Author Topic: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine  (Read 443961 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Build of a Lombard Hauler Engine
« Reply #1920 on: August 20, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »
You need a hobby Chris.

:lolb:
Seventeen hobbies really isn't enough, is it?!
 :Lol:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1921 on: August 21, 2017, 12:33:11 AM »
You need a hobby Chris.

:lolb:
Seventeen hobbies really isn't enough, is it?!
 :Lol:

Uh oh...this could get into a 'list your hobbies thread'. A good idea on one side for those looking for a hobby.
A bad idea for those who have a hobby (or more) and don't need the distraction of another.  ;D

I seem to never finish anything.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1922 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
That is just pretty cool Chris!  Love the flying sub!
Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1923 on: August 21, 2017, 11:48:38 AM »
Hi Chris,
 That brings back OLD  :old: memory's, Now you just need to get it to fly!

Just see we are going to get Sea Quest re-runs......you got one of those tucked away?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1924 on: August 21, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
A tight fit in there, but an interesting idea.

A silly question, but did you make those water tight chambers for the equipment in the sub?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1925 on: August 21, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
Hi Chris,
 That brings back OLD  :old: memory's, Now you just need to get it to fly!

Just see we are going to get Sea Quest re-runs......you got one of those tucked away?

Cheers Kerrin
I do have one of the big SeaView kits from the anniversary sale Moebius had a year or two ago, don't have a Sea Quest sub. That was a more organic shape as I recall? The next boat project is going to be a Green Sea Turtle, with articulated flippers and head, will be carving up the wood masters then making moulds from that to cast hull in fiberglass and flippers and head in rubber. That will be this winter.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1926 on: August 21, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
A tight fit in there, but an interesting idea.

A silly question, but did you make those water tight chambers for the equipment in the sub?

Tom
Yes, the WTCs are made from 2" polycarbonate tube and sheet for the endcaps, silicone sheet gaskets, and with brass threaded inserts (cross pinned at the bottom) to take the screws. The through hull fittings for the control rods and drive shaft were made from 303 stainless hex, and have viton o ring seals.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1927 on: August 21, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Only seen the shorts so far, cant remember back when it was on, but yes it does look a bit organic.

Look forward to the pictures of the turtle!

Cheers Kerrin

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1928 on: August 21, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Only seen the shorts so far, cant remember back when it was on, but yes it does look a bit organic.

Look forward to the pictures of the turtle!

Cheers Kerrin
I remember watching the show when it first came out, you should enjoy it. Sort of a Star trek ith dolphins and subs!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1929 on: August 21, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »
This morning I got the poker burner, gas regulator, and butane tank installed. The tank is a Regner small tank model 50841, burner is a Roundhouse GBI, and the gas regulator is the Roundhouse REGG. That combination has worked well on my Gauge-1 locos, hope it works as well here too - this boiler is a bit larger, but that burner has been way more than adequate for the smaller G1 boilers.

I made up a simple adapter for the burner to fit the fire tube, just a stepped ring that fits over the burner tube and inside the fire tube.
The joints for the butane pipes are all Regner's union fittings, silver soldered onto the copper tube, and sealed with Permatex high temp sealant for good measure.

While the sealant is setting, I am working out how/where to mount the RC equipment.
Current plan: Mount the receiver (2.4ghz) and its battery in the woodbox. There will be a servo to control the throttle mounted to the cab floor, and maybe one for the whistle if I can find a good place to mount it. For the steering, things are a little more complex since the steering wheel has a large gear reduction down to the axle. I have a PQ-12 100:1 RC linear actuator from Actuonix with a 20mm throw that I am planning to mount inside the frame rail in front of the engine, connected to the middle of the front axle assembly. This actuator has a very large force so it can handle the effort needed, and is quite small so it will fit inside the frame rail. I think I will make a spring loaded connection to cushion any shock loads from hitting bumps. The gearing back up to the steering wheel moves freely enough that I can turn the axle by hand, and it spins the gears to the steering wheel, so that should take care of itself.

While I could steam it up now and run it (assuming no plumbing problems), without the RC steering in place I would be chasing it around, trying to turn the steering wheel as the model moves - not really a good option! So, will wait till the RC gear is all in and then try it all at once, hopefully sometime this week. Stay tuned!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:59:26 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1930 on: August 21, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
I am just amazed at how much work and effort you have put into this project Chris. Some truly amazing work to watch come together. Dog you are a true craftsman and you have a great vision as to what's next to accomplish. Love watching this project turn into a work of art. Still with you Dog and did I say .....I.........like........ :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1931 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Got the linear actuator servo installed for the steering - made up a block to hold the back end to the inside of the frame rail, and a clamp to go around the front axle assembly. Works pretty well, should do the job. The photo shows it with the wheels installed, they will be used for the trial run on the driveway, hopefully in a day or two.

Paint is drying on those parts, and the wood frame to hold the servos for the throttle and whistle is also glued up and painted. Next time I'll get that installed, and the servos/radio all hooked up...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:59:32 PM by crueby »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1932 on: August 23, 2017, 01:32:49 AM »
Well, this evening I got the rest of the radio installed and working, so now it has steering, throttle, and whistle. No woodpile to cover the radio and fuel tank, but I can run the woodbox sides up to obscure them in the meantime. Tomorrow may be the day to give a try at steaming it up - first half of the day is going to be taken up with some big furry elves birthday (guess who!  8) ), later in the afternoon I may get a chance to fire it up and watch it go. If not tomorrow then the next day.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of it all set and ready to go (also want to get some good portraits of it outside in the sunshine, the newer LED bulbs in the shop are great for work but a bit harsh for good camera work).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:59:37 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1933 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:12 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Looking fantastic!
Nice to see the ruler etc to get an idea of size. Fingers crossed for a successful steam test, oh & the video!

Cheers Kerrin

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1934 on: August 23, 2017, 05:09:13 AM »
That really looks great, Chris!
I'll bet you're exited to give her the first steam-up!   And if you're not, there's a whole bunch of us who are!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Lets see it go!

And you won't forget the video, right? :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal