Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428238 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #975 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:53 PM »
Chris, I am enjoying your thread more than any other on all of the forums I attend. You are getting very handy with your 3D modelling skills.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #976 on: March 20, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
Thanks Brian!  I know I am just scratching the surface of what the package is capable of, but I just need it for the modelling and plans output. It has made this model possible though, I'd still be working out the tracks without it.

Today I got more on the engine done, got the crosshead and connecting rod designed up:

Had to simplify the shape of the crosshead just a little, given the scaling down in size that is not unexpected. The general appearance is still matching.
I've been wanting to try a full wedged con rod assembly in a model, looks like this is my chance, they used a wedged strap at both ends of the con rod.
Still need to put in the valve rod/slider and the steam passages, and I can copy the cylinder/etc over to the other side of the model and generate the plans. Going to be a bunch of sheets for this one...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:33:19 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #977 on: March 21, 2017, 12:36:40 AM »
Over on Gail's thread we were discussing gear cutting, and Dan mentioned the book Gear Cutting Simplified from Industrial Press. Just got my copy, terrific reference book, makes a great addition to the Ivan Law book. It lays out ghe terms and formulas much better than Law does, where Law gives more background info.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #978 on: March 21, 2017, 02:00:26 AM »
Over on Gail's thread we were discussing gear cutting, and Dan mentioned the book Gear Cutting Simplified from Industrial Press. Just got my copy, terrific reference book, makes a great addition to the Ivan Law book. It lays out ghe terms and formulas much better than Law does, where Law gives more background info.

Couldn't find a book called "Gear Cutting Simplified"  :atcomputer: so went over to Gail's thread and it looks like it's called "Gear Design Simplified". Sounds like a good book. I've got Ivan Law's book..........just need to spend more time with it. What I actually need is a copy of "Gear Cutting for Dummies"!  :Lol: Of course there's no substitute for coming up with a need and then just dive in and do it.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #979 on: March 21, 2017, 02:18:40 AM »

Couldn't find a book called "Gear Cutting Simplified"  :atcomputer: so went over to Gail's thread and it looks like it's called "Gear Design Simplified". Sounds like a good book. I've got Ivan Law's book..........just need to spend more time with it. What I actually need is a copy of "Gear Cutting for Dummies"!  :Lol: Of course there's no substitute for coming up with a need and then just dive in and do it.

Jim
Whoops! You are right, it is Gear DESIGN Simplified.

Sorry about that, acute case of Brainus Fartus!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #980 on: March 21, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »
Finally got the last of the engine parts modelled up in 3D:

and same pic in pez-dispenser colors to see all the different  parts easier

Now that I know everything will fit together and clear each other, I can make up the 2D blueprints from that model and start in on the crankshaft assembly. Back to the shop!
  :cartwheel:

Well, tomorrow, anyway. I have other stuff going on the rest of today.  :ShakeHead:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:33:34 PM by crueby »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #981 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
Chris--I get a lot of ribbing about the "living color" I use with my models. I do it because it makes the individual components so much easier to see.--Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #982 on: March 21, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Chris--I get a lot of ribbing about the "living color" I use with my models. I do it because it makes the individual components so much easier to see.--Brian
It does help, in one color things things are just blobs.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #983 on: March 21, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
Chris-

An ironic  thread about machining the bevel gears for a Lombard restoration over at PM:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machining-bevel-gears-332469/?s=982f369009d6d1f6aa251517a2b5c5fd

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #984 on: March 21, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
Chris-

An ironic  thread about machining the bevel gears for a Lombard restoration over at PM:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machining-bevel-gears-332469/?s=982f369009d6d1f6aa251517a2b5c5fd

-Bob
Sounds like as much confusion on making model ones as full size ones! They got all wrapped around the pole confusing straight form and gleason form teeth.
 :cheers:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #985 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

Hi, may i ask why the furthest away parts look bigger than the nearest parts ?? is it the colour?? intriguing

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #986 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »

Hi, may i ask why the furthest away parts look bigger than the nearest parts ?? is it the colour?? intriguing
It is interesting how color effects perceptions, the farther cylinder is lighter, so has less shadow effect to your eye. Also it has the mounting flange showing, also light, which makes it look larger. I used to work with a lot of image scientist types, who would be able to talk for hours on perception effects and optical dillusions.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #987 on: March 22, 2017, 01:57:03 AM »

It is interesting how color effects perceptions, the farther cylinder is lighter, so has less shadow effect to your eye. Also it has the mounting flange showing, also light, which makes it look larger. I used to work with a lot of image scientist types, who would be able to talk for hours on perception effects and optical dillusions.

I thought that same thing until I started using the grid lines for reference...............interesting!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #988 on: March 22, 2017, 03:57:26 AM »
The CAD drawing does not have any perspective to it. That messes with the mind unless you are used to that view.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #989 on: March 22, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
It's called an isometric projection.  Three axes at 120 degrees.  All measurements show as true length parallel to one of the axes.  Easy to handle on the drawing board for a scale representation in 3-D.

Parallel lines stay parallel rather than converging at a horizon, but an always be measured.  Not like a perspective drawing.  Distant parts appear to be over size as we normally see with a perspective view where parallel lines converge at the horizon.  As Pete says, it tends to look a little strange until you are used to it, but it is useful when it is desirable to show at scale rather than just an artistic presentation.  Obviously both have their places.

I always enjoy looking in on the inspiring work on this model, thank you Chris for your trouble in writing it up so well for us all to follow and enjoy.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal