Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428638 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #705 on: February 10, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »

Do you think that having the Tooling Plate for the RT would of made your set up any easier? http://sherline.com/product/3725-5-rotary-table-tooling-plate/

Jim

Possibly - it would have given more places to put the hold down clamps, including around the far side. Looks like a simple enough plate, could make one for a lot less than the $50 they want for it.
I wonder how tricky it is to put in place on the table - the four hold downs go in the slots on the table, you would have to put the bottom halves of the hold downs in the slots first then run the screws in from the top - doesnt look too easy to line up, unless the hold downs are at the very end of the slots?

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #706 on: February 10, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
If you stick a small magnet on the end of a rod you can reach in and position the tee nut.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #707 on: February 10, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »
If you stick a small magnet on the end of a rod you can reach in and position the tee nut.

Pete
Neat trick!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #708 on: February 10, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »

Do you think that having the Tooling Plate for the RT would of made your set up any easier? http://sherline.com/product/3725-5-rotary-table-tooling-plate/

Jim

Possibly - it would have given more places to put the hold down clamps, including around the far side. Looks like a simple enough plate, could make one for a lot less than the $50 they want for it.
I wonder how tricky it is to put in place on the table - the four hold downs go in the slots on the table, you would have to put the bottom halves of the hold downs in the slots first then run the screws in from the top - doesnt look too easy to line up, unless the hold downs are at the very end of the slots?

I have one and it's no problem to mount. You slide the T-nuts into the slots on the RT so they're even with the outer engraved ring. Then set the plate onto the RT (it has a boss that drops into the hole in the center of the RT). Spin it around so the mounting holes line up with the T-nuts and then screw down. It should be easy to make one.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AOG

« Reply #709 on: February 10, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
The tooling plate is great. It's all I use on mine. It also has the advantage of being lower profile than useing a chuck. That way you get more z axis room if you use it right.

Tony

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #710 on: February 10, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
Thanks guys! I'll look into setting one up.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #711 on: February 10, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »
Bunch done this afternoon - started with rounding off the back corners on the quadrant arm

and then drilling the holes for the support brace

The brace itself started out as a length of square bar, milled in the end with a cutter the same size as the axle,

and then drilled the mount holes to match the ones in the quadrant. These are for locator pins during soldering.

Next the arm was tilted in the vise

and the top milled off

leaving a nicely tapered arm ready to solder on

After soldering the arm in place, last steps were to turn down the axle ends and trim them to length.

The long end on top will fit into the drawbar bracket and act as the pivot, and the lower end will get the front axle hinge assembly.

Next up, got the gear support brackets made, starting with drilling the holes for the gear shafts. Both plates were kept clamped together through these steps to keep the holes and recesses aligned properly.

The through holes for bolting the plates to the vertical back plate were drilled next,

and the recess for the front milled in.

The back plate was then drilled/tapped for the mounting bolts

as well as the holes to bolt this plate to the front bolster on the frame

Here are the parts so far test fit together. The top/bottom plates had their ends rounded over on the belt/disc sander - that shape is not critical, so it was quicker to sand them by eye than to set up the mill and a holder.

Next time I'll get started on the drawbar block, which holds the quadrant pin as well as providing a front tow hook.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:27:04 AM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #712 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:04 PM »
That's quite a nice little assembly there Chris, and a lot of work in it too!!  Much more than the casual observer would ever realize. It will look good mounted to the front of the frame.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #713 on: February 11, 2017, 01:43:07 AM »
Damn Dog, them elves have been busy.  :lolb: bet you been feeding them plenty of cookies...Looks great Chris  :ThumbsUp:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #714 on: February 11, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
Hi Chris, I am still there and following quietly. Impressive progress.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #715 on: February 11, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Glad to have you all along for the ride!

:cheers:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #716 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »
Looks good, Chris.  It looks like that clock building experience is coming in handy!  ;)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #717 on: February 11, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »
Continuing on with the front steering gear assembly, next up was the front drawbar block. I started with a chunk of steel from a larger bar, and milled it down to a 1"x3/4"x1/2" shape, always keeping two of the original outside edges on the back and bottom of the mill vise so no angles built up as I went.

then drilled/tapped a pair of holes in the back end to bolt it to the mounting plate

which was temporarily held on with a pair of bolts. I was going to silver solder it, later on decided to countersink the bolts and hold it together with high strength loctite.

Next step was to cut the slot for the drawbar - first chain drilled two holes to remove the bulk of the metal

and cleaned it up with an end mill

and then drilled the holes through from the top for the drawbar pin (small hole) and the quadrant arm pivot (large hole).

then milled a step into the top surface, angled slightly down to the front end

and milled steps into the side in front of the pivot hole

Next up was the mounting plate, drilled holes for the bolts that will hold it to the block and to the front frame bolster

Marked out the holes in the bolster (removed from the rest of the frame), and drilled/tapped those

With the drawbar block and quadrant arm in place, I held up the steering gear assembly and marked the holes to hold it to the bolster, then drilled/tapped those as well.

And a couple shots of it all together on the frame again:

I still need to turn the drawbar pin, which is a simple stepped rod, and then can start on the lower steering arm and front axle assembly...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:27:15 AM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #718 on: February 11, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »
Looks good, Chris.  It looks like that clock building experience is coming in handy!  ;)

Jim
Oh yeah! Couple of gears, no sweat!  Bevel gears still take a while, only done a few of those.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #719 on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
Glad to have you all along for the ride!

As bumpy as it is...it's a good ride.  :Lol:
And you;re able to stick to the road better than I do.  :lolb:

Where I'm going...I don't need...roads.

Hey...is that yet another boat in the background (12th pic I think).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal