Author Topic: Fortis /calusing 100 series lathe  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Fortis64

Fortis /calusing 100 series lathe
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
Here are some Photos of my Fortis/Clausing lathe ,This was when i just picked it up from being delivered,lathe was filthy because the guy i bought it from sprayed it in oil before storing it. Didn't help the tailstock chuck it's still seized ,the chuck itself took a bit of freeing up as well but it's like new now ,the toolpost was also frozen but a wee bit of heat did the trick ,tried the same on tailstock chuck and soaked and boiled in diesel and i'm starting to get a little movement so i supposed you could say  i'm progressing regarding the TS chuck .

Feel free to having your say ,i'm here to learn folks . ;D

Sean 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:57:01 PM by Fortis64 »

Offline Adiabatic

Re: Fortis /calusing 100 series lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:57:55 AM »
Sean,I've recently agreed to restore one of these lathes. It will end up being used for light maintenance and repair work carried out by a local volunteer group. It was recently very nearly sent to the scrap man because the people who had originally assessed it's suitability as a viable machine had no real experience of machinery restoration and couldn't see the potential in it.

It is stripped down to component form but all parts are present and a quick scrape of the bed revealed it to be in reasonable condition. I may not get time to do any work on it until mid November but it needs to be completed no later than the beginning of March next year.

I'm really looking forward to bringing the old girl back to life........OZ.

Offline Adiabatic

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:14:42 AM »
Some useful info and photos available on Tony's lathes site.

Link: http://www.lathes.co.uk/fortis/

OZ.

Offline Fortis64

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:21:54 AM »
Sean,I've recently agreed to restore one of these lathes. It will end up being used for light maintenance and repair work carried out by a local volunteer group. It was recently very nearly sent to the scrap man because the people who had originally assessed it's suitability as a viable machine had no real experience of machinery restoration and couldn't see the potential in it.

It is stripped down to component form but all parts are present and a quick scrape of the bed revealed it to be in reasonable condition. I may not get time to do any work on it until mid November but it needs to be completed no later than the beginning of March next year.

Hi Oz , it's definitely a well constructed lathe , the bit of design I'm not keen on is the clutch and control for the cross carriage power feed .

Sean

Offline Fortis64

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »
Some useful info and photos available on Tony's lathes site.

Link: http://www.lathes.co.uk/fortis/

OZ.

Yeh that's a great place for information.

Sean

Offline Fortis64

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »

I stripped down most of the lathe , one thing I suggest you do is change the bearings in the threading gearbox ,there's two of them .

Sean

Offline Fortis64

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »
Hi,are gib screws a standard size can anyone tell me . They measure ... 5mm dia 22.7 mm long obviously they will be imperial . :)

Sean

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal