Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428193 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2016, 10:44:48 PM »
And a few more batches done on the track plates, just 21 more in the bin to go.... Glad I made some extra ones, so far have botched 2.
Easy to get distracted and miscount turns when doing an odd pattern over and over. Easy to get distracted and miscount turns when doing an odd pattern over and over. Easy to get distracted and miscount turns when doing an odd pattern over and over....!!   :ROFL:

Take a break Chris, have a drink even...It doesn't pay to get yourself into a rut... :lolb:

The tracks look GREAT though!!!

Bill

Mmmmmm.... Cookie!     :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »
Still on track, clanking along on the plates....

Got the rest of the slots cut this morning:

so it was now time to flip the holding jig up vertical and square the bottom of the slots

This goes pretty quick, not removing much material, just the arc at the bottom of the slot. As you can see, the plates fit closer together now with one side squared off:

which is more evident when looking at one group (top row) with the slots squared off and another before that is done (bottom row)

So, I will crank through the rest of the slots in the next couple shop sessions. The deeper center slot will be done after the rest are done, so I don't have to keep resetting the depth of cut. After all the slots are squared up, it will be time to drill the pivot holes...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:14:40 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2016, 06:29:26 PM »
Damn nice looking tracks there Chris. I would have to say your right on track bud ........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2016, 08:34:56 PM »
Boy,  that's almost one of those optical conclusions.  I kept looking for what you squared off ; it's on one side and not the other  :thinking:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2016, 01:48:03 AM »
Boy,  that's almost one of those optical conclusions.  I kept looking for what you squared off ; it's on one side and not the other  :thinking:

Cletus

That pattern can make your eyeballs spin! No driving for ten minutes after staring at it!   :Lol:

I have half the parts done on the one side of the plates, once the rest are done I'll do the same to the second side of each track, so both sides  of all will be squared off. The longer slot will also be squared off. This step goes quick, with so much metal to remove. The holding jig is working perfectly, totally worth making.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2016, 12:53:15 AM »
Got some time this evening, now that we are past Halloween and I can put away my shop elf costume, and finished up squaring the slot bottom ends on the first side of the rest of the track plates:

Here is what they look like so far closer up:

Next is to do the slots on the other sides of the plates. So, moved the starting postion of the mill table over by half the slot spacing, and started milling the other side - here is the test plate with the first two slots milled. Note that this plate is the one I have been using for testing setups, so the second slot from the right on the right has a goof in it, leaving a step.

And here is the first good plate with the second side milled:

And the first three up to that stage - note how they fit together much farther.

And so begins another couple hours of shop time in the next day or so...!   :hellno:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:15:26 PM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2016, 02:30:37 AM »
Looks like you're keeping this project on "track" Chris!  :lolb: Hopefully you won't get dis......"track".....ted! Hey..........someone had to say it!

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2016, 02:42:03 AM »
Looks like you're keeping this project on "track" Chris!  :lolb: Hopefully you won't get dis......"track".....ted! Hey..........someone had to say it!

Jim
The project is gaining track-tion...   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2016, 09:09:59 PM »
More done on the track slots, got the rest of the shallower slots squared up today, and started on doing the deeper center slots, here is a picture of the first handful...

This part goes quite quickly, one more session should have this step all complete, ready to start drilling for the pivots, tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:15:37 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2016, 10:31:36 PM »
Now,  that's much better on my eyes . I don't feel like Sunday morning at Woodstock  :lolb: :lolb:  Nice work  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »
Now,  that's much better on my eyes . I don't feel like Sunday morning at Woodstock  :lolb: :lolb:  Nice work  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

If you go back to that earlier picture and stare at it long enough, you will see a sailboat... Or barf...   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2016, 11:40:39 PM »
I went in to do some more, and flew through the rest of the center slots - just doing one in the same position on each went very quickly (more time spent changing parts than milling them). I think you guys put some magnets in my fingers though, had to stop frequently to pull teensy little splinters of steel out of the pores - ouch! 

So, went through the setup for the pivot pin drilling, and did the first couple holes, starting on the test/spare pieces. The first one was a little off, made a minor adjustment, and the position looked good so I drilled two plates, starting with spot drilling

and then drilling through with a 3/32 bit:

Having the slots there makes the drilling go easily, no need to back out to clear chips every couple turns, just some oil on the bit and it went right through.

After test fitting a piece of the 3/32 rod that will become the pivot pins, and finding that it was too tight a fit, I redrilled with a #41, which is 2 thou larger, now it is a nice slip fit, and will let the plates hinge easily.

Enough for one day, some excellent progress - more tomorrow...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:20:34 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2016, 12:17:38 AM »
Excellent progress indeed Chris.   :popcorn:

Bill

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2016, 04:14:04 AM »
Jaw dropping!
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
Now you just need some advice from Steamer on proper dirt - trackin technique.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal