much as I can.
Thanks Zee, we are all waiting for the invites to your open house and shop tours when the construction is done!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1276 on: April 26, 2017, 02:25:49 AM »
Exceptional work as always Chris. One of my go to threads on a daily basis.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1277 on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:07 AM »
Exceptional work as always Chris. One of my go to threads on a daily basis.

Bill
Thanks Bill!

Not much on the model today, just a second coat of paint on some of the engine parts. Finally got some really nice weather here, and went wandering in the canoe! Tomorrow looks to be mid-80s before a drop back to milder stuff for a couple days...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1278 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:49 AM »
Chris, have you ever considered getting a shim punch set similar to this:https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/52426152

If you watch for sales you can get it for about half that price and this set can punch washers as well in soft materials up to .020" thick and in steel shim stock up to about .010" Would work well for that 1/64" fiber gasket stock you linked to. I will usually make a plan copy of the part needing the gasket and glue it to the gasket material and then use that as a guide for punching all the holes. Works like a charm and makes nice clean holes easily. Just a thought.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1279 on: April 27, 2017, 01:19:47 AM »
Chris, have you ever considered getting a shim punch set similar to this:https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/52426152

If you watch for sales you can get it for about half that price and this set can punch washers as well in soft materials up to .020" thick and in steel shim stock up to about .010" Would work well for that 1/64" fiber gasket stock you linked to. I will usually make a plan copy of the part needing the gasket and glue it to the gasket material and then use that as a guide for punching all the holes. Works like a charm and makes nice clean holes easily. Just a thought.

Bill
Used one back in my working days, one of the techs had one in his toolbox in the lab. Using the kife method, it goes really quick, and leaves a little material around the screw shanks that helps them seal when the holes are really close to the edges, which they are a lot. This gasket material cuts really asy, but has enough fibers that the holes dont rip out. The larger openings would still need to be cut anyway. Guess I am just stuck in that rut! Lazy? Yes. Have my habits ingrained really deep? Yup!
Doing all 8 of these gaskets only took about 10 minutes total anyway.

:cheers:

Offline AOG

« Reply #1280 on: April 27, 2017, 02:24:53 AM »
Here's a trick I learned for making those gaskets. Before you put in the studs, mark out the gaskets by pressing the cylinder ends and steam chest into a stamp pad and then the gasket material. That will give you an outline with all of the holes marked. It makes cutting them out much easier.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:53:55 AM by AOG »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1281 on: April 27, 2017, 02:39:35 AM »
Here's a trick I learned for make those gaskets. Before you put in the studs, mark out the gaskets by pressing the cylinder ends and steam chest into a stamp pad and then the gasket material. That will give you an outline with all of the holes marked. It makes cutting them out much easier.

Tony
Now that is clever! Thanks!!

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #1282 on: April 27, 2017, 06:42:13 AM »
I second that! Thanks Tony, An old dog like me needs some new tricks. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #1283 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »
I used to use oil instead of ink in my youth - and completely forgot about it until Tony mentioned his method  :old:
Ink gives better contrast and oil is already in the workshop and easier to clean  :thinking:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1284 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
I should have thought of it - have used a simaler technique when inletting parts into gun stocks, using 'inletting black' which is basically a thick ink that does not dry out. Dab a little on a part, press it into place in the recess it is going in, and it leaves a black mark wherever it is touching at the bottom or along the sides of the hole. Keep removing those spots, and it will slide right in.
Thanks Tony!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1285 on: April 27, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
Speaking of gaskets...
I have a CO2 laser. Useful for making gaskets? Or will the material simply burn?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1286 on: April 28, 2017, 01:06:30 AM »
Speaking of gaskets...
I have a CO2 laser. Useful for making gaskets? Or will the material simply burn?
Interesting question. If it can cut through before the surrounding fibers catch it should be good. This material is meant for auto use, so the flash point should be a little higher than plain paper.

Is it a plotter type laser or handheld?

How many gigawatts is it?   :zap:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1287 on: April 28, 2017, 01:22:43 AM »

Plotter. Currently buried under a bunch of stuff in the basement.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1288 on: April 28, 2017, 01:28:34 AM »

Plotter. Currently buried under a bunch of stuff in the basement.
Worth a try, be interesting to see how it works out. You should be able to use it for wood parts for your diorama too!

Online Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1289 on: April 28, 2017, 03:50:24 AM »
Hi Chris,
 So the rest of the  :popcorn: is in! So should have enuff to get thru the winter watching you in summer making progress!

Oh & when Zee brakes out the laser & starts vaporizing gaskets we'll have a heat source for more  :popcorn:! Be interested to see how it goes Zee. Seen advertised here on the box a plotter cutter thingy for craft work & wondered how it would work on gaskets, might have to do some more investergating!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal