Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428489 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #420 on: December 16, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
You're really  moving along here... but the ride is very smooth!   Nice!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #421 on: December 16, 2016, 04:54:32 PM »
You're really  moving along here... but the ride is very smooth!   Nice!

Pete
I bet the ride on the hauler gets a bit bumpier!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #422 on: December 16, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
This morning I got he bolt holes in the axle clamps drilled

then rounded off the steps and the ends on the sander, and marked them with number stamps before cutting them apart.

Here are some pictures of how the clamps fit on the ends of the axles, holding the suspension parts from sliding back and forth.

I need to mix up a fresh batch of 2-56 and 4-40 nuts, give these parts a quick coat of paint, and they can be assembled onto the tracks! Next parts up will be the brackets and spring assemblies that connect the axle to the main frame...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:27 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #423 on: December 16, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
While looking at the parts after making up a batch of 4-40 nuts for the bearing blocks, I realized that things were not lining up properly. I went back to the photos of the real hauler, and realized that I had not left room for the drive chain from the differential back to the rear sprocket axle. There needed to be more room between the track and the main frame for the drive chain and sprockets.

So, quick tweak to the 3D model

to lengthen the spacer bushing between the square axle block and the track frame, which gives this gap between the main frame and the track:

Rather than completely remake the original block, I drilled a length of 1/2" bar and made an extra spacer:

That will give the room needed for the drive chain, and narrows up the span of the main frame (which is how I noticed the error, the frame was looking too wide compared to the original).
Fortunately, a simple fix!

Back to making up a batch of 2-56 nuts for the axle clamps...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:32 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #424 on: December 16, 2016, 07:51:35 PM »
Yeah,  I saw the weather in Rochester Mr. Benny  :lolb:. Ain't much else to do but eat cookies and make parts  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #425 on: December 16, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
Yeah,  I saw the weather in Rochester Mr. Benny  :lolb: . Ain't much else to do but eat cookies and make parts  :cheers:

Cletus

Wow, showing your age on that one!

Wait, I got it too... Dang!  Um, saw it on the history channel, yeah, thats it!   :old:

Today is actually not too bad, we got another 6 inches of snow last night, fortunately the fluffy stuff so easy to move, but the driving yesterday was awful with wind causing whiteouts. Nice thing about retirement, when the weather gets nasty, I head for the shop rather than the car! Tomorrow is going to warm up, and we may get half an inch of rain before the next snowstorm. Gotta love living near the big lakes!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #426 on: December 16, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »
Got some more 2-56 nuts made up, and the axle clamps in place:

and so it was time to do a test fit of the axle assembly with the tracks - just a couple of the nuts holding the bearing blocks for now, since they need to come off for painting again.

and a shot of everything together:

While they were together, I could not resist a quick video of them rolling on the table, along with testing the pivotting action of the axle bearings, like they would going over bumpy ground
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/ueYZNsYWYl0[/youtube1]
Very happy with that progress, time to go put on a movie and eat some Christmas cookies with the shop elves (they like action movies, like The Terminelver, Marvel's Elves of Shield, that sort of thing)...  :Lol:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:44 PM by crueby »

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #427 on: December 17, 2016, 01:08:25 AM »
Beautiful show.  Looks good, works good.  I can hardy believe how easy it must have been. :NotWorthy:

Enjoy your cookies, I'm having pie.  It is easier to stop with one piece of pie than it is with one cookie.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #428 on: December 17, 2016, 01:15:03 AM »
Yup ... I can just hear all of the appropriate noises now ... even over the crunching of the popcorn :popcorn:

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #429 on: December 17, 2016, 03:23:04 AM »
Looks and works great Chris! Although with the snow you have back there and that being a snow vehicle and all, I would of thought you'd of done the test out in the snow!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #430 on: December 17, 2016, 02:12:19 AM »
Thanks guys!

It will be interesting to see how much smoother it gets once the roller chain is made. That will be started after the last of the suspension parts are done, most likely just after Christmas.

:cheers:

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #431 on: December 17, 2016, 04:54:45 AM »
Hi Chris, nice progress and excellent craftmanship.  Waiting for the roller chains.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #432 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »
In planning out for the rest of the suspension parts, I realized another 'virtual' error in the 3d model - the open side of the 'C' in the main frame rails was pointing out rather than in, which put the axle bracket on the wrong side. Simple fix, just rotated the parts, all the dimensions and parts were correct, just were assembled backwards.
Here are new views of the outside

and inside

and a view without the crossbars to show how the axle bracket looks

and the view of all the parts together:

With that sorted, I am off to take the current axle assembly off the tracks for some paint, and then get started on the axle bracket parts...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:57 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
Dog that is cooler then a crawfish hitting a pot of hot water.......I........like........ :Love:

Don

Offline kvom

« Reply #434 on: December 18, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
I mainly read this thread to learn more of Don's pithy expressions.   ;D   :lolb:

Actually it's a great build even without them.  Still trying to figure out what role the roller chain plays.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal