Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 436902 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2160 on: September 30, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »
Chris that is an absolutely STUNNING build .....and in such a short time too!   Loads of congrats are in order.        :praise2:       Terry

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2161 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
Label on the side...

"Elf driver training in progress....keep clear!"

Great idea Chris, it will be a hit at any shows you are at.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2162 on: September 30, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
Very nice looking base Chris. That should do nicely for show demonstrations.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2163 on: September 30, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »
Label on the side...

"Elf driver training in progress....keep clear!"

Great idea Chris, it will be a hit at any shows you are at.

Cheers Kerrin
It should save time wrapping the whole thing in bubble wrap for their training runs!   :Lol:

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2164 on: October 01, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »
That stand is going to be fantastic for shows. One of the Toronto Society of Model Engineers does stands for his models in which he hides a Filter Regulator Lubricator unit. He can plug the air line in at the back and control the pressure. He uses air tool lubricant in the unit and can run all day without worrying about the engine running out of lubricant.
Regards,
Gerald.
I found a photo of one on the TSME website.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:50:11 PM by steamboatmodel »
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2165 on: October 01, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
That stand is going to be fantastic for shows. One of the Toronto Society of Model Engineers does stands for his models in which he hides a Filter Regulator Lubricator unit. He can plug the air line in at the back and control the pressure. He uses air tool lubricant in the unit and can run all day without worrying about the engine running out of lubricant.
Regards,
Gerald.
Thats a great idea - maybe I'll get that kind of set up for the Cabin Fever outing. Thanks!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2166 on: October 01, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
Getting things packed up for the Living History Days at the museum in Maine next weekend, will be taking the Lombard and Shay models up to show there. They will be running their full-size steam Lombard both days, as well as a 1932 gas-engine Lombard belonging to the Breton family, in addition to the sawmill, shingle mill, the line-shaft workshop, and all sorts of crafts/re-enactors. If you are anywhere near Maine, it should be a great time, drive up!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2167 on: October 02, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
The display base is completed, got some bondo on the top surface to simulate the snow tracks, and painted it white with a topcoat of craft snow paint, which has some glitter in it. Hard to get a photo that shows both the white snow and the black engine, but here is what it looks like:

I ran a test with the air compressor hooked up to the steam dome - works fairly well, need to adjust the height of the rear axle support up a bit more to reduce the pressure on the base tracks to reduce the bounce as the next track plate comes up around, and also come up with an air connection that is a little more subtle. Think I'm going to stuff some insulation into the base as well, it is acting like a big sounding board, echoing all the sounds pretty loudly.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pveUIU1Us" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pveUIU1Us</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2168 on: October 07, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
Up at the logging museum in Maine this weekend, huge turnout for all the activities (1000 or so). The museum ran thier steam Lombard plus the 1932 gas engined one owned by the Bretons, great to see both running together. I ran my model around inside the visitor center (outside gravel/dirt roads are way too rough and soft for the small front wheels). Lots of interest in the models.

Other than that, I spent most of the day steering the steam Lombard around the grounds (they do laps taking visitors for rides), lost track of how many laps I did, at least 12 or 15, plus pulling it out of the barn in the morning and backing it in at the end of the day. Imagine backing a huge truck with no rear window, no mirrors, and a box wider than the cab. And no power steering and a 15:1 steering wheel gear. Fun as long as you have others directing!

Maybe tomorrow I'll spend some time seeing the rest of the events!   :Lol:

Photos and videos to follow on Tuesday or Wednesday!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:30:47 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2169 on: October 07, 2017, 11:37:32 PM »
Sounds like everyone is having a great time Chris. Looking forward to the pics and videos.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2170 on: October 07, 2017, 11:50:43 PM »
Does sound like you're having a blast!  And I'm not surprised that there's lots of interest in the model!  Its pretty amazing!

Enjoy, and as Bill said, we'll look forward to the pics when you get home.
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2171 on: October 08, 2017, 01:16:09 AM »
Got sent this shot from my time steering today...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2172 on: October 08, 2017, 01:30:28 AM »
That's a nice shot!  Looks like you're having a lot of fun there :)  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2173 on: October 08, 2017, 11:49:04 PM »
More time running the Lombard model today at the museum, getting better at picking a starting water level - had not left enough steam room at the top on some of the earlier runs, I think, getting less water through the first revs now.

The official gate for yesterday was 1078 visitors, excellent for a small show out in the woods of northern Maine. Today's was less, some rainstorms moved through late morning, but not bad. Good news for the sawmill,  the creek low has been non-existent lately, very dry fall.  I didn't get in quite as many runs in the real Lombard today, but did get to drive the gas powered one out to the main loop from the barn. That was another big treat. Its a 1932 model, mostly original except for the engine, which still exists but belongs to someone else, they are trying to get it and reunite the two. Now it has a slightly smaller bus engine and transmission, actually both transmissions are in line, so the gear ratio is way low, reverse is really slow, and 2nd is about what 1st should be. Still a great thing to have two generations of the tracked vehicles going together.

Pictures and videos to follow in a couple of days!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2174 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:02 PM »
Back home from Maine, will be sorting and uploading photos and videos tomorrow, so in the meantime here is a video that Herb Crosby at the museum put together of the entire event, lots of fun stuff going on...

https://youtu.be/9XQqpfVhWPY

A great video that he and Terry Harper did on how the Lombard works:
https://youtu.be/zSjLAuzoeVA

Also a bunch of photos from him:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8mkKPqv2XmJBDeNN2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal