Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428321 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1230 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:07 PM »
One last thing for the day - drilled the holes for the crosshead guides in the rail brackets, and got it all assembled again. Hopefully I dont have to take it all apart again, but that does always happen to get at something in the middle! At a minimum the cylinders will get unbolted for the piston and steam chest fittings.

Anyway, here are some family shots of everything, including a couple with the boiler tube (still uncut, hanging out the back longer than it will) sitting in place. Good time to sit back and admire the work so far before heading off to dinner. Always need a good chair in any workshop for that purpose!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:44:03 PM by crueby »

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #1231 on: April 19, 2017, 11:26:59 PM »
And if had done all this fine work I would spend time in a good chair looking at it as well.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1232 on: April 20, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »
Nice shots!

Really cool model.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1233 on: April 20, 2017, 03:27:34 AM »
Good work Chris. That "bad boy" is starting to bulk up.

You deserve some arm chair time.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1234 on: April 20, 2017, 03:41:24 AM »
Thanks guys!

Definitely needed some chair time, been spring cleaning and organizing the shops, gotten a bit overgrown with the variety of boat, car, rc and furniture refinishing projects this past winter, time to clear up the leftovers and get some working room back.still got a bunch to do, lots more trips up and down stairs.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1235 on: April 20, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
Hi Chris,
 I'm glad that the guys have harvested at least some of the  :popcorn:!

At the rate you're going I don't think I'll have enuff short term!

Looking really good!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1236 on: April 20, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
I got a start on the steam chests this afternoon, starting by offseting the blank in the 4-jaw

to turn in the boss for the steam inlet pipe, which was drilled/tapped on the outer portion for an M4 fitting, and a 1/8" hole all the way in to the center area.

Did both chests to that stage, then turned them around and turned in the boss on the other end for the valve rod boss,

which was drilled through for a 5/64" rod and threaded M6 for the packing gland

Here are the steam chests and covers so far

and then marked out for the center section to be removed:

That area will be chain drilled around the edge, and the center milled out and smoothed up. Probably tomorrow for that...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:44:14 PM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1237 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:26 AM »
Good example of using your indicator setup to offset a piece in the 4 jaw Chris. It looks like the offset boss may have come pretty close to the edge of the chuck opening when centering it for the centered boss?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1238 on: April 21, 2017, 03:28:25 AM »
Good example of using your indicator setup to offset a piece in the 4 jaw Chris. It looks like the offset boss may have come pretty close to the edge of the chuck opening when centering it for the centered boss?

Jim
Hi Jim,

It was close on two fronts (or sides?)

The offset for the first boss put the end of the one jaw very close to hitting the lathe bed. Then when doing the centered one, the first one just made it to the middle opening of the chuck. The boss was a little too large to fit in the jaw slot. Both cases could have been worked around, but everything cleared fine and I could put the back face against the chuck to know it was square. Just ran the speed down for the interrupted cuts, all came out good.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #1239 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
I am still watching this masterpiece progress.  :)

Nick

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #1240 on: April 21, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
Very cool piece coming together!

Are the cylinder center lines really that much lower than the crank shaft?   Looks goofy but don't recall the prototype.
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1241 on: April 21, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
That is one bad ass Machine Chris! Your the man Dog........ :praise2:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1242 on: April 21, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
Thanks guys! Very kind.

Jared - the centerline of the crankshaft is only a little above the centerline of the piston, and it shows that way in the drawings and photos of the original too. I think they had to raise it slightly to get clearance for the differential  case above the ground, and the engine had to be low enough so the reversing gear links would clear under the boiler. The photos of the model were taken at an angle that make it look like a much bigger height difference, but it is raised less than half the thickness of the shaft. Its possible that I have it a little too high, given that I am interpolating a lot of the measurements from their photos. I'll find out for sure when I see it in person next month, going to be taking LOTS of photos, measurements, drawings while I am there. Naturally it would have been nice to go there before starting, but that was too late in the season for me last fall.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1243 on: April 21, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »
This morning started in on the center section of the steam chests. I went around the inside of the portion to be removed, and chain drilled a series of holes to remove the bulk of the material, leaving just the webs between the holes.

Then switched to a small end mill and plunge cut through each web till the center chunk could be removed.

After that it was just a matter of a few passes to take the opening out to size and smooth up the walls.

Next up was to drill the mounting holes, using the same pattern as used on the steam chest itself. These are all 2-56 clearance.

The last steps on the chests was to mill out the recesses in the sides to match the pattern in the original casting, which went thinner between the holes to reduce the amount of metal. First did the ends,

and then the sides. Due to the bosses sticking out, I used the other chest and one of the covers as spacers.

Then, a quick trip to the belt sander to round the outer corners, and the chests are done.

A quick test fit to see if I got the holes right - had to remove some burs and it all went into place.

Still need to make the studs to replace these screws, and a pile of small nuts to hold it all down. Same for the end caps on the cylinders.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:44:31 PM by crueby »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1244 on: April 21, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
Doesn't it make you feel great, when after milling all of those mating parts in individual set-ups, the bolts all go in!! Got to be one of those "great moments in machining" feelings.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal