Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428291 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #660 on: February 04, 2017, 03:47:30 AM »
That is really interesting to see those sprockets being milled, Chris. I've read about it, but I think I'm going to have to mill one myself sometime in order to really understand the process.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #661 on: February 04, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »
That is really interesting to see those sprockets being milled, Chris. I've read about it, but I think I'm going to have to mill one myself sometime in order to really understand the process.

Jim

So when do you start your Lombard model?   :stickpoke:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #662 on: February 04, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

Jim

Well, so far, I've noticed that in the time I build a single part............you make a whole drive chain!  :shrug: I may need to clone your elves...........or go CNC!  ;)

Here's one of your projects I'd like to build sometime: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=22713 I love the action and sound it has.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #663 on: February 04, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
So very cool Chris!  Continuing to follow along with your elf-assisted build  ;) :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #664 on: February 04, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »

Jim

Well, so far, I've noticed that in the time I build a single part............you make a whole drive chain!  :shrug: I may need to clone your elves...........or go CNC!  ;)

Here's one of your projects I'd like to build sometime: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=22713 I love the action and sound it has.

Jim
Just imagine how much my elves would accomplish with cnc!

That twin beam engine was a lot of fun to build, I think it is the slowest runner I have done, runs so slow that the flywheel is not needed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #665 on: February 04, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
So very cool Chris!  Continuing to follow along with your elf-assisted build  ;) :popcorn:
Kim

Don't compliment them too much, or their little hats won't fit anymore!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #666 on: February 04, 2017, 10:27:03 PM »
On to cutting the spokes for the drive sprockets. Mounted the sprocket on the rotary table, and drilled 1/4" holes around the hub:

Then moved the table over, and rotated 30 degrees to get to the end of the spoke on one side, and drilled 1/8" holes there

followed by corresponding holes on the other side of the spokes (if you squint real hard you can see where the spokes will be...)

and then switched to a 1/8" end mill, and cut the arcs between the spokes using a series of shallow cuts while turning the rotary table

Then back to cut the first sides of the spoke by moving the table left/right

followed by cutting the opposite sides of the spokes

Here is the first sprocket, ready for some cleanup filing on the edges of the openings:

One more sprocket to cut, then final stage will be to drill/tap the screw holes for holding them to the axle shaft....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:24:32 AM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #667 on: February 05, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
Almost done on the drive sprockets - got the holes for the mount screws drilled/tapped in the hubs,

then smoothed off the burs from milling the spokes with a rotary tool, and then it was time to trim back the hubs on the large sprockets. In order to allow gripping the sprockets in the lathe from either side, I had left the hub long where it came through the sprocket. As you can see, one side is a smaller diamter - that left the shoulder for the hub to res against while silver soldering it up.

So after hacksawing off the bulk of the narrow side, the hub was faced back on the lathe, leaving just a slight boss sticking up.

And the finished parts, ready for paint:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:24:38 AM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #668 on: February 05, 2017, 05:36:25 PM »
Well there has to be Elfs in that shop somewhere the way you been spitting out parts!  :lolb: Still looking good and damn good work Dog..... :praise2:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #669 on: February 05, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
Well there has to be Elfs in that shop somewhere the way you been spitting out parts!  :lolb: Still looking good and damn good work Dog..... :praise2:

Thanks Don!

I heard the shop elves talking about coming down to visit you this spring, and take some gator wrestling lessons. They are pretty small, so maybe crawfish wrestling would be better...!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #670 on: February 05, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
so maybe crawfish wrestling would be better...!

crawdads in my old neck of the woods. good fishing bait.
crayfish in some other places

crawfish in New York? What are they in Louisiana?

And what do they have to do with engines?  :thinking:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #671 on: February 05, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
so maybe crawfish wrestling would be better...!

crawdads in my old neck of the woods. good fishing bait.
crayfish in some other places

crawfish in New York? What are they in Louisiana?

And what do they have to do with engines?  :thinking:
Potato, patahto, patotoe, whatever!  The people next door when I grew up parked their car in the 'gararge'. Accents/names can be a funny thing. We had an exchange student from Mexico City back in high school, spoke perfect English. There was one teacher from West Virginia, with a slight (we thought, anyway) southern accent. The teacher and the exchange student had a very hard time understanding each other, the rest of us had to translate since we thought they both spoke English just fine!
Though I would guess our neighbors across the pond(s) would say we speak American well, but English terribly!!

Oh, and something about engines, um, lets see, I started milling down the engine bed blocks, pictures on that tomorrow...

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #672 on: February 05, 2017, 11:02:21 PM »
i.e., soda, pop, or Coke, just depends on the zip code   :Doh:. I remember at CF three years ago, Steamer didn't understand a thing I ordered for dinner, seemed to eat it fine though  :lolb:. Oh yeah, build, er, looking great  :cheers: (seriously)

Cletus

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #673 on: February 06, 2017, 02:24:29 AM »
Great work Chris. All these little details you add to it really make it "Pop". No wonder the shop elves are working so hard on this, it's not like you'll be able to drive it...
  :naughty:
 Hi Ho...Hi Ho...

JOhN

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #674 on: February 06, 2017, 02:35:46 AM »
Great work Chris. All these little details you add to it really make it "Pop". No wonder the shop elves are working so hard on this, it's not like you'll be able to drive it...
  :naughty:
 Hi Ho...Hi Ho...

JOhN

That's a good point, the little .... um, ... machinists... will drive it away on me! Better build in a lock!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal