Author Topic: AL320G Lathe Stand  (Read 8355 times)

Offline Joco

Re: AL320G Lathe Stand
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
Got the last of the bits welded on the stand today and managed to get it all primed up ready for the black enamel paint to go on this week. Still need to get all the feet turned up into a nice circle.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
And painted.  Now to sort out the remaining feet!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:47:34 PM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 12:45:28 AM »
That just looks downright professional James. Any lathe would be right proud to be mounted on that stand!!  Well done  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Joco

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 09:55:45 AM »
Cheers Bill.

Got another foot rounded out tonight.  2 down, 2 to go.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »
Got all the feet turned now off to pararubber in the weekend to get some thin solid rubber to act as a vibration buffer.

Now I HAVE to make space. I foresee a big clean and a full trailer of crap to dump this weekend.
James
Wellington - NZ

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
... and a full trailer of crap to dump this weekend.

Don't get rid of anything potentially useful: you will only need it the day after you throw it out  :facepalm:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Joco

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 04:33:18 AM »
... and a full trailer of crap to dump this weekend.

Don't get rid of anything potentially useful: you will only need it the day after you throw it out  :facepalm:.

Jo

as much as I would like to horde as much as possible I need to make some tough calls.   As Bruce will attest my garage is a little bit full.   :embarassed:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »

as much as I would like to horde as much as possible I need to make some tough calls.   As Bruce will attest my garage is a little bit full.   :embarassed:

You haven't seen mine yet James ....

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »

James, I have to agree with Murray. Your's is nothing compared to his.

He has loads of crap!!!

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Joco

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »

James, I have to agree with Murray. Your's is nothing compared to his.

He has loads of crap!!!

Bruce

:ROFL:  Well I still have to sort out my more limited crap.  I have a daughter demanding I finish her desk which I can't do since I can't get at the tablesaw and wife demanding I let her car back in the garage. Oh making room for lathe stand.

But nice to know I'm not worst.    :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:40:29 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 03:08:11 AM »
Well its done with and with a huge amount of help from Bruce  :praise2: I have the AL320G installed on the stand.

I have 3mm thick solid rubber pads under the feet to isolate vibrations and everything has been levelled to a reasonable degree. At some point I will run Rollie's Dad's method to see how good things are and adjust accordingly.
http://neme-s.org/Rollie's_Dad's_Method.pdf

I have done some test cuts on some scrap round stock. The HSS in my Diamond holder is cutting like a hot knife through butter. Lovely curled swarf coming off with a nice clean finish.  :ThumbsUp:

Set my self a target of 12mm diameter with a starting size of 12.60mm. So set my cut by the dial to 0.6mm (so on the chinese lathes that setting the dial to a 0.3 mm as its all in radius not diameter -- I'm learning!) and managed to get to 12.01 as read off the digital callipers. I'll take that as a win!
 :whoohoo:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
A fun morning and great team effort  :cheers:

So jealous now - roll on April/May 2017

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 08:04:59 AM »
8) Well done James,

Are you going to add a couple of wooden shelves on the stand so that you can hoard store the lathe chucks and other tooling there  :)

And it looks like a nice piece of rubber is called for on top of the headstock before you discover it is a great place to store the smaller tools and scratch up the pristine paint work ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Joco

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
Jo - the game plan is to keep improving the stand. I just didn't want to wait for more and more weeks before getting things in place.

So the next things that will get worked on are:
[1] Shelf for the very bottom.  Plan is to use plywood (probably 12mm). That will be strong, not too expensive.  Probably will polyurethane it so there won't be any colour to get chipped.

[2] The upper spans will support cupboards. To be nice and strong that will be all made from 18mm construction grade plywood.  Still trying to decide on painting versus polyurethane.

[3] Temporary wheel fixtures to allow moving the stand around the garage.

But FIRST I need to complete my welding cart.  Got the wheels on it, now I need to test fit the gas cylinder to make sure the balance is going to work.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal