Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428669 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
For display at shows, hopefully you'll be able to raise the model so that the tracks can be seen moving in place.

Oh yes! I did the same on the Shay, which sits on a trestle stand that I can put blocks on to raise the wheels just off the track. For the hauler, I may need a set of rollers to press the bottom of the track up so the bottom roller chain will move like it should too. For shows, the blowdown valve on the bottom of the boiler makes a good spot to bring in the air line.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 02:16:08 PM »
In the 'Small World' vein, you found that some work was done at the University of Maine on the restoration. Brian Barker, who now owns the Mach3 CNC software business was at the U then and made the cylinder, Piston and rod, and some track rollers. I just told him about your project and he is interested. Why dont you come out to Maine for a few days, we can visit the museum and Brians shop.
Wow! I was just looking at the pics and drawings of that work the other day! Great job on them.They posted the cad drawings of those parts, which will be very helpful to me when I get to the engine. I was hoping to get up there next spring or summer when they have an event with their hauler going. By then also enough should be built to show them the work. Is Brians shop in tnat area too? I'll be in touch!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:27 PM »
What a great project Chris! I'll be following this one closely!

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »
Couple sessions on the mill today, got almost all the track plates milled to proper length as shown in the earlier post, and should be starting the next step tomorrow - using a round-over mill bit to round the sides, which will become the ends of the 'fingers' in the track joints....

What a great project Chris! I'll be following this one closely!

John

Thanks John - welcome to the party!

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:19 PM »
Wow! I was just looking at the pics and drawings of that work the other day! Great job on them.They posted the cad drawings of those parts, which will be very helpful to me when I get to the engine. I was hoping to get up there next spring or summer when they have an event with their hauler going. By then also enough should be built to show them the work. Is Brians shop in tnat area too? I'll be in touch!

Well, by Maine standards we are all  pretty close, but Maine is a big place, and a couple hundred miles is no big deal. Its about 60 miles for me to Brians shop, and maybe 100 to the lumber museum, not in the same direction of course.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 11:43:11 PM »

Well, by Maine standards we are all  pretty close, but Maine is a big place, and a couple hundred miles is no big deal. Its about 60 miles for me to Brians shop, and maybe 100 to the lumber museum, not in the same direction of course.

Of course, always in another direction! From here (western NY state) to southern Maine is about 7-1/2 hours - farther than it used to be many years ago when I used to drive up and back in a day for maritime antique auctions, don't want to try that one anymore!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 11:45:24 PM »
One more picture set for the day, the last of the plates are trimmed to length, and the setup is made for rounding the sides. Just a couple of those done so far, more next time...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:39:39 AM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
Just checking in Chris to see if this thing is running yet  :lolb:  Nice work on the track parts so far though!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 12:09:51 AM »
Just checking in Chris to see if this thing is running yet  :lolb:  Nice work on the track parts so far though!!

Bill

I didn't know you were actually Bill Nye The Science Guy, with your own time machine to look at the machine in the future!  :ROFL: How's it look? What goofs did I make that I can now avoid?   :noidea:

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »
Chris you just keep spitting these engines out bud. I have to ask, do you sleep? Always nice to follow along to some great craftsmanship........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
Chris,  I can assure you it looks perfect like all of your work does. You're gonna love driving it around the house or yard :)  which brings up a question...how your going to steer this thing...servo? or just let it go where it wants. Darn, guess I will have to fire the Delorean back up and go check that out...forgot to on the last visit  :lolb:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 12:47:09 AM »
Chris you just keep spitting these engines out bud. I have to ask, do you sleep? Always nice to follow along to some great craftsmanship........ :ThumbsUp:

Don
Lots of sleep, I just get a lot more done on my own projects after retiring. Lots of hobbies, lots of fun!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 12:52:34 AM »
Chris,  I can assure you it looks perfect like all of your work does. You're gonna love driving it around the house or yard :)  which brings up a question...how your going to steer this thing...servo? or just let it go where it wants. Darn, guess I will have to fire the Delorean back up and go check that out...forgot to on the last visit  :lolb:

Bill

It will have an RC setup for throttle, fwd/reverse, and steering. Maybe whistle too. The steering link will most likely require being able to disconnect the steering wheel since it is gear reduced to the front axle. Fortunately the wood/coal box behind the cab will have plenty of room to hide both radio and the butane tank fir the burner. These days it is common to RC gauge 1 trains so no need to invent anything to control this one. It should scare the nuts off the squirrels!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 03:00:32 AM »

Bill

It will have an RC setup for throttle, fwd/reverse, and steering. Maybe whistle too. The steering link will most likely require being able to disconnect the steering wheel since it is gear reduced to the front axle. Fortunately the wood/coal box behind the cab will have plenty of room to hide both radio and the butane tank fir the burner. These days it is common to RC gauge 1 trains so no need to invent anything to control this one. It should scare the nuts off the squirrels!

Yes.............a whistle............for sure gotta have a whistle!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:42 AM »

Bill

Yes.............a whistle............for sure gotta have a whistle!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim

That was one neat idea from the way Kozo designed the New Shay, the scale whistle would be good for calling dogs only, so he hid a much bigger one behind the engine to give it a deeper tone. Something similar should fit inside the frame of the Lombard, maybe even longer than on the Shay. Check the video from the Shay completed posts...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal