Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428179 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #285 on: November 29, 2016, 02:03:26 AM »
What does he have in his shop that you don't ... besides friendly and hard working elves?
Elves are good to have around your shop. Gnomes, on the other hand, are malicious little buggers!!!----
That's why its so important to make the elves favorite cookies, put out little glasses of milk, and make them comfy chairs...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #286 on: November 29, 2016, 02:03:45 AM »
Chris I am just catching up on your build and buddy that is awesome........ :praise2:

Don
Thanks Don!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2016, 02:10:43 AM »
Hmmm ... Ya learn something every day.
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #288 on: November 29, 2016, 12:46:32 AM »
And good Elves are hard to find this time of year with so many of them working up North for the season. Really have to bribe them a bit to keep them around.
Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #289 on: November 29, 2016, 02:48:50 AM »
And good Elves are hard to find this time of year with so many of them working up North for the season. Really have to bribe them a bit to keep them around.
Gail in NM
Hint. They love mint chocolate chip cookies.  Trust me on this one.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #290 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:06 AM »
Chris, the track frames are looking great.  Do you always get things right on the first try?  That could be one of the reasons that you make such good progress but doesn't that leave your scrap box a little empty?  Mine on the other hand is well stocked with "not quites."

But seriously, I have been looking at the plans and photos of the track assemblies and I am not able to confirm or rule out the existence of any struts, braces, webs, or connection between the two sides of the track frames.  The boss that encloses center pivot shaft that is bolted to the top of both sides seems to be the only solid connection.  The only other connections are the sprocket shafts.  Is that the way that you see it as well, or am I looking at this all wrong?   It seems odd to me because the track frames on modern dozers are a one piece casting with webs between the two sides.  I don't really wear belts and suspenders at the same time but it seems to me that the frames could use some stiffening.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #291 on: November 29, 2016, 04:50:19 AM »
Chris, the track frames are looking great.  Do you always get things right on the first try?  That could be one of the reasons that you make such good progress but doesn't that leave your scrap box a little empty?  Mine on the other hand is well stocked with "not quites."

But seriously, I have been looking at the plans and photos of the track assemblies and I am not able to confirm or rule out the existence of any struts, braces, webs, or connection between the two sides of the track frames.  The boss that encloses center pivot shaft that is bolted to the top of both sides seems to be the only solid connection.  The only other connections are the sprocket shafts.  Is that the way that you see it as well, or am I looking at this all wrong?   It seems odd to me because the track frames on modern dozers are a one piece casting with webs between the two sides.  I don't really wear belts and suspenders at the same time but it seems to me that the frames could use some stiffening.
Oh no, my scrap boxES are definitely loaded. Some get reused on smaller parts, some as ballast in the rc boats. I mafe half a dozen extra track pads, needed them all. So far no goofs on the track frames, but not done yet!

Great minds think alike. I also have spent a lot of time looking through every photo of the track frames at the museum, cannot find any sign of any spacers other than the central pivot. The sprocket will hold the bearing blocks apart, but it seems like that is not enough for all the stresses that they would experience. I am planning on putting a spacer block down lower in the middle, with a set of bolts through from the inside where they won't show. Its possible that there was nothing else but I doubt it, but during the restoration they never had to take that assembly apart so no pics. Fortunately for me they did full teardowns on most everything else. I won't be getting up to Maine till spring, so won't be able to see for myself till then. Be sure I will be taking gons of pics from every angle I can! Down the top between the frame playes is top on my list. Its very possible that they had a horizontal plate between the roller guides. Time will tell.

Nice to have another set of eyes on this, if I am missing something feel free to sing out!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #292 on: November 29, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
Started in on the bottom flanges of the track frames this morning, cut some 1/2" x 1/8" bar stock to length and milled the ends square, then drilled for the mounting holes in the side and bottom:

likewise for the narrow strips that will form the edge guide for the roller chain

Here are the parts tapped and screwed together for a test fit:

The last parts to make before soldering it all together are the box beams that sit on top of this flange...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:48:50 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Y'all stand by, he's getting ready to "flux his muscles" :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #294 on: November 29, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
Y'all stand by, he's getting ready to "flux his muscles" :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

Okay, thats enough cookies for you, mister. The sugar high is getting to you!   :Lol:

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #295 on: November 29, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »
Perhaps he has been sniffing the "Special" BBQ sauce again ...
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #296 on: November 29, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
Perhaps he has been sniffing the "Special" BBQ sauce again ...
Ah, yes, clear sauce, comes in a mason jar...

« Reply #297 on: November 29, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
Y'all are just amazed that I came up with a funny like that  :lolb: :lolb:. wagnmkr, I said no, no , no more I don't  (sniff) it no more , I'm tired of waking up on the floor , no thank you please,  it only makes me sneeze, then it makes it hard to find the door  :lolb: :lolb:. Bettles  1970 something  :lolb: :lolb: Remember there is only two kinds of "shine ", Sun and Moon  :lolb: :old: :lolb:

Cletus

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:09:15 PM by Tennessee Whiskey »

« Reply #298 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
Chris,  if you don't mind I'd like to share this with your faithful followers,  perhaps it will help with their shop progress :
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/mint-chocolate-chip-cookies/22bebeda-ea36-441a-9909-ae78409d6da6.

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #299 on: November 30, 2016, 01:07:11 AM »
Chris,  if you don't mind I'd like to share this with your faithful followers,  perhaps it will help with their shop progress :
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/mint-chocolate-chip-cookies/22bebeda-ea36-441a-9909-ae78409d6da6.

Cletus
Not bad, but I think mine would be better, I'll have to dig out the recipe and see if the elves will let me post it. Brown sugar, dark chocolate chips, and mint baking emulsion makes a big difference. The elves can tell!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal