Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428679 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
I'm riding with Don,  I'm drinking and he's driving  :lolb: :lolb:. Man, that is looking great.  I just now tried to count the individual track segments;  as the guy at the drive thru Chinese restaurant says everytime I order beef chow mein: "Lotta cabbage" , lotta pieces  :cheers:. I know you want to paint it and having it looking "as delivered" new,  but,  I bet Jerry and I would like to see you just rub a little red clay on what you have  :facepalm: :shrug: :stir:.

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »
I'm riding with Don,  I'm drinking and he's driving  :lolb: :lolb:. Man, that is looking great.  I just now tried to count the individual track segments;  as the guy at the drive thru Chinese restaurant says everytime I order beef chow mein: "Lotta cabbage" , lotta pieces  :cheers:. I know you want to paint it and having it looking "as delivered" new,  but,  I bet Jerry and I would like to see you just rub a little red clay on what you have  :facepalm: :shrug: :stir:.

Cletus

Hope its a better ride than the old joke:  "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!"

To save the counting, 30 track plates per side, 30 pins, 60 washers, 30 cotters, per side. LOTSA parts!

The frames will be painted, tracks not, it will pick up natural patina outside running plus the wet steam oil dripping around...

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2016, 11:52:53 PM »
I don't mind a little paint, but we only had one color in our shops and that was yella. I know Chris isn't going that way so maybe you're right. A little red dog packed in the rollers would look about right.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #363 on: December 07, 2016, 04:45:55 AM »
I don't mind a little paint, but we only had one color in our shops and that was yella. I know Chris isn't going that way so maybe you're right. A little red dog packed in the rollers would look about right.
Yella? I'd do more than yell at anyone who got that near this model!! Ick!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #364 on: December 07, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
Catching up on work from yesterday...

Started out with the bearing blocks by milling the slot in the bases to fit over the top rail in the track frames

and cutting the notch in the end

At this point I cut the individual blocks apart from the longer bar

and drilled/tapped the holes in the end for the tension adjusting bolt

and then set up in the lathe in the 4 jaw to drill the hole for the axle bushing. The holes were set to line up with the height of the rear axle bushing that is already in the track frame. A spacer was put behind the part to get clearance from the jaws for the facing operation in a couple steps.

The starter hole was then bored out to the size of the bushing

and the face turned in to form the boss on the outside.

Here are the bearing blocks set in place on the track frame, ready to make the bushings.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:53:15 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #365 on: December 07, 2016, 05:44:05 PM »
This morning I got the bearing block bearings turned out of bronze rod and loctited into place

and then the block ends rounded off on the belt sander, few seconds on each corner with the occasional dip in water to cool them and all set.

Also got a start on making the mounting studs to hold the blocks onto the frames.

Here is the first one test fitted, when the studs are done I will make up a set of proper size nuts, these commercial ones are out of scale.

So, a bit more to do on these parts, then I can start on the bearing blocks for the center axle, which is simaler.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:53:27 PM by crueby »

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #366 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
I'll bet Mr. Lombard would have loved to have you as an employee! Talk about output! And you have been know to work for cookies as well :lolb:

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #367 on: December 07, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
I'll bet Mr. Lombard would have loved to have you as an employee! Talk about output! And you have been know to work for cookies as well :lolb:

Tom

I will also work for peanuts!!

Popcorn....

Beer...

Batter dipped Haddock...

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #368 on: December 07, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
And I got the rest of the front bearing studs made this afternoon, and during test fitting realized that I have to recorrect my correction of a statement that was in reply to what AOG said...
It is NOT possible to slip the track and sprockets into place without removing a cotter pin and a pivot pin from the track. I thought there was, but once the full length bearing hold down studs were in place, it took up that extra room, and it wont quite go in anymore. It is much easier to pull a pin and replace it than to remove/replace the studs each time. Oh well! 
 :zap:
Still, not a big deal. I think I am close to ready to install the tracks that last time - got to make up a batch of 4-40 nuts for the tops of the bearing blocks, and throw a coat of paint (yes, and mud and grime and smooshed rabbits) at the track frames. The roller chains can slip in with the tracks un-tensioned, as can the center axle pivots.

Not tonight though, have to take a run up to the range and pick up my new compound bow (Merry Christmas to me....)   :whoohoo:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #369 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:24 PM »
No No, there would have been no smooshed rabbits,  the crew would have taken them out with a spotlight and a .22 single shot  and had 'em fer supper. I bet Jim will tell you some of the best "feast " he's ever had was on some right of way or job site.  Them boys know how to eat.

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #370 on: December 08, 2016, 07:37:26 PM »
Got a start making a batch of 4-40 nuts for the bearing block mounting studs

You can see in this shot the difference from hardware store version (center) to the more scale ones on the outsides:

and then got a couple coats of paint (duplicolor universal flat black spray) on the frames and sprockets. I've used this stuff on my submarines, holds up pretty well, dries quick for recoating. Gets a little trickier to get a good light angle for the photos though.

I am going to let it set up before assembling the tracks onto the frames.

and with the sprockets set in place above the bearing blocks:

While that is drying, I will get a start on the studs for the center axle and then on the center bearing blocks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:53:46 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #371 on: December 09, 2016, 12:39:42 AM »
Hi Chris,
 That's looking soooo COOL, the nut size makes a real difference!
As a thought for your rollers, have you looked to see if you can can drive chain, the rollers are hardened as are the pins? A friend of my some years ago had the need for some hardened short tube or roller, can't remember which...... :old:,  duplex or triplex may give you the size required. Just grind one end off the pins & Bob's your auntie !

Oh on the rabbit front, you might have to gear her up a notch or two!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2016, 12:46:31 AM »
Hi Chris,
 That's looking soooo COOL, the nut size makes a real difference!
As a thought for your rollers, have you looked to see if you can can drive chain, the rollers are hardened as are the pins? A friend of my some years ago had the need for some hardened short tube or roller, can't remember which...... :old: ,  duplex or triplex may give you the size required. Just grind one end off the pins & Bob's your auntie !

Oh on the rabbit front, you might have to gear her up a notch or two!

Cheers Kerrin

I've looked at the drive chains available out there now, the diameters/widths dont quite match up to what I need, so will go the make-em route.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #373 on: December 09, 2016, 12:53:12 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of the tracks assembled onto the frames and bearings:

They roll fairly well, even without the roller chains at the bottom, which will help smooth out the motion (I hope).

I know that there are those out there (you know who you are) who wont believe they move without a video, so here it is!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNOCn3DwQs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNOCn3DwQs</a>
 :cheers:
Now on to making the center axle bearing and the axle itself - will be a few days, we have several events the next few days, including a train show at the local college.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:53:59 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2016, 02:09:46 AM »
Hi Chris,
 That makes all the right noises!

On the chain front, sorry didn't make it clear, was just suggesting the brought chain as a source of supply of the rollers & potentially the pins. Remove them from the brought stuff & make up your own side links. But I guess you still end up in the same boat(err in your case submarine) that the rollers have to be the right size!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal