Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 20908 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
Hello Kim,

OK I am also in line to see the ship photos ;D

Have a great day,
Thomas

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #391 on: July 17, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
Well, since you asked, I'll post a few picsÖ My efforts in the model ship world are nothing compared to Chris, and Mikeís, and Iím sure many others.  I played around for a few years, completed one model and made it a good way into another.  Very modest work by comparison.

The first one was a Mississippi sternwheeler.  Not overly prototypical, but it was a fun, engaging project and got me into the hobby.

The next one I did was the HMS Surprise. It started as a kit but evolved significantly from there.  Itís plank-on-bulkhead construction and I learned a lot in the process. I painted and covered below the waterline with copper plates.  This is what I did the clear coat on.

Hereís the lower deck with completed chain pumps.

I was making the cannons for the main gun deck.  I didnít like the ones that came with the kit, so I made my own.  Made 22 brass cannons and blackened them.  These were going to go on the lower deck before I put the upper deck in place.

But I had so much fun making the cannons it diverted me into building a little steam engine. Then that became another, and on we went.  I havenít gotten back to completing the ship yet.  Likely will someday.  When the mood strikes.

Oh, and thereís one more model ship I built.  This one is a pirate ship I built with my daughter. She was about 5 at the time. Itís her paint scheme.  But this one, at least, has been completed!

So, thatís my foray into model ships.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #392 on: July 17, 2019, 04:37:17 PM »
Thanks for showing those Kim. Funny how one hobby can lead into others isn't it?

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #393 on: July 17, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing those!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
Great looking ships Kim! Your cannon in particular look superb. as does the "Surprise" hull. Have you read the Patrick O'Brien books? 'HMS Surprise' is one of his best.

Got some projects like the pirate ship on the go with my 5 and 10 yr old nieces. Great to do some shop work with kids, whatever form it takes! The 5 yr old loves to do "carpentry" with rigid styrene foam (cutting, shaping, nailing, gluing it). When she progresses to working wood there will be no stopping her! Her older sister is doing some simple metal work in steel and aluminum and does very well. 

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2019, 05:13:28 AM »
Yes, I've read many of the Patric O'Brien books.  That was, of course, part of the inspiration for me tackling that model.  I was already committed and partway into it when I learned that the Surprise in the books isn't exactly the Surprise from real life. There were some similarities, but not the same.  I chose to model the HMS Surprise from the books, which, interestingly enough, gave me a lot of source material :)

But it's been long enough now I'd have to re-do my research.  I used to know exactly how many of what guns were on each deck and all that sort of nonsense.  It's surprising (no pun intended) how much you can forget when you stop thinking about something for 7 years!  :embarassed:

And it's great to do projects with the kids.  It's fun to just see where their imaginations take them.

But it was all fun!
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
Nice ship models Kim.  :ThumbsUp: You are certainly not alone in the "unfinished model" arena.  :facepalm:

As far as: "It's surprising (no pun intended) how much you can forget when you stop thinking about something for 7 years!" That's no big deal. What worries me is how much I forget when I stop thinking about something for 7 MINUTES.  :facepalm:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »
What worries me is how much I forget when I stop thinking about something for 7 MINUTES.

Almost spilled my tea laughing.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
Hello Kim,

Thanks for showing the ship photos. You must finish that Pirate Ship and I love the paddle wheeler.

Have a great day,
Thomas