Author Topic: Seeking advice on electroplating  (Read 2294 times)

Offline loggerhogger

Seeking advice on electroplating
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
I have a few steam engines I have built over the years including the Cole's Corliss. I have noticed that I am getting the beginnings of rust on areas like the polished flywheel surfaces and other areas I sidnt want to paint. I have been looking at some of the home electroplating kits. I'm thinking of nickle plating these surfaces. Has anyone else done this? How about the effect on the existing paint? Any help is appreciated.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Seeking advice on electroplating
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:50:41 PM »
I use this from Micro Mark.  http://www.micromark.com/Plug-N-Plate-Nickel-Plating-Kit,8326.html It works great and I done an engine and sewing machine with it. It doesn't effect the paint but you need the surfaces well prepare before tinning.

Offline loggerhogger

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 05:01:54 PM »
Thanks Don. Nice job on the sewing machine. Was this a brush on plating kit or a dip tank? Did it have idiot proof instructions?

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »
It quiet easy logger just follower the instructions. I used plastic trays and emerged the parts in it and you use the wand which is connected to a power supply to pass over the part. The plating is slow but good results. It a cheap kit but did what I wanted...

Don

Offline loggerhogger

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »
Thanks Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal