Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428742 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »
My first real boat (a wonderful 12' Whitehall row/sailboat, built by Shew and Burnham in Maine), was named 'Dumb Luck'.

Wow, I could tell you have good taste. Dick Shew and Cecil Burnham are two of my best friends. I've known them since about 1978. I helped build their boat shop, and on more recent boats I make the brass tags with the Coast Guard required data. Sadly, they are getting pretty old now, Dick still works in the shop, but mostly in the vein of puttering. Cecil still builds a few skiffs each year for the local fishermen, and repairs some of the  whitehalls.

You should see their tug boat- about 26 feet of the finest kind. It has a feathering prop, behind a GM 6-71 diesel, turned by a coupling I made. Two pieces of durabar cast iron 6" diameter, weighed 36 pounds to start, yielded an 18 pound part.

That photo of the differential on the main rails is just outstanding. Amazing work.
Wow! Small world! That Whitehall was a whole lot of fun, wound up selling it years later when I started building full size boats myself. Last I knew it was at a cottage down on Seneca lake, kept indoors in a boathouse. Beautiful boat!
Say hello to them from a past, very satisfied customer!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »
I hate to sound like a broken record...I love this thing.  Great job Chris.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »
I hate to sound like a broken record...I love this thing.  Great job Chris.

-Bob
Thanks Bob!

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #963 on: March 16, 2017, 12:32:34 AM »
Amazing progress Chris, everything looks great!

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #964 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »
Thanks Dave!

Not much to report today, been alternating time between work on the RC boats and getting the drive chains finished off. Got both of them fit for length, and the first one is moving fine. The second one kept sticking at one point around the small sprocket, tracked it down to a pair of link bars that were a little too short between the holes, either the drill slipped on that set or I miscounted turns on the mill table (more likely). So just need to file off the pin heads on those and replace them with proper ones....

One other fun arrival: one of the excellent folks I have been corresponding with up in Maine about the hauler sent me a big file with a copy of the plans for a 20hp Stanley Steamer automobile engine. Would make a wonderful scaled down model, may be a future project in it! Rather than fondling castings like Jo, I tend to collect plans and try not to drool on them too much...

Offline kvom

« Reply #965 on: March 17, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »
The HP of the Stanley Steamer engine was limited in practice by the pressure and volume of steam available from a car's boiler.  From http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/SteamEngine/SteamEngine.htm

In reality Stanley steam engines had the capability to produce a lot more horsepower than the horsepower rating of the boiler.  A 20-horsepower engine could develop approximately 125 horsepower.  The problem arises with the engine developing 125 horsepower the boiler is required to generate a large volume of 550 PSIG steam pressure continuously.  Unfortunately the boiler isn't capable of generating this volume of steam and thus the horsepower of the engine drops off as the steam pressure from the boiler drops.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #966 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »
Rather than fondling castings like Jo, I tend to collect plans and try not to drool on them too much...

fondling vs collecting  :thinking:

Keep in mind she does both. I'm betting you do as well. Collect the plans and fondle pore over them.

I do the same.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #967 on: March 17, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
Rather than fondling castings like Jo, I tend to collect plans and try not to drool on them too much...

fondling vs collecting  :thinking:

Keep in mind she does both. I'm betting you do as well. Collect the plans and fondle pore over them.

I do the same.
Its very different. Plsns are lighter weight!   :Lol:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #968 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:10 AM »
I am still following along Chris, just haven't commented in a few days. The differential and its mount look wonderful. You are outdoing yourself and that ain't easy to do :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #969 on: March 18, 2017, 12:49:56 AM »
I am still following along Chris, just haven't commented in a few days. The differential and its mount look wonderful. You are outdoing yourself and that ain't easy to do :)

Bill

Thanks Bill!

I've been alternating time with the boats and the drive chains, got the second one adjusted to length with the replaced (correct length) few links that were causing a problem, gave it all a spin, and found a few links on the first side that were meshing right but they have some sticky spots, so am having to do some filing fettling and fussing with them now. Not that surprising with a one-off small chain, but it gets old quick and I wander off to do something else! Probably another session should do it, and will get started on the crankshaft assembly soon....

And one of you guys needs to build one of the gas-powered versions of the Lombard (the gas version took over from steam sometime in the 20's I think), with one of your Tiny IC engines!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #970 on: March 18, 2017, 01:05:20 AM »
Yeah but imagine how TINY all those chain links would be and the differential would look more like a watch I bet.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #971 on: March 18, 2017, 01:16:45 AM »
Yeah but imagine how TINY all those chain links would be and the differential would look more like a watch I bet.

Bill
Well, yeah. Thats why I suggested that someone else build it!!   :lolb:

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #972 on: March 19, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »
Not really- the gas Lombard is as big as the steamer. There is a fully restored one in the Maine State Museum, right next door to the state capitol. And that is just past the 1849 LION locomotive- one that I think desperately needs to be modeled. I started it, but in G scale it became watchmakers work and I quit. My start is at http://pleasantcovemodels.com/lion.htm

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #973 on: March 19, 2017, 04:39:18 PM »
Not really- the gas Lombard is as big as the steamer. There is a fully restored one in the Maine State Museum, right next door to the state capitol. And that is just past the 1849 LION locomotive- one that I think desperately needs to be modeled. I started it, but in G scale it became watchmakers work and I quit. My start is at http://pleasantcovemodels.com/lion.htm
I was not aware of that museum, will be going past there on the trip this spring, will stop in, Thanks!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #974 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »
And I know, I keep saying I am about to start on the crankshaft, but I decided it would be best to finish up the 3D model of the engine as a whole before starting on its parts, in case I need to move anything for alignment of all the shafts and levers. So, today I spent some time getting the cylinder assembly modelled up, got the one on the left side nearly done, just need to put in the valve slider/rods, and make up the connecting rod parts. Then it will be copied/mirrored to the right side engine bed. Here is a rendering of where it is at right now:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:33:14 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal