Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428260 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2145 on: September 25, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »
Chris--It's a beautiful thing. Thank you so much for such good coverage of your project. Well done!!!--Brian

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2146 on: September 26, 2017, 12:47:57 AM »
Next stop, the event at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum at the end of next week!

:ShakeHead:

You meant, "Next stop...Stanley Steamer".  ;D

Impressive job Chris. And I mean impressive.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2147 on: September 26, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
Thanks guys, been a great journey, and am very happy with the destination!

Next stop, the event at the Maine Forest & Logging Museum at the end of next week!

:ShakeHead:

You meant, "Next stop...Stanley Steamer".  ;D

Impressive job Chris. And I mean impressive.

Um, yeah, that's it! Just, the Stanley car is going to be REALLY big and have a giant shovel bucket on the front!!  :hellno:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:15:36 AM by crueby »

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2148 on: September 26, 2017, 01:35:52 AM »

Um, yeah, that's it! Just, the Stanley car is going to be REALLY big and have a giant shovel bucket on the front!!  :hellno:

... and the cab will likely be quite boxy as well ... and it might be on tracks for off roading :lolb:
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2149 on: September 26, 2017, 01:39:15 AM »
Still happy you found the root cause Chris. The next steamup should be near perfect!!

Bill
Uh oh, you had to say it.   :facepalm:

Hey Murphy, HE said it, go get HIM!!   :Lol:
Send the Elves over tell them he promised chocolate chip cookies, then see what they do when they don't get any" Elves with attitude"
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2150 on: September 26, 2017, 01:42:44 AM »
Congratulations Chris, she's a thing of beauty!  And lots of fun too :)
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2151 on: September 26, 2017, 02:35:06 AM »
More congratulations Chris.  Truly amazing in the quality of the design and  work, the efficiency and speed with which you made all the components.

And you have kept up an amazing build log all the way through, which is a real master class on every step of the way for us all to enjoy.

Well done, and many thanks.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2152 on: September 26, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Loverly to see it running...and if you made another one you could play  Noughts and Crosses  on the driveway !!! So What is next ??

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2153 on: September 26, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »
Loverly to see it running...and if you made another one you could play  Noughts and Crosses  on the driveway !!! So What is next ??
Well, here goes a second attempt at adding this reply - the first time it said my photo (700x500 pixels) was too large, when hit Back my text was all gone! GRRR!

Anyway, thanks all for the comments - its been a really fun build, still need to make the display base which will have rubber faced robot treads under the hauler's tracks to allow the engine to run while running indoors on air.

Next project is a model of the Marion 91 steam shovel (sorry Zee, the Stanley Steam car project is going to be after this one) sitting outside a quarry near here that I have taken photos of the outside of, and have some photos of the inside taken when it was put up for national landmark status, plus I got a copy of the digital laser scan that was done inside/outside (from a dozen locations) that I can get measurements of parts from. In another month a team from SteamTown in Pennsylvania is coming up to do a condition report on it, looks like I will be able to tag along and get my own detail photos on the insides then. So far I've started getting measurements out and have the main frame rails done up in Fusion.
Below is a photo of what the shovel looks like. It sits on tracks rather than the original railroad wheel trucks. It was converted using a 'kit' from Marion - the front tracks power it, the rear ones steer it. There is a 4th steam engine that was added to steer the tracks.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2154 on: September 27, 2017, 12:01:46 AM »
Should be another great project Chris!. Not sure why your picture exceeded the limit. Maybe the .jpg quality was set too high which increases the resulting file size.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2155 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:58 AM »
Should be another great project Chris!. Not sure why your picture exceeded the limit. Maybe the .jpg quality was set too high which increases the resulting file size.

Bill
Yeah, I think it was just a few bytes over, I usually set the default quality pretty high. Its really annoying that after it gives that error, hitting the back button on the page takes it back without remembering the text! Usually I copy the post first, but since the site has been running smoothly lately I got out of the habit.
I only attached it rather than putting up on the photo host site (PostImage) was that they were doing maintenance and not accepting new posts temporarily.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2156 on: September 27, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
Chris, unless it is a really short post (that I can remember) I still usually copy before hitting the send button. The site has been working smoothly lately, there can still be the random glitch at times. Also once we are all used to the new size limit its easy enough to check the file size before attaching to help avoid problems.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2157 on: September 27, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
Chris that is one bad ass machine Dog and glad I could watch it all come together and see it completed. Awesome results man and your skills are awesome..... :praise2: :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2158 on: September 30, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Chris that is one bad ass machine Dog and glad I could watch it all come together and see it completed. Awesome results man and your skills are awesome..... :praise2: :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don
Thank you Don, been great having you along for the ride!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2159 on: September 30, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »
Last thing to be made is the display stand, for use in running on compressed air at shows and home for demonstrations on table-top. The base holds a pair of robot-style track assemblies with rubber treads over a hard plastic plate, with the sprockets bolted to a pair of shafts so that the tracks run together without the differential letting one or the other stop.
Here is the base so far:

The two blocks in the middle hold the front and rear axles so that it cannot take off on me (will have a safety strap around the frame too). Once the glue is set on the blocks, I am going to put a layer of Bondo putty on the top of the wood surface, with depressions for the skids and the tracks, that will get painted to look like a snow/ice surface, like the roads these ran on in the winter time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:12:27 AM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal