Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428428 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2205 on: February 03, 2019, 01:49:03 PM »
Rod, that sucks, he had a lot of great pics collected on his site. For those who had not seen it, he had built a very nice Lombard model a couple years before I did mine, and had collected a lot of vintage photos and videos off the net. Hope he can get it back up someday.
Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2206 on: February 03, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
Rod, BTW, how is your model of the Lombard coming along, have not seen any pics in a while?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2207 on: June 06, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
Hi all, have not posted anything on this thread in a while, since starting on the Marion build, but do have one update to make. I had been helping one of the guys up at the museum with a copy of my 3D model in Fusion for a video he was putting together with proposed changes at the museum for parking and such, when I saw that he had included a Lombard-shaped weathervane on the roof of the barn they store it in. As soon as I saw that, I knew that we needed a weathervane like that for real! So, did some experimenting with how to make it, copper sheet, that sort of thing, and finally settled on having the outline water-jet cut in some stainless steel plate. Had that done from a place I found online, then made the pivot tube and brackets to hold it to the post, and bought some off-the-shelf weathervane parts for the post, letters, balls, etc.

Here is what it looked like before packing it up to send it up to the museum (they got it today, so not spoiling the surprise)

As soon as they get it installed I'll post a picture of how it looks on top of the barn. I'll be up there again this fall at the Living History Days event and get more pics.
 :cheers:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2208 on: June 06, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
Hello Chris,

That is a really nice looking Vane, they should be most pleased.

Is that a Main Lobster Boat in the background?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2209 on: June 06, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »
Hello Chris,

That is a really nice looking Vane, they should be most pleased.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Yup, one of my RC fleet.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2210 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »
Hi Chris, the weathervane looks great!

This is one instance where it's a good thing when your work is "in vane".....

(sorry for the bad pun, again!     :facepalm:)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2211 on: June 06, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »
Hi Chris, the weathervane looks great!

This is one instance where it's a good thing when your work is "in vane".....

(sorry for the bad pun, again!     :facepalm: )
The shop elves are releasing their bad pun enforcer at you...

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #2212 on: June 06, 2019, 10:27:18 PM »

Have a great day,
Thomas

Hey, that is MAINE, the state. We call this "The way life should be", lets not deride our boat name to something like a street name.  ;D

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2213 on: June 07, 2019, 03:13:12 AM »

Have a great day,
Thomas

Hey, that is MAINE, the state. We call this "The way life should be", lets not deride our boat name to something like a street name.  ;D
Ayuh.

:lolb:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2214 on: June 07, 2019, 03:33:35 AM »
Unless of course someone named their lobster boat "State Street or Water Street" :facepalm:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2215 on: June 07, 2019, 04:25:58 AM »
Ah, Zee has ruined us all...!   :Jester:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2216 on: June 16, 2019, 03:49:38 AM »
A couple of weeks ago one of the guys at the museum up in Maine with the real Lombard hauler that I based my model on sent me a animated video that had a lot of the proposed changes they have to the grounds at the logging museum. At the very end, he finished the animation up with a flyby of the big barn that they store the Lombards in, and he had added a Lombard-shaped weathervane to it. As soon as I saw that, I knew that I had to make that a reality. After some experimenting, settled on getting the outline waterjet cut at a place I found online where you can upload the design, they cut it for me in .100" thick stainless steel, at about 30" long. Added some braces to hold a stainless tube with bronze bearings for the post assembly, which is off the shelf items from one of the weathervane shops. Mailed it up to them, and today they got it installed on top of the Machinery Hall building that the Lombards are parked in. Here is how it looks:

Couple of video links that Herb Crosby at the museum sent me of the install and the event they held today, the spring Alewive Run where they had running races, the Lombards running, as well as the sawmills:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCdzijSzMyA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCdzijSzMyA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqLDfGGAcf0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqLDfGGAcf0</a>

And a link to a photo collection Herb took:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w52TDw1PowqgLqQo7
Wish I could have made it up there today, but I will be there in the fall for the Living History Days weekend that they hold.
 :cheers:

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #2217 on: June 16, 2019, 04:39:52 AM »
First class installation with bucket truck and all. Great job. Weather vanes have always fascinated me. I wish someone would design a scale model shingle mill as shown in the 2nd video.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2218 on: June 16, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
Hello Chris,

You are so fortunate to be associated with that group of folks and have access to all that great equipment.

Your vane looks really good on their barn and it shows how much they appreciate your work.

Man that big disc saw is awesome and a bit scary.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2219 on: June 16, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
First class installation with bucket truck and all. Great job. Weather vanes have always fascinated me. I wish someone would design a scale model shingle mill as shown in the 2nd video.
That would be a great model, though it would need a different power source. Around the back of the shingle mill is the front end of an old Toyota with a takeoff shaft running back to the mill!!

So glad they had access to the bucket truck, that roof is a long way up in the air. Got lucky with the placement of the wood beams inside the roof.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal