Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428328 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
What an excellent job! Chris, this is going to be one magnificent model and the speed that you are going with it, there should be steam by Christmas :lolb:

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »
What an excellent job! Chris, this is going to be one magnificent model and the speed that you are going with it, there should be steam by Christmas :lolb:

Cheers

Tom
Well, this Christmas it will be steam over the hot chocolate, next year it should be pulling the tree out of the woods!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »

Cheers

Tom
Well, this Christmas it will be steam over the hot chocolate, next year it should be pulling the tree out of the woods!

Okay, we will let you off for this Christmas ... I guess there are still a few parts to be made.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »

Cheers

Tom

Okay, we will let you off for this Christmas ... I guess there are still a few parts to be made.

Tom
Its amazing how fast Lombard was able to build a couple prototypes and be in production on the real thing. It will take me a bit longer!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
WOW! Those sprockets look great Chris! Nice work!  :ThumbsUp:

What parts will be next?

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2016, 02:11:19 AM »
WOW! Those sprockets look great Chris! Nice work!  :ThumbsUp:

What parts will be next?

John
When I have the rest of the corners rounded on the spokes (would have been today, but was out doing family stuff all day), I want to make the axles for the sprockets (that will be easy), then will start on the big plates that the track assembly is all held by. In the real thing they were big castings, mine will be built up and silver soldered together from smaller plates. I've been digging through the photos of the real one to figure it all out, and need to model it up in Fusion360. The shapes are pretty straightforward so that should be easy. The plates hold the bearings for the sprocket axles, and include a sliding tensioner adjustment, as well as guides for the roller chain at the bottom inside edge of the tracks. I am planning on building the whole thing from the ground up, so will finish the track assembly (including the roller chain), then the front skis, then on to the drive chains and differential assembly. I'm having a ball with this build so far!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2016, 02:20:09 AM »
Forgot to post the final pics from last evenings session, got the rest of the corners rounded on the first sprocket, few more to go on the others. I am tempted to try running them through the tumbler with the ceramic media to see if the finish comes out like the track plates did, not sure if such large parts will move properly in the bowl, but worth a try.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:46:26 PM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2016, 04:47:03 AM »
Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp:

That last picture looks like some kind of fancy pendulum for a clock.  :Lol: You'd definitely be the first one on your block to have a clock like that!  You can tell that I've been reading up on clocks lately!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #248 on: November 23, 2016, 04:52:43 AM »
Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp:

That last picture looks like some kind of fancy pendulum for a clock.  :Lol: You'd definitely be the first one on your block to have a clock like that!  You can tell that I've been reading up on clocks lately!

Jim
A clock that hauls!

I have called clocks my Gravitic Powered Temporal Engines...

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »
I have done some very large parts(like about twice as big as the sprocket) and they work fine.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2016, 03:25:26 PM »
I have done some very large parts(like about twice as big as the sprocket) and they work fine.
Good to know -  I will give the sprockets a run in the tumbler as soon as I finish the rounding of the spokes. Thanks!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Chris, based on how well the tracks turned out, I think the tumbling of the sprockets will have an equally pleasing result. Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #252 on: November 24, 2016, 03:01:12 AM »
Let me say this about that  (hmmm, where have we heard that before  :lolb:) I thought the tracks had that "earth hardened" look when they came out of the tumbler,  as they would on most tracked equipment and thought "man he nailed that " :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. However,  if it was me,  and it's not,  I think the the sprockets would look good with some "faux patina " , a contrast,  if you will.  But,  that's just my thinking.

Cletus

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2016, 03:27:13 AM »
Jaysus Cletus--Your the only guy on the forum that likes rust!!!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »
Looking back at the pic of the sprockets and tracks together I think I agree with Cletus. Of course you could of made the sprockets out of 12L14...............that would of taken care of the rusty patina look!  :lolb: The "earth patina" will take care of itself on that first trip down the hill with a load of firewood!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal