Author Topic: Chris' MEM Corliss Twin Build is complete  (Read 6910 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Chris' MEM Corliss Twin Build is complete
« on: October 17, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
My build of the MEM Corliss engine as a twin-cylinder version (with barring engine too) is now complete! This version has a pair of built-up engine blocks since my Sherline lathe/mill could not turn the blocks as one go, but they are the original size from the plans. The engine is all stainless steel, brass, and bronze (and a little copper tubing). The barring engine is geared into the flywheel to turn it over for maintenance purposes. There is a full build thread over in the Engines section of this forum.

So, here is a video of it all running, starting with the barring engine turning it over nice and slow, then the main engine running:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbtWV-0DV20" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbtWV-0DV20</a>

And a selection of photos showing it all, starting with a shot of it next to the lathe and mill for scale:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:51:13 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris' MEM Corliss Twin Build is complete
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
Just awesome Chris and a built to be proud of. Damm ......I........like......../ :Love:

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:52:33 PM »
That is just an incredible build Chris!  :praise2: And not only does it look fantastic, it runs great as well! I really like the balance of brass, stainless, wood, and paint.

I'm sure the picture of it between your lathe and mill is going to get some comments like "You built that ............with those"!  :lolb: I'm impressed with how far you've stretched the limits of the Sherlines and then figured out work-arounds when needed.

Being somewhat new to MEM I've come into a lot of build threads, for these involved projects, part way through. This one I was able to see develop right from the start. And just like a really good book, I've sure I'll be reading your thread again.

Looking forward to the start of your "Lombard Hauler".

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:05:11 AM »
Very nice Chris!

You have done an amazing job on the engines and display; certainly something to be very proud of.
Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Dave

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:06:10 AM »
Thanks guys! All the support, tips, encouragement, heckling, etc really helped along the way.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 02:28:38 AM »
Chris:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I really enjoyed following along, and your end result is simply great!

Joe

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:23 AM »
It's all been pretty much said Chris, but I could listen to just the sound for hours. Well done in every way.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:27 AM »
 8) Very nice Chris.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:42:27 AM »
That's fantastic.  :ThumbsUp: :)

Nick

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
Thanks for the journey. Like Bill, I love the sound, and all the moving bits. Well Done.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »
Chris,
A truly outstanding build! What makes if more impressive is the size of the equipment used to construct it. My hat's off to you sir!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »
A masterful work of art and mechanics.  Beautifully conceived and executed.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »
Thanks to you all for your encouragement, tips, and humor through the build, it made the trip a lot of fun.

Next up will be a quick build of a riveting tool like Florian posted, gthen on to another biggie, a 30" long model of a Lombard Hauler with a butane fired boiler. Already started the research and accumulation of metal stock. Should be a great one to run out in the front yard.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 09:41:39 PM »
Great engine Chris

I can now see how you get through these builds so quick. Your workshop is lovely. It looks very cosy and warm unlike my garage  :thinking:

Can't wait to pull up a chair for the next build

Cheers

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 11:18:46 PM »
Great engine Chris

I can now see how you get through these builds so quick. Your workshop is lovely. It looks very cosy and warm unlike my garage  :thinking:

Cheers

Bruce

Oh yes, very nice to have the shop in the house, very warm here in some very cold winters, we average 100 to 160 inches of snow in a winter, fortunately intermixed with some thaws. The machine shop was originally the back bedroom on the ground floor. The upstairs (two large rooms) is my wood shop, the one side is big enough that I built a couple canoes and kayaks up there, the window out over the garage roof was big enough to take them out. The basement has the train layout plus my carving and woodburning stations. Garage does double duty as a boat shop for the really big boat builds (biggest was an 18' sailboat). Fun in all directions!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 03:26:34 AM »
Great engine Chris

Cheers

Bruce

Oh yes, very nice to have the shop in the house, very warm here in some very cold winters, we average 100 to 160 inches of snow in a winter, fortunately intermixed with some thaws. The machine shop was originally the back bedroom on the ground floor. The upstairs (two large rooms) is my wood shop, the one side is big enough that I built a couple canoes and kayaks up there, the window out over the garage roof was big enough to take them out. The basement has the train layout plus my carving and woodburning stations. Garage does double duty as a boat shop for the really big boat builds (biggest was an 18' sailboat). Fun in all directions!

Sounds like we need a work...SHOP'S tour sometime Chris.  :naughty:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I just have to say that this is a beautiful engine Chris.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us!
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 08:48:47 PM »
I'm a little late to the party, but I just have to say that this is a beautiful engine Chris.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us!
Kim

Thanks Kim!

Now I need to figure out how to hook it up to drive the lathe...   :Lol:

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 01:57:58 AM »
Great engine Chris

Cheers

Bruce

Now I am simply jealous   ::)

Do you have machines in your bedroom too? Whoops that is too far - Don't want to know  :thewhip: :paranoia:

Cheers

Bruce

‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline kvom

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »
Great build.  Loved the video.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
Wow... this is phenomenal work!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
Wow... this is phenomenal work!
Thanks Gary - that is a favorite of mine.

Offline kvom

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
A 2 cylinder barring engine!  Just noticed that.   :ThumbsUp:  Showoff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal