Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428188 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2017, 02:38:37 AM »
We didn't have a vehicle with power steering until about 1964. And a lot of folks didn't, so "Armstrong Steering" was a well understood thing....

Pete
In 1964 my vehicle would have been a Tonka or Fisher Price, so a FingerStrong model!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #616 on: January 27, 2017, 02:39:25 AM »
Chris-

I have been silently following along.  This is such a cool project and the build is going at such a blistering pace.  It's the Shay all over again.  Much respect.

-Bob
Thanks much Bob! Glad to have you along on the trip!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #617 on: January 27, 2017, 03:39:43 AM »
We didn't have a vehicle with power steering until about 1964. And a lot of folks didn't, so "Armstrong Steering" was a well understood thing....

Pete

I remember my first car..........a 55 chev................ had a huge steering wheel. Wish I still had it..............the car............and the steering wheel!  :)

Oh yeah............the build is looking great Chris!  :Lol:

Jim

PS: Did you build that multi-drawered chest in the background of your pictures? I really like it.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #618 on: January 27, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »

Pete

I remember my first car..........a 55 chev................ had a huge steering wheel. Wish I still had it..............the car............and the steering wheel!  :)

Oh yeah............the build is looking great Chris!  :Lol:

Jim

PS: Did you build that multi-drawered chest in the background of your pictures? I really like it.
Yup, built that as a set of storage drawers at the bottom and a display wall unit on top a few years ago. It is made of Sepele, a great African wood simaler to mahogany in appearance, but denser and available in very large and wide boards, very stable with little tendency to warp.
For you die-hard gear heads, that is a material known as 'wood', a naturally occurring type of metal from 'trees'.   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #619 on: January 27, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
This morning I got the rest of the steering gear components modeled up in 3D, the drawbar bracket/hinge, and the skids...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:21:47 AM by crueby »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #620 on: January 27, 2017, 03:53:35 PM »
Jeez, Chris--You're a man of many talents. That is some nice 3D cad work, as well as the outstanding build.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #621 on: January 27, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
Jeez, Chris--You're a man of many talents. That is some nice 3D cad work, as well as the outstanding build.---Brian

Thanks Brian! All the sculpting work helps visualize parts, plus some past work (long time ago) in Lightwave doing 3d animation work has helped too. I've been doing a lot of analysis of photos from the logging museum to get part shapes/size to fill in the gaps on what they published measurement of. I am really liking the Fusion360 3D package, has a lot of power but it lets me focus on the features I need for this project (and the limited subset of it that I know so far).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #622 on: January 27, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
And this afternoon I got back to the drive chains, after the nice break working on the main frame. The brain is as recharged as it gets, so back into chain production mode. These chains are the same style as the track roller chains, but the links are longer and wider, and the center rollers are narrower - they are a normally driven chain from the sprockets on the output shafts of the differential to the drive sprockets on the tracks.

First up was to drill and part off a big pile of the center rollers, that went pretty quick: drill about 1/2" in, part off 3 rollers, repeat.

Then adjusted the stop fence on the little chop saw to the new length, and bent/cut a small set of links

to test the larger drill jig with:

All is looking good, sizes match the plans, so its back into producing mass quantities of link bars. I will need two chains, each about 14" in circumference. After the links are made, I'll start cutting the cross pins and rivetting everything together.
If you are just tuning in, if you look back a couple weeks on the posts you will see the bending, drilling, and rivetting jigs that I made for the track chains - these are using those same setups.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:21:56 AM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #623 on: January 27, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
Uh..............Chris...............is there any parts on this project that you get to make just one of?  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #624 on: January 27, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
Uh..............Chris...............is there any parts on this project that you get to make just one of?  :lolb:

Jim

Ummmm... So far only one axle rod and one front bolster. I think that's it so far!

Total parts count so far is over 1400 pieces.

Just got done bending and cutting 45 pairs of drive chain links. That's about half of them. Sounds like a lot, but that took about half an hour.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #625 on: January 28, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
 :o

Guess who.

Hiya Chris. Sorry I haven't been around to give a  :stickpoke:.

Fantastic build log and model. Had a quick scan. Love the ship too!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #626 on: January 28, 2017, 07:23:47 PM »
:o

Guess who.

Hiya Chris. Sorry I haven't been around to give a  :stickpoke: .

Fantastic build log and model. Had a quick scan. Love the ship too!

He's Back!! Hide the cookies!

Glad to have you back around again!   :cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #627 on: January 28, 2017, 11:27:57 PM »

Hee hee hee. Well we'll see.  ;D

I am the thorn.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #628 on: January 28, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »

Hee hee hee. Well we'll see.  ;D

I am the thorn.

Paw hurt. You pull thorn! Sniff!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #629 on: January 29, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »
The package with another batch of the 2-56 screws arrived (had run out of the short ones), so I got the rest of the screws installed in the boiler and cab brackets on the main frame:

Continuing work on the drive chains, I got the rest of the side links bent and cut:

and started drilling the holes for the cross pins, using a simaler drilling jig as on the track chains, that positions 3 links at a time. After one 45 minute session, got to this point:

Looks like four or five more sessions and they will all be drilled, ready to make the cross pins...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:22:23 AM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal