Author Topic: AOG' version of Elmer's number 9 twin horizontal wobbler  (Read 3062 times)

Offline AOG

AOG' version of Elmer's number 9 twin horizontal wobbler
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
It's time to get started on a new engine. I wanted to do something relatively simple that has some soldering required. So after consulting the great tome of Elmer, I picked this engine because of the frame construction method  (and because I haven't built one yet). 

Let's get started. I superglued the stock for the side pieces together and squared up the resulting block.

The part was laid out.

Then the required holes were drilled.

I was worried about the milling forces separating the parts so I elected to chain drill the cut out.

Then the waste was milled out.

That's when I realized that I had forgotten to drill and tap the mounting holes for the feet prior to milling out the waste. I took care of that next.

The parts were then heated and separated. Then the pieces were cleaned with acetone to remove the residue and put aside. The next part was the base. It was squared up and drilled.

Following that I squared up the port block and drilled the mounting holes. The intake and exhaust ports will be drilled later.

Then I assembled the frame in the method that Elmer described. First I tinned one side of all of the joints. Then I fluxed the other side and assembled the frame with the hardware loosely attached. To maintain the shaft alignment I put a rod though both bearing holes. The frame was heated and then the hardware was tightened.

After heating, the part was pickled for a few hours. All in all, it came out alright. I used too much solder in some areas but I'm getting better at this. While the part was pickling I turned up the locating button for the port fixture.

Then I took a piece of tool steel and made the fixture itself which is nothing more than a series of holes at the correct spacing.

I'll end this post with a picture of the frame after preliminary cleanup.

Till next time

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:08:11 AM by AOG »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: AOG' version of Elmer's number 9 twin horizontal wobbler
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »
Great start Tony. I actually had to look that one up. Not one of Elmers more popular designs but a nice one even so.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
Good point Bill I'll add a pic later on tonight.

Tony'

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:47:03 AM »
Looks good so far Tony.

This is going to be another fun build to watch.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AOG

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »
This update will be a long one. After hurricane Matthew came through I lost all communications for a while. Oddly enough, I had power and water through the whole thing and no real damage. With the plant shut down for a few days I had time to get lots done on this project. Let's get started. The next parts were the bearings. I started by drilling the holes undersized.

Then I turned the profile and parted off the parts.

Then I put them away. I will ream them to size once they are installed into the frames. Next up was the cylinders. I squared up the stock and then drilled and reamed the bores.

Then the parts were placed on their sides and the hole for the pivot pins drilled and counterbored.

Then both cylinders were placed in line on my adjustable angle block and the corners were milled off.

Next are the pivot pins. I decided to change Elmer's design here. Instead of a cross hole and wire pin I decided to thread the pins 3-48 for retention of the spring.

Next I soldered the pins into the cylinders. That turned into a bit of an ordeal. I just couldn't get them straight. When I did get them straight I realized I had overheated the pins and partially melted them. I remade the pins and round 2 went without a hitch. While the cylinders were pickling I used the fixture to mark out the valve holes on the frame assembly.

The valve ports were then drilled to depth.

Then I used the laser to transfer the port locations onto the end of the frame and drilled the intake and exhaust ports.

The next parts were the pistons. Elmer shows them made in one turning but I decided to fabricate them. I started the piston by drilling and reaming the hole for the piston rod.

Then I turned the oil groves and took the outer dimension to size.

Then the piston rod was turned to fit the piston.

Then the piston rod was placed in a collet block and the flat was milled and drilled for the crank pin.

The piston rods and pistons were set to length and locktited
together. Next up was the crank disks. The stock was drilled and reamed on the lathe and then placed in a collet block on the mill. I used the coaxial indicator to center the stock and then offset and drilled the crank pin holes.

The disks were parted off and then drilled and tapped for setscrews.

The crank pins were locktited in and those parts were done.  I then made the axel. The bar was placed in a collet block and then the required flats were milled into it.

That leaves us with this.

That was the original end of the post. Since I was unable to send it I will go into hurricane overtime. Next up is the flywheel. The stock was placed in the chuck faced, drilled and reamed.

Then a decorative groove was cut and the flywheel was parted off.

The part was flipped and the back side was cleaned up and grooved.

Next it was over to the mill to drill and tap for the set screw.

The flywheel was mounted on a mandrill and trued up.

Next the port holes in the cylinders were marked out and drilled using the jig.

Then I gave the frame a light polish and pressed in the bearings.  After the locktite had cured I reamed the bearings to size.

I then blued the flywheel and polished the cylinders. I started to assemble the model when I realized I need to order some hardware to complete the build. Next time you see this engine should be in the showcase.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »
Good progress Tony!  :ThumbsUp:

Glad to hear you dodged the worst of the hurricane.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 12:44:40 AM »
This went way too quick Tony. Looking forward to seeing the finished engine though. From whit I see so far it will be a nice end result.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
The hardware came in and I finished doing the fitting work and got it running. The hardest part was getting the nuts on the pivot pins with the springs installed. You can see the final product here:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6498.msg132893/topicseen.html#new

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 11:23:37 PM »
So what do you have planned for your next project Tony?  ;)

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »
So what do you have planned for your next project Tony?  ;)

Bill

It will be a Liney engine. It's between the Liney 5 radial wobbler or the RV-2 opposed 4. I'm not sure which yet. The RV-2 looks easer to fabricate except for the gears (which I have no intention of buying). The radial frame on the Liney 5 looks like a challenge to make on manual machines but the rest looks relatively straightforward.  I'm still studying both sets of plans but I will make a decision some time this week.

Tony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal