Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 429250 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #2040 on: September 07, 2017, 02:05:04 AM »
Train them to throw the shells in the boiler! , HOW DARE THEY SPILL NECTAR OF THE GODS! Threaten to with hold cookies if they don't get there act together!

Going to be interesting to see how much difference the new burner makes

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2041 on: September 07, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Use to consume his books as fast as I could get my hands on them, haven't read one in years!

Me too. Now I'm thinking it's been enough years I've forgotten the stories. Time to re-read!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2042 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:14 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Use to consume his books as fast as I could get my hands on them, haven't read one in years!

Me too. Now I'm thinking it's been enough years I've forgotten the stories. Time to re-read!
I had re-read several of them earlier in the year, many quite good ones.

Offline kvom

« Reply #2043 on: September 07, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
'Stranger in a Strange Land' is my favorite Heinlein.

simplyloco

« Reply #2044 on: September 07, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »

Me too. I read it when just a lad, and I couldn't help thinking at the time that the main character was Jesus reincarnate!
John

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2045 on: September 09, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and "Starship Troopers" both for the mechanical aspects, of the later ones "Friday"
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2046 on: September 10, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »
Not much to update on the build - the new burner is on the way, really looking forward to how that changes the behavior of the boiler.

On other projects/fun recently:
 - I connected up with the man who did a digital laser scan of the Marion steam shovel near here, and he kindly gave me a copy of the scan results. That means that I can go through and take direct measurements of the visible features to use in generating my 3D model and plans - this is going to be a huge help! Combined with the photos I took and the ones from the historical society, plus the information in the 1916 Marion catalog, I should be able to make a detailed model. Sorry Zee, the Stanley build is looking farther away...  Also found out about a dipper dredge that they used to widen the Erie Canal to the Barge Canal decades ago that is sitting in drydock in the next county - it is a Bucyrus steam shovel that is mounted on a barge, looks complete with two buckets, the state canal corporation owns it, tracking down who to contact about seeing that one too.
- The larger Grizzly mill that I picked up from a friends estate is waiting for some updates to the bench it is sitting on, needs a sturdier tabletop and having that bolted to the wall behind it to stabilize it.
- Good progress on the carousel horse that I am finishing up for a friend, neck line is repitched, legs are on, tail is made, just needs some sanding and a coat of primer to find any more spots that need filler, then can start on the head.
- Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a flight on the B-17 Aluminum Overcast that the EAA takes around the country. What an absolute blast! Started with a ground tour, talks with pilots and crew, helped turn props over to clear the oil out of the lower cylinders, then off for a flight of almost an hour. Once in the air thy let you go all around the cabin, cockpit, up in the nose section - took lots of photos and videos, will post some when I get them organized.
- Got our RC group's last outing at the pond coming up this next week, looks like we have quite a few coming in from the out of town clubs too.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2047 on: September 10, 2017, 01:35:25 AM »
Sounds like a fun few day Chris. Looking forward to seeing the B-17 pics!!!!

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2048 on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »
The new burner arrived today, going to get it installed tonight and should be testing it tomorrow morning, stay tuned!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2049 on: September 11, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »
Didn't somebody say something about B-17 pics :) 

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2050 on: September 11, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
Didn't somebody say something about B-17 pics :) 

Bill
Yup, I got the video clips assembled but need to edit it and get it uploaded, and pick out the best photos. Been over at my mother's house, getting her out for lunch, walks, and stores. Should have pics later today!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2051 on: September 11, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
No problem Chris, I was just giving you a hard time :)

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2052 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:26 AM »
The chief shop-elf-photographer has finally made it out of the darkroom, and gotten me the photos and video of the B-17 flight on Friday.

Here is a link to a photo gallery of some of the pics. In the group shot I am the one in the blue jacket second from the left. In the last shot we are walking the props around to clear the oil out of the cylinders before they loaded us up and started the engines.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/y8jed2s4/

And a compilation of some the video I shot along the flight, starting with the engines firing up one by one (from my vantage point in the radio room), then moving around the plane during the flight and finishing up with the landing as seen from the other side window of the radio room. After takeoff they allow you to roam around the plane, everywhere except inside the ball turret and into the tail gunners position (they have a maniken back there in full flight gear).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YYD57s-ZGk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YYD57s-ZGk</a>

One of my uncles was a navigator on a B-17 during the war, was shot down over the Battle of the Bulge on his 14th mission, so this was a great way to get a slightly better feel for what he went through (with MUCH less risk!). Also on this flight was a 92 year old gentleman (and his son) who flew on B-17's and also B-24's back then. It was a wonderful group!

The EAA tours with this plane (the Aluminum Overcast) as well as a couple of Ford Trimotor's and sell flights to raise money for aircraft restoration. This particular plane never saw combat, was made right at the end of the war and didn't make it over there before it all ended. They have it in wonderful condition, just about all the equipment is there - only thing missing I could tell was the remote turret innards for the upper dome turret - they probably kept that out to give more walking room in the back of the cockpit. Just a wonderful opportunity!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:18:07 AM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2053 on: September 12, 2017, 01:30:12 AM »
Fantastic Chris. What a unique opportunity too. Thanks so much for posting the pics and especially the video.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2054 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
8)

At first I thought I hope that is not live ammo they have on display there, then I realised where she is… I sure hope they have made sure that the safety cannot be disengaged if one of the passengers gets overly enthusiastic  ;).

Jo

P.S. Just been reminded why I hate image hosting sites  :ShakeHead:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal