Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428614 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #645 on: February 01, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

When you said you tapered both sides...shallow? It's hard for me to see or know what you did.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #646 on: February 01, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
:ThumbsUp:

When you said you tapered both sides...shallow? It's hard for me to see or know what you did.
Yeah, does not show up that much. Starting a little below the base of the teeth, where the bottom of the chain side rails land, it tapers about 25 or 30 thou on each side to the tips of the teeth, to reduce the tendancy for the teeth to grab the side rails as they come around. I'm sure that there is some rule of thumb out there, but I dont know it, so I eyeballed these and came up with a taper that seems to work. I turned in the taper on the lathe when I made the blanks, before I cut the teeth, which made it easier to sight down the edges and see if they were balanced. The real test will be when the big sprockets are done, and I can spin everything round.

Commercially available chains have gotten SO standardized these days to just a few sizes for the smaller ones, that everyone just seems to use the same design, and there is little discussion about how they got there, unlike gear teeth which have lots of info out there.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #647 on: February 01, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »
Lots of progress Chris! Regarding the shop elves ( even if they are bad hackers) as the Borg say..."Resistance is futile"  :lolb:

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #648 on: February 01, 2017, 11:28:33 PM »
You sure the elves are eating cookies and aren't on crack  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #649 on: February 02, 2017, 02:07:07 AM »
You sure the elves are eating cookies and aren't on crack  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

No, thats the plumber's elves, with little butt cracks showing!   :lolb:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »
Lots of progress Chris! Regarding the shop elves ( even if they are bad hackers) as the Borg say..."Resistance is futile"  :lolb:

Bill
Huh. That's not the formula for resistance that I learned in school....

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #651 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
I got a good start on the rear drive sprockets today - started by cutting out some 303 stainless plate stock and drilling/boring a center hole for the hub:

The center hole in the plates are a little under the size of the outside of the hub, so I turned a shoulder on some 1/2" bar stock for the plates to sit against. Here is one of the plates with the hub ready to silver solder in place. To make sure the hub didn't shift during soldering, I staked the plate in a couple places with a center punch right next to the hub.

After soldering, started turning down the plate to size.

and then turned in the recessed areas for the spokes and the teeth. Like the smaller sprockets, the tooth area is tapered out to the edge. Since I made the hub long enough to go through and come out the other side of the plate, I could turn it around and shape the other side as well.

The hub will be trimmed back on the one side as a final step later, after the teeth have been cut and tested with the chain. Next time, on to the rotary table on the mill to cut the teeth...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:23:36 AM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #652 on: February 02, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
Do you mean the hub goes through the plate?

At first I was thinking the hub was on one side and then I was wondering how you were holding onto the plate when the hub was on the other side.
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #653 on: February 03, 2017, 01:05:43 AM »
Do you mean the hub goes through the plate?

At first I was thinking the hub was on one side and then I was wondering how you were holding onto the plate when the hub was on the other side.
Yup, I made the narrow side of the hub long enough to protrude .25 out the other side so I can hold it from both sides in the lathe. I'll turn most of that off as the last operation, leaving the full hub on one side only. The axle is .250, the hole in the plate and the narrow end of the hub are .400.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #654 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
Moving right along Chris. You are giving that Sherline equipment a workout ... again!

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #655 on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Moving right along Chris. You are giving that Sherline equipment a workout ... again!

Tom

I keep excercising it, but its muscles aren't any bigger!   :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #656 on: February 03, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
This morning I got the large drive sprockets set up on the rotary table to cut the teeth. Started by drilling the bottom arcs with a small drill, then plunge cutting with an end mill. This left a nice cut just in the right place, where drilling with the same size twist drill would have been tricky due to the taper on that portion of the disc making it want to drift outwards a touch, even with spot drilling first.

Then offset the rotary table 10 degrees, and moved the table in .475", which worked out to give the teeth the proper slope, cutting first on one side

then offsetting the angle and table the opposite direction to cut the other side,

before giving it a quick test with the chain before removing the sprocket from the chuck to debur it:

One of the sprockets needed the shoulder below the teeth taken back another 10 thou, the rest looks good. Here is one sprocket/chain set together:

and test fit on the track axle - little hard to get a good photo of it with the frame in the way.

So, with teeth cut on both sprocket sets, next time I'll start cutting the spokes in the large sprockets, and drill/tap for the grub screws to hold them to the axles.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:23:58 AM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #657 on: February 03, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
Sweet Chris!!  Those look really nice!!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #658 on: February 03, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »
Seems like I saw all this before. Oh yeah. The smaller sprockets.  :Lol:

Well it was worth seeing again.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #659 on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
Seems like I saw all this before. Oh yeah. The smaller sprockets.  :Lol:

Well it was worth seeing again.  ;D

Yeah, deja vu all over again, just bigger. The next step will look familiar too, cutting spokes just like on the track sprockets.

It will get more exciting next week, when I start the steering gear assembly for the front of the frame.

Enough cutting for one day, time to go watch some Road Runner cartoons and relax!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal