Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428712 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #405 on: December 13, 2016, 12:53:52 AM »
Look at that ... I go away for a couple of days to work on my tug boat and when I get back I don't recognize the place! I have to agree with Mr Rupnow ... This is the most refreshing build I have seen in a long time. Some of the v12's and v8's are pretty special, but this is going to be just plan fantastic :cheers: Not only the building of it, but every step is detailed and every question answered ... and recipes are included :cartwheel:.

My hat is off to you.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2016, 11:14:27 PM »
Look at that ... I go away for a couple of days to work on my tug boat and when I get back I don't recognize the place! I have to agree with Mr Rupnow ... This is the most refreshing build I have seen in a long time. Some of the v12's and v8's are pretty special, but this is going to be just plan fantastic :cheers: Not only the building of it, but every step is detailed and every question answered ... and recipes are included :cartwheel: .

My hat is off to you.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

and .... tug boat? tug boat?
An RC model or a real one?  Whatcha got?! (can you tell, I like tug boats?)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #407 on: December 13, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »
It is a freelance r/c tug. Some of the features of my favorite tugs, built into a Dumas, Mr Darby hull that I was given. It will weigh around 65lbs when in the water and have a pull of between 15 and 20lbs.

I have fabricated and installed a stern roller so far, and got some of the drive system in.

Your hauler would look great on an 8 or 10 foot long barge, behind the tug, and then drive the hauler off onto a beach. Great fun for "older" kids :cheers:

Tom
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:20:31 PM by wagnmkr »
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
That's going to be a great looking tug!

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #409 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »
After failing to find Mint Essence anywhere locally, we had to order it from the maker back east...

Baked the cookies yesterday and they are just wonderful!! We've never used that essence, rather than extract, before and it makes all the difference in the world.

This elf has a new favorite chocolate chip cookie!! :whoohoo: :cartwheel:

Thanks Chris!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2016, 09:27:09 PM »
After failing to find Mint Essence anywhere locally, we had to order it from the maker back east...

Baked the cookies yesterday and they are just wonderful!! We've never used that essence, rather than extract, before and it makes all the difference in the world.

This elf has a new favorite chocolate chip cookie!! :whoohoo: :cartwheel:

Thanks Chris!

Pete

Excellent!!
I found the baking emulsion works so much better too. The regular extract is fine for frosting and such, but it bakes out. Be interesting to see how many fewer shiny things the gnomes steal after a few cookies...!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #411 on: December 14, 2016, 01:14:30 AM »
I had a good friend of mine in Colorado send me some of those essence emulsions last week. I have had a strong desire for some chocolate chip mint cookies ever since and the shop time just crawls by,  but,  the sunsets sure are pretty,  just saying  :lolb: :mischief: :naughty: :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2016, 12:12:12 AM »
I had a good friend of mine in Colorado send me some of those essence emulsions last week. I have had a strong desire for some chocolate chip mint cookies ever since and the shop time just crawls by,  but,  the sunsets sure are pretty,  just saying  :lolb: :mischief: :naughty: :lolb:

Cletus
Sounds more like he sent you a bottle of mint julep!   :DrinkPint:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #413 on: December 14, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
Next steps on the bearing blocks were to cut them off the longer bar, square up the ends, and bore for the bearing and turn in the boss - done very simaler to the sprocket bearing blocks, except these dont have the step in one end:

Then it was on the the bearings, chucked up some bronze bar and drilled/bored the axle hole to size

and turned the outside down to fit the blocks

The bearings were parted off, and put into the blocks (which have had the ends sanded round on the belt sander) and test fit on the axle:

Now I need to make up some more mounting studs for the top center of the track frames, then I will start on the rest of the suspension parts....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:55:54 PM by crueby »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #414 on: December 14, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »
Still following along :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: (but sometimes struggling to keep up  ::) )
Best regards

Roger

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #415 on: December 14, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
Dog that is turning into some bad ass work. I am awed at your progress....... :praise2:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #416 on: December 15, 2016, 01:26:46 AM »
Well, didn't feel like working on the mounting studs, so I got a little done on the other parts - made up the spacer piece that fits between the pair of bearing blocks on either side, and did a test fit:

and then started prepping the stock for the inner axle blocks, that will ride up and down in the slot in the brackets that hold the axle to the frame. I thought I had some 1/2" square steel bar, but I guess not, have plenty of 3/8" square bar but no 1/2". So, took a slice off a larger block of 1/2" thick bar, and squared it up on the mill:

and cut off some shorter lengths for the axle blocks. Here they have the slots sketched in, and the ends marked where they will be turned round (the area with the slots stays square). I like to sketch in this stuff, helps prevent brain farts later on when setting up in the machine...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:04 PM by crueby »

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #417 on: December 15, 2016, 04:08:05 AM »
Great Project Chris! It's a real joy to follow along.  :popcorn:
Thanks for sharing.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #418 on: December 15, 2016, 02:40:24 AM »
Great Project Chris! It's a real joy to follow along.  :popcorn:
Thanks for sharing.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Thanks! Having a lot of fun building it, at least till I get to the drive and roller chains!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #419 on: December 16, 2016, 01:40:13 AM »
Continuing on with the axle parts - milled the side slots in the square axle blocks first. These will slip into the bracket coming down from the frame, allowing the axle to slide up and down. The slots are a little wider than the brackets are thick, to allow one side to move independantly of the other and tilting the axle.

then chucked the blocks up in the 4-jaw (you can see one of the side slots under the top jaw) to drill

and bore out the 3/8" hole for the axle

and then turned the outer end round. This keeps the end from catching on the track as the track pivots forward and back over any bumps.

Here are the axle parts so far slipped onto the axle.

And a closer look at one end of the axle. In this shot you can see the square axle blocks on the inside, with the round portion acting as a spacer so the tracks clear the frame, then the pairs of bearing blocks with another spacer between them. That last spacer is important so that any side load on the tracks does not tip one of the bearing blocks. All of these parts so far are just a slip fit onto the axle, there will be clamp blocks at either end of each group to hold everything in position.

Here is how it looks in place on the track:

And now on to the clamp blocks I mentioned - started out with some flat bar stock cut to length, then held in the 4-jaw to bore (yet another) hole for the axle.

This hole can be a slip fit at this point, since the block will be cut in two and will clamp back onto the axle with a bolt at either side. Here I am milling out the steps at the corners for the bolts to sit against. The step at the top will be rounded off later.

Once I get the rest of the steps milled in, I will drill for the clamping bolts, round the center steps, cut the two halves apart, and round the ends. Enough for one day, time to go watch some TV and eat Christmas cookies with the shop elves!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:18 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal