Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428293 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #765 on: February 16, 2017, 02:56:44 AM »
this is looking really good, and great to see a prototype being made, can't wait to see it running  .......and hear it as well !!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #766 on: February 16, 2017, 03:28:01 AM »
this is looking really good, and great to see a prototype being made, can't wait to see it running  .......and hear it as well !!
Thanks Willy! I am going to be going up to the museum in Maine in May to see one of the real ones run, and will be taking the model up too. It may not be running by then, but should be by the next trip at the end of July, hope to have some video of them running together!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #767 on: February 16, 2017, 04:30:23 AM »
Wow.........now we can start to see just how big this model is going to be! Impressive!  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #768 on: February 16, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
Chris

Still following, and still enjoying :ThumbsUp:

Nice thing here is that we don't have to wait very long for another update  :NotWorthy:
the speed of progress is amazing!

Joe

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #769 on: February 16, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
Will you be making the front wheel sets as well as an accessory, for when the snow melts ?? The axles for the skids are quite low so did it have a compleat bolt on steering mechanism ??
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:43:33 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #770 on: February 16, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
Will you be making the front wheel sets as well as an accessory, for when the snow melts ?? The axles for the skids are quite low so did it have a compleat bolt on steering mechanism ??

Yes - the wheels are the next parts up probably. For running around here on the driveway and such they will be used most often, then put the skids back on for display. The wheels are fairly small as you say, so that they clear the frame and quadrant arm. On the real thing they were just used for non-snow transport, so it didn't matter how large they were. I am planning on making them out of brass round bar, drilling/milling out the spokes. The wheels look a lot like a small flywheel. They are at the left in this rendering of the 3D parts:

One other thing I need to change first though - just got an email back from one of the kind folks in Maine with a better photo of the skids in use on snow. I made the crossbars as a solid piece, it turns out that they are articulated to let the skids move more independantly. There is an eyebolt at either skid tip, and the crossbar has eyes at either end to connect to them. It makes sense to let them rock independantly, now that I see them in action. So, I will swap out the solid bars for the correct ones next.

Oh yeah, and I need to add the safety chains from the frame to the axle too!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:29:23 AM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #771 on: February 16, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »
I know what, Chris. Instead of wheels..........why don't you make a complete track system for the front end..........shouldn't take too long to knock out the few hundred parts needed!  :lolb:

It's really nice to have the folks up in Maine supplying you with pictures as you go along. Are they following your build thread and someone spotted the tie rods?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #772 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »
I know what, Chris. Instead of wheels..........why don't you make a complete track system for the front end..........shouldn't take too long to knock out the few hundred parts needed!  :lolb:

It's really nice to have the folks up in Maine supplying you with pictures as you go along. Are they following your build thread and someone spotted the tie rods?

Jim
More tracks for the front?   :slap:   and here I thought I liked you!

If I can arrange to get access to the Marion steam shovel near here then I may do a model of it, it has three sets of tracks I think...

I have been sending pics up to a couple of people at the museum and university at major milestones, one of them sent me the skid detail pics. Definitely looking forward to meeting everyone up there this spring.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #773 on: February 16, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »

Jim

If I can arrange to get access to the Marion steam shovel near here then I may do a model of it, it has three sets of tracks I think...

I have been sending pics up to a couple of people at the museum and university at major milestones, one of them sent me the skid detail pics. Definitely looking forward to meeting everyone up there this spring.

I'm betting that once the Marion Steam Shovel folks see the model and documentation of your Lombard, they'll be more than pleased to accommodate you.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #774 on: February 16, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »

Jim

I'm betting that once the Marion Steam Shovel folks see the model and documentation of your Lombard, they'll be more than pleased to accommodate you.
I hope so! The little rectangle of land it sits on now is owned by the town and designated a landmark, so hopefully the historic society there is not too 'governmentish'. I figure that if I show some pictures of the Shay and Lombard, along with the 3D model, that I could get access inside if I would give them full copies of all photos, measurements, and 3D model/plans to help them document the machine - then it could be a win-win for all concerned. Definitely worth the attempt, might get them stirred up to do some restoration work on it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #775 on: February 16, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »
Okay, after hearing back from the museum of the correct linkage on the skid tips, I went back and made the ones at the read tips just a through bolt, and the ones at the front an articulated set of eye bolts. I went back through the vintage pictures, and found a few that show this same setup. Amazing what you can spot if you know what to look for!
Here are the new links in action:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:30:13 AM by crueby »

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #776 on: February 16, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »
Outstanding.

--Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #777 on: February 16, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
Outstanding.

--Tim
Thanks Tim!

Update: I was just in getting started on the front wheels, turned down the blanks, and started drilling for the spokes, partway through realized that I forgot to add the half-width of the drill bit to the side offset of the table.    :wallbang: So, back to remake one blank, and hope I'm not a half-width again...!   :facepalm2:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #778 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
I was just sent this link, to a set of three audio recordings of a steersman from a Lombard. Fascinating stuff! The links to the other two are across the top of the page.

http://resources.presqueisle.lib.me.us/omeka/exhibits/show/ashland/o-daggett/lombard-log-hauler-pt1

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #779 on: February 16, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »
Still following and enjoying  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: the picture of the of full size one underway is excellent  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal