Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428364 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #750 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »
Got started on the skids today, began with drawing up the profile full size (full size for the model, that is), and cutting it out to use as a pattern for that dusty brown metal - some of you guys might have heard of the brand name, Wood.

Then up to the other shop, and cut a pair of the skids out of some Swiss Pear wood on the bandsaw - great stuff to work, very tight grain and takes a crisp edge.

The next step is to wrap the horizontal surfaces in metal. One of the folks up at the museum kindly sent me some closeups of the real skids, they have a plate iron or steel plate wrapped around the horizontal surfaces, and the tips have plates on the sides. There is also another narrow strip down the bottom to give it some extra bite on turns. Though Jean Claude Kiley has nothing to worry about from these skis...
I cut some strips out of a sheet of 0.020" brass to wrap the tops/bottoms in:

and then cut a narrower strip, bent it to shape, and soldered it in place:

followed by drilling/tapping for 2-56 bolts to hold the strips on. The tap was run through the brass, and a few turns into the wood - the bolts would self thread the rest of the way in.

Also cut out the shorter pieces for the sides of the tips, and started bolting them on as well.

Still need to do the side strips on the second skid, and there is also a metal crossbar that goes between the tips to strengthen the whole assembly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:28:38 AM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #751 on: February 14, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Is that the same tree that the partridge was in? Nice form work.

Cletus

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #752 on: February 14, 2017, 11:06:24 PM »
Nicely done Chris.  Will the brass be painted?

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #753 on: February 14, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
Is that the same tree that the partridge was in? Nice form work.

Cletus
Not sure if it was that tree or the one next to it...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #754 on: February 14, 2017, 11:42:38 PM »
Nicely done Chris.  Will the brass be painted?

-Bob
The entire steering gear assembly, and most of the whole model, will be painted black. The original plates were iron or steel, and the timbers I've seen were either painted or maybe creosoted like railroad ties.

If made today, a Lombard would probably have metalic two tone paint with flames and pinstripes.  As far as I know though, the original ones were just black.

One thing I saw recently was a short video of a gentleman in Maine who has been collecting Lombard parts from abandoned ones in the remote woods, and is building a complete working one! Once done it will be the fourth operational one in the world these days. Here's hoping he gets it going!!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #755 on: February 15, 2017, 01:51:08 AM »
One thing I saw recently was a short video of a gentleman in Maine who has been collecting Lombard parts from abandoned ones in the remote woods, and is building a complete working one! Once done it will be the fourth operational one in the world these days. Here's hoping he gets it going!!

That's the kind of stuff that I find so interesting. The interests different people have and the lengths they will go to do it.

There's stories there...as in each of us...of how we got to where we are and doing what we do.

Some time ago my wife went out and collected stories of old time farmers in the mid-west. Fascinating stuff.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #756 on: February 15, 2017, 05:01:40 AM »
There's a product that the model railroaders use called "Blacken It" for turning brass and other metals somewhat black:
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product/AW2

I think I've got some around here somewhere. If I can find it, I'll put some on some brass and post the results.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #757 on: February 15, 2017, 05:19:19 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Your posting photos of brown steel is going to have Jo reaching for :wine1: :wine1: :lolb:

The skid look good!

The guy finding bits of old haulers to make a "new" is cool! Bit like the guys here who have built a couple of misquito planes, I was watching some YouTube last night on them, great work.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
There's a product that the model railroaders use called "Blacken It" for turning brass and other metals somewhat black:
http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product/AW2

I think I've got some around here somewhere. If I can find it, I'll put some on some brass and post the results.

Jim
I have used it in the past, it works pretty well as long as you get the metal very clean first. There are simaler products for aluminum/etc too, same results, metal must be scoured clean, no oils or tarnish. For the Hauler, the black paint sprayed on is simpler.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
I agree, the paint's simpler.  Besides, it just going to get worn off anyway, right?  I mean you are going to use this hauler in its' natural environment, right?  It's not going to be the steam crawler equivalent of a Ramp Tramp or a Hanger Queen, right?

Are you going to make the wheels that interchanged with the skids so they could use the hauler during the non-winter months?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
I agree, the paint's simpler.  Besides, it just going to get worn off anyway, right?  I mean you are going to use this hauler in its' natural environment, right?  It's not going to be the steam crawler equivalent of a Ramp Tramp or a Hanger Queen, right?

Are you going to make the wheels that interchanged with the skids so they could use the hauler during the non-winter months?

Don

I figure the paint around the sprockets and gears will get worn back, just like the original. The rest will at least get dirty. Assuming it runs well, it should get some frequent playtime out in the yard. The grass is too lumpy for the small front wheels (yes, will be making them to use for running, just like the originals had them to move when no snow). The wheels are only about 1-1/4" or so, since they have to clear the quadrant arm. A larger set would need a longer axle, and would raise the front end. So, it will get most of its running around the driveway and dirt areas. This one will be used, could haul the lumber in to build the hanger for the other models!
I am really curious to see how much weight it will be able to pull on a wheeled cart, a lot depends on the final weight of the hauler and how much grip it can get - on pavement probably not as much as on dirt/gravel. Too much weight to pull on a paved surface will probably make it do burnouts (worlds slowest burnouts? ).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »
Final parts on for the skids, bolted on the upper brackets, and made the crossbars at the tips. Simply lengths of 1/8" bar, threaded 5-40 at the ends for the retaining nuts inside and out of each skid. Ready for some paint! Still need to decide how to make the steering wheel, and make the wheels for summer use.

After the steering wheel and wheels, I think I am going to make the boiler support bracket, and at least mock up the firebox for the boiler so I can set the blank tube for the boiler in place - that should give a much better appearance to everything and keep the motivation up while working on the differential and engine parts! Oh yeah, the engine, this IS an engine forum, right? 'Bout time to get to that part!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:29:08 AM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #762 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:15 PM »
Really shaping up Chris.

It's a really nifty model.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #763 on: February 15, 2017, 11:24:06 PM »
Really shaping up Chris.

It's a really nifty model.

Thanks Zee!   :cheers:

Hmm, once you retire, will you change your handle to ZeeWasAProgrammer?!   :Lol:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #764 on: February 15, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
Hmm, once you retire, will you change your handle to ZeeWasAProgrammer?!   :Lol:

I doubt it. Nor will it be ZeeStillAProgrammer.

Maybe ZeeRetiredProgrammer.

No! It will be 'ZeeHappyProgrammer'. Yeah.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal