Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 428618 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2100 on: September 18, 2017, 01:52:52 AM »
That is the one, don't try reading it after a full day.
Here is another link to more if you get bored,
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Technical-Documents.aspx
Gerald.
Excellent, thanks!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2101 on: September 18, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
Well, its all good at the moment, holding pressure again. Just put on a coat of paint, when that's dry it can get reassembled and another steam trial. Really hope it holds now!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2102 on: September 19, 2017, 09:01:07 PM »
Busy couple of days, not much shop time, but I did get the boiler back in place and the forward pipes reconnected to the engines. Hope to have the rest back together sometime tomorrow for a new steamup.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2103 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »
Fingers crossed that all will be well Chris. You must be ready to get on with the shovel you want to do.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2104 on: September 19, 2017, 11:35:43 PM »
Hi Chris,

Found this link about the Marion Steam Shovel Co. They say there are some line drawings available and thought this might be of some interest to you.

http://www.cabincreekcds.com/marion.htm

Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2105 on: September 20, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
Fingers crossed that all will be well Chris. You must be ready to get on with the shovel you want to do.

Tom
Thanks To ! I've gotten in a few good runs out in the driveway, which has been great, the tracks and chains working really well. Its been the nagging little leaks that have been frustrating, and have been hoping to get it running better for the next Maine trip.
I was out most of today, did get a few more parts back in place, should be able to run it tomorrow sometime, hope its better!
I have had a little time to look through the Marion laser scan data, awesome stuff for laying out the main components accurately but still hoping to get inside the real one in person to see the smaller details of things like the clutch bands and the control linkages. Looks like that will happen in another month or so. I can start on the 3d model with what I have, pics, scans, and patent documents.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2106 on: September 20, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »
Hi Chris,

Found this link about the Marion Steam Shovel Co. They say there are some line drawings available and thought this might be of some interest to you.

http://www.cabincreekcds.com/marion.htm

Thomas
I have seen that site, that catalog seems to have more on the smaller units. I found a guy on ebay who sells a cd copy of the 1916 catalog, which is a larger one , 138 pages, includes a lot of details on the model 92,very similar to the one here, a 91. Also bought a print copy of the Willamette catalog from him, incredible details there too. He is at GhostTownModels.com, bunch of great stuff there!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2107 on: September 20, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »
Oh, and just realized that I had not put up any of the pics from the submarine meet last weekend, part of my excuse for taking time off from the shop and the Lombard (needed a break!). This was our summer-end run and picnic, included the local gang plus a bunch from out of town too, Canada included.
To start, here is a picture of my Alfa submarine taken from the camera on the bow of another guys sub, when my sub was being eaten by the local SeaWeed Monster - apparently we missed one when we cleared the end of the pond last week (most died off when the nights turned cold, this one apparently was a tough old one, it wrapped a tendril around my prop and would not let go till we beat on it with a rake).

And a bunch of general shots from the day:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:15:52 AM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2108 on: September 20, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
Alas, no run today, taking longer than I expected to reassemble the manifold and pipes, taking my time to clean the parts well, and get good coverage on the thread sealant (along with a long lunch with some past co-workers). All the backhead parts are on, going to get the insulation on tonight and let the sealant set up overnight, then  do an air test tomorrow morning and get ready for a run if all is good.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2109 on: September 20, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
Great pictures of the sub meet. Thanks for posting those Chris.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2110 on: September 21, 2017, 07:17:04 PM »
All right! The leaks seam to be cured finally!

:whoohoo:

It came up to pressure much faster (about 12 to 15 minutes to 60 psi from cold start), where before it would never get past about 40. Self starts and run at a lower pressure too.

The one minor nit, about 20 seconds into the run, something jammed up in the left side track's roller chain, which keeps stopping the track. Annoying, but this should be easy to find and fix, it has been running freely up till now (may just turn out to be a 1:12th scale pebble in the link!). It is back on the bench cooling off again, will track (get it, track?!) it down once it is cool and try again.

Anyway, here is a video of it it taking off, stops when the jam happened. After some fiddling, got it freed again, then it did the same thing. Can't tell till I get it up on the lift  :Lol: but something in the left side track chain is jamming up.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnysT4dBlJU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnysT4dBlJU</a>

EDIT: Bet I know what the jam is - one of the shop elves probably dropped some chocolate chip cookie crumbs down into the links! 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:36:11 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2111 on: September 21, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
Congratulations Chris!!  Just hope the cookie crumb is easy to find and fix :)

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2112 on: September 21, 2017, 09:16:12 PM »
Congratulations Chris!!  Just hope the cookie crumb is easy to find and fix :)

Bill

Well, not a cookie crumb, but it looks like a lazy shop elf (or lazy big furry elf anyway  :Lol: ) is to blame. With the boiler and pipes cooled off so I didn't burn my knuckles (done that enough in the past) I put the rear frame up on the lift (okay, okay, a block of wood) and turned the chains and tracks by hand. Quickly narrowed it down to the roller chain on the outside of the left side track.
The roller chains, the ones that act as linear roller bearings between the tracks and the frame, turn a fairly tight bend at either end of their travel. This means that there cannot be much length of the side links extending beyond the pivot pin hole, or the excess material will project beyond the diameter of the roller, and jam against the track as it comes around. This one chain does have some links that did not get their ends rounded off properly, so they stick out.
Not sure why it ran okay for a while and then started jamming, maybe the sprocket shifted slightly, it would not take much. It is an easy fix (for once!) to do, just needs a little time with the 1" belt sander, holding the chain around a finger and touching each end to the sander lightly to knock off the corners one by one. I had done that on the chains early on, but must have gotten tired or bored by the end of this chain and didn't do a good job on it.
Other good thing is that it is easy to remove these chains for working on them, just unscrew the guides at either end and the sprockets and chain come right off. It will have to wait for later tonight or tomorrow morning though, I have a shoot this evening that I have to get ready for.
So, should be able to try another steamup in the morning! The weather this week has been remarkably clear and warm for this time of year, sunny and in the 80's every day, going to be up to 90 by Monday. The hurricanes off the Atlantic coast have stalled a high pressure system over New England, so the weather has been more like the middle of summer than mid-fall. I like it!
 :cheers:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2113 on: September 21, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »
Boy that thing scoots on now, looking good.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2114 on: September 21, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
Doing the ends of the chain links would be like sharpening a saw by hand, very easy to miss one.
Looks great running.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal