Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428461 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #930 on: March 10, 2017, 01:50:30 AM »
Oh, four things, a steam train layout in the basement for them to play with!

Time for pics dude.
No. Not pics. It's movie time!!!

How many other secrets do you have? No. Don't answer that. Could lead to a TV special.

I'm still under a nondisclosure agreement from my days in Santa's workshop, can't say anything more....

In which case..you've violated it already.  ;D
Sigh.

Now I have to call in the ninja reindeer assassin squad on you...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #931 on: March 10, 2017, 01:57:57 AM »

Time for pics dude.

How many other secrets do you have? No. Don't answer that. Could lead to a TV special.

I'm still under a nondisclosure agreement from my days in Santa's workshop, can't say anything more....

Sigh.

Now for that...I have repellent.
Wait...lemme check the expiration date...

Yep. Still good.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #932 on: March 10, 2017, 02:00:24 AM »

Time for pics dude.

Sigh.

Now for that...I have repellent.
Wait...lemme check the expiration date...

Yep. Still good.
Pump action Ithaca? Very long shelf life...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #933 on: March 10, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
Oh, and I'll try and dig up some pics of the shops soon...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #934 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »
The differential mounting plate is still in the works, nothing done on it today (yet) since I've been playing on the computer updating the plan to match the plate (decided on some changes as I was building it), and designing up the crankshaft assembly which will sit on top of it.
Here is a rendering of it:

The bearing blocks for the crankshaft are different than any I've done before, they had the seam between the upper and lower blocks at a 45 degree angle, which makes sense for how the stresses are from the con rods. The center of the shaft where it goes through the drive gear is thicker than at the ends, and there are two sets of eccentrics inboard of the bearing blocks, one for each cylinder. The crank pins are mounted in discs at the outside, so those will be simple to make. There are a couple of balancing slots in the discs that I have not drawn in yet.

So, later on back into the shop to finish up the mounting plate, and start on the differential bearing blocks... Pics to follow later today or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:30:31 PM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #935 on: March 10, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »
Okay, time to get caught up after all the fun with the wind storm and power outages. Still about 80000 homes without power near here, they got one neighborhood back up, but the wires off the new poles were too low and a truck took out the wires and the poles again. Oh @#$@#$!
  :zap:

Anyway, here is what I got done, half under generator power:

I did not have any 1/8" stock wide enough, so the mounting plate was made in two pieces, held together by the framework that simulates the stiffening ridge in the casting on the original. First step was to lay out the part on some 1/8"x2" bar stock, along with the start of the frame out of some smaller stock:

Rough cut out the stock,

and milled out the shape of the frame pieces that will straddle the joint, first the center section:

and then the ends

leaving it ready to clamp together for drilling the holes:

With it clamped together, and clamped to a spacer block to protect the mill table, drilled the holes for bolts to hold it together for silver soldering:

Also made up the extensions to finish the framework, bolted it all up with some round head screws (these are just for soldering, the heads and extra shanks will be milled off). After silver soldering the framework to the plates, and cleaning up the flux residue, I clamped it down to the mill again and milled the edges of the plates clean and to size.

Then re-laid out the openings to get ready for cutting them:

and started drilling holes at the corners of all the openings. These holes will form the arcs at the corners of the openings.

Then back with the end mill and started cutting out the openings, starting with the horizontal long ones,

and continuing on with the shorter ones on the big opening,

before angling the plate to do the angled ends on the small openings

and then milling off the screw heads and the shanks sticking out the other side

After a little cleanup of burs with the sander and a file, the plate is ready for bearing blocks:

Will continue with the bearing blocks next time...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:30:40 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #936 on: March 10, 2017, 11:19:39 PM »
You made quick work of that Chris. Amazing what you can get done when you and Zee aren't talking cookies, gnomes and ninja assassins  :lolb:  Sounds like you got your power back though, that is a good thing.

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #937 on: March 10, 2017, 11:37:32 PM »
Exactly what Bill said.

Chris, you must be turbo powered.  Man you work fast!

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #938 on: March 11, 2017, 12:32:43 AM »
Amazing what you can get done when you and Zee aren't talking cookies, gnomes and ninja assassins

Pffft. He's got a shop. With helpers.
I just have an empty room.
A great big nothing.
And not that big.

Until that room becomes a shop...I can only distract.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #939 on: March 11, 2017, 12:35:20 AM »
It was not that fast, was done over the last several days. That is another nice thing about small machines like the Sherlines, they don't draw much so I could run the shop with the generator without overloading it, along with furnace, fridge, lights.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #940 on: March 11, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »
Amazing what you can get done when you and Zee aren't talking cookies, gnomes and ninja assassins

Pffft. He's got a shop. With helpers.
I just have an empty room.
A great big nothing.
And not that big.

Until that room becomes a shop...I can only distract.
Pffftttt! Not one shop. Four shops!  Pffftttt!   8)

And cookies. Though the stash in the freezer is down to the last bag, will have to do another mass batch soon.  :stir:

Look at it this way: the empty room is just a temporarily less productive shop!

:cheers:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:00:52 AM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #941 on: March 11, 2017, 03:43:30 AM »
This is coming out nice Chris. As I watched the differential building process, I've been trying to figure out how you were going to drive it. Really simple when I saw it drawn up!  :Doh:

I've learned a lot watching this build. Now if I can just remember it.  :wallbang:

Lately you all are getting hammered back there, weather wise. Beautiful here today.......got up flying. Rain back tomorrow.  :(

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #942 on: March 11, 2017, 05:56:34 AM »
Lately you all are getting hammered back there, weather wise. Beautiful here today.......got up flying. Rain back tomorrow.  :(
What?  Back to rain again tomorrow?  They give us ONE day where its not pouring and then back to rain again...  I'll be ready for a bit of dry soon.  I don't even require sun.  Just not pouring rain would be fun :)

Chris, love watching your fabrication work.  That is really neat looking, and I am going to have to do something like this someday.  Maybe without tracks.  Or who knows, maybe with! (if you sign the copy of your book for me, then I'll definitely build one with tracks :)).
KIM

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #943 on: March 11, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »
This is coming out nice Chris. As I watched the differential building process, I've been trying to figure out how you were going to drive it. Really simple when I saw it drawn up!  :Doh:

I've learned a lot watching this build. Now if I can just remember it.  :wallbang:

Jim
Thanks Jim, am very happy with how the diff is coming out. None of the mechanism is my design, I'm following the original as closely as I can

We got lucky with the weather just after the wind hit, it was above freezing for a couple of days, now the next few are around 10 F, nasty for those still waiting for power. They are claiming that most will be back by Sunday night. Generators have been selling by the truckload.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #944 on: March 11, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
What?  Back to rain again tomorrow?  They give us ONE day where its not pouring and then back to rain again...  I'll be ready for a bit of dry soon.  I don't even require sun.  Just not pouring rain would be fun :)

Chris, love watching your fabrication work.  That is really neat looking, and I am going to have to do something like this someday.  Maybe without tracks.  Or who knows, maybe with! (if you sign the copy of your book for me, then I'll definitely build one with tracks :) ).
KIM
Deal!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal