Author Topic: Some salvaged indexable turning tools  (Read 2836 times)

Offline mzt

Some salvaged indexable turning tools
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »

Some (the ones already into the holders) I milled down to fit the holders (an indexable mill was in order, that stuff is tough!)

And some were reduced in height only by milling the bottom (when I put them on the compound, they were already above the centerline)
to have a dovetail applied to their shanks.

Had some doubts about this setup for facing the dovetail to the correct thickness: it held.

The ideas I had about bolting the dovetails to the shanks were a no-go. As I said earlier, that material is tough!
The screws are holding only for a thread or two, and a portion of the tap is still in one of the holes.

The second DT was held in place for welding by three alu. rivets
Did not weld them myself: reliable joints were in order, here

Then, came this front-grooving/trepanning tool

I?ve not yet decided what to do with it and how: will probably make a parting tool by grinding away  the curved portion
of the lip supporting the insert. I won?t go too close to the chuck, but may do for stock held into collets.

This is not oversize, but was definitely cut too short! Had it welded to a 10x10 HSS bar.
Pity it is a LH tool, so it?s not gonna get much use.

Marcello
This is a fitting job,
not a production job that can be measured in.

Offline mzt

Re: Some salvaged indexable turning tools
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
Once upon a time it was a trepanning tool

I finally made a parting tool of it, by milling the curved portion of the supporting lip till 0.1mm below the side of the insert,
then removing part of the shank so it fits into a toolholder.
Max depth of cut was 0.40mm when climb milling towards the head and 0.1mm when milling conventionally on the way back (reason of that,
I was running the tool back and forth on X keeping Y locked, and 0.1mm was the max depth I could plunge that mill).
I usually avoid the climb cuts, but on this occasion the machine did not complain, probably due the high spindle RPM and my furious
cranking on the wheels. The table was covered with blue chips, what was on the floor, nearby desktops and drawers I?ve left open
I?m trying to forget.

A test cut on a 14mm (hardened? It was a plunger from a door lock) steel bar: worked a treat (really, that was an
easy cut in spite of the 6mm wide insert) till I reached 1mm dia., when the insert chipped: they?re trepanning inserts,
with a fairly angled cutting lip, and they?re not supposed to cut to 0 dia. Not much of a problem: I will stop the partings
at three or four millimeters dia. and finish them by hacksawing.

Marcello
This is a fitting job,
not a production job that can be measured in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal