Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428737 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2016, 01:11:50 PM »
Now you just need some advice from Steamer on proper dirt - trackin technique.

Tom
So I can get the Lombard in a two-track drift on the corners?! New version of sprint cars, 30 haulers on a dirt track...  :Lol:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2016, 01:37:44 PM »

Tom
So I can get the Lombard in a two-track drift on the corners?! New version of sprint cars, 30 haulers on a dirt track...  :Lol:

I'm thinking that might be about as exciting as watching the "snail" races!  :lolb: More noise though!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »

Tom

I'm thinking that might be about as exciting as watching the "snail" races!  :lolb: More noise though!

Jim
And they're coming around the third turn.....
Yup, the third turn..
Here they...yawn...come...
 :ROFL:

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
 :lolb:
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »
Starting to look like tracks now - got the first couple dozen plates drilled,

and just had to link up a handfull to see how they look

Could make a watchband, though a really heavy, non-stretchy one!

Here is a bit more of how they will look

So, on to more drilling....

Though while I was working on the tracks, apparently the shop elves where building their new toy. Hope I don't hear it clanking around all night, or I might have to Delete him...   :Lol:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:20:10 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »
Playing with the tracks, a bit stiff to flex, went back and went up a drill size, much better! Will do the rest with the larger size.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2016, 11:07:35 PM »
This is a great build. I am following along. I have thought different times about making some kind of tracked model, but the sheer volume of work in making the tracks has kept me away from one.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2016, 11:12:49 PM »
This is a great build. I am following along. I have thought different times about making some kind of tracked model, but the sheer volume of work in making the tracks has kept me away from one.---Brian
They seem like a lot of work, but with the right jigs it actually goes right along. I've been doing about 1/2 hour sessions a couple times a day, too long at once and the repetition causes mistakes as my mind wanders off into another room.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 11:59:31 PM »
Milestone reached - all the track plates are drilled for the pivot pins and test fit together:

They flex nice and smooth, and can roll them around using fingers as end sprockets. That is quite enough drilling/deburring/smoothing for now, time for a cookie!
  :whoohoo:
Next up will be milling the shapes in the surfaces of the plates for the rollers on the inside, and the traction ridge on the outside. Then I can figure out how to do the ends on the pivot pins...

Some of the things that the brain works out while doing all this repetitive crank turning: milled nearly 16 linear feet of slots, 7 feet of holes drilled, 28 feet of corners rounded over, 7.5 feet of plate ends squared up... Yikes! 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:48:03 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »
That is quite a nice watch band you got there Chris, A bit heavy perhaps but nice!!  ;)  Looking forward to seeing what is up next.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2016, 12:18:53 AM »
That is quite a nice watch band you got there Chris, A bit heavy perhaps but nice!!  ;)  Looking forward to seeing what is up next.

Bill
Not very stretchy either!   :Lol:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2016, 12:22:54 AM »
How much clearance is there now with the larger sized pin holes? Interested to see how you will retain them in the tracks.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2016, 12:34:53 AM »
How much clearance is there now with the larger sized pin holes? Interested to see how you will retain them in the tracks.

Bill
The holes are a few thou larger than the pins - lets them pivot easy, plus gives the assembly the ability to flex a bit. The pins will be peened over at one end, then a washer held by that. The pin is slid through the track, then another washer, with a cotter pin to hold it on. At least that is pretty much how the real thing is made, I think they welded or forged the disc on the inner end rather than peening it. I will need to make a little clamp bar to peen over the ends to without bending/marring them, and also a drill jig for the cross hole for the cotter. I've seen other builds here that used the drill jig method for centering small holes in round bar, this will be my chance to try doing the same.

Here are a couple pictures of the real thing:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:19:42 PM by crueby »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2016, 12:47:55 AM »
That's really cool Chris!  Its almost like completing a project on its own!  But I can't wait to see the rest unfold.

I'm still in line for those plans!  And the book :)

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2016, 01:04:37 AM »
That's really cool Chris!  Its almost like completing a project on its own!  But I can't wait to see the rest unfold.

I'm still in line for those plans!  And the book :)

Kim
Thanks Kim! Its always a good feeling when a subassembly comes together enough to move. And I am toying with writing up a book of plans/build on this project, since it is such an interesting cross of locomotive, traction engine, and bulldozer. There is a fair amount of information out there, but it is scattered among articles, books, and websites - I was not even aware these existed till a couple of months ago, and was instantly enthralled by them. I was not able to visit the museum in Maine for the last run this year, but am planning to go there in the spring - only a 9 1/2 hour drive from here, but worth it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal