Author Topic: Hi from South Yorkshire  (Read 3025 times)

Offline willhbrooker

Hi from South Yorkshire
« on: October 04, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Will. I am a 26 year old Aerospace Manufacturing Engineer from Sheffield.
I program 3-5 axis machine tools to create complex aerospace engine components.

My Grandpa was a Mechanical Engineer for all of his life working within the railway and marine sector. He lost his brave battle with dementia in 2003 (when i was 12-13).

At the weekend my granny handed me one of his prized possessions a Model Beam Engine built by a gentleman called H.J.Wood - Oxford street London. I've researched the name and he was a prominent model engine builder around 1880-1890.

The fact that every part of this model has been built by hand is truly outstanding. Since then i have been researching model engines and lets just say i'm becoming quite the fan!

I would like to do my Grandpa proud and get it cleaned up and restored.

Does anybody know of someone who could do this for me, i am a complete novice so any help and support would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my post.

Will (the latest model engine fan)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hi from South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
Nice historic engine Will.

I am trying to decide if by cleaning and polishing it, you may loose some of the history  :thinking:

I am sure there is nothing beyond your capabilities to take that engine apart and clean it yourself. Fairy Power Spray is as good as anything to clean with. Don may chip in with what to protect the Brass with if you are determined for those bits to be shiny.

Did your Grandpa leave any of his tools and bits that you could provide a loving home for?

Jo
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:35:50 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
I vote against taking this apart and cleaning it. It is historical and and it won't be the same blinged up. I don't think there's anything wrong with the way it looks now. Perhaps there are some very light cleaning methods that can be carefully used.

It sounds like you have the skills to measure this up and reproduce it if you want a shiny version. Or can plans be made from this for others to use?

ShopShoe

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
That is a beautiful engine and it is only original once. It appears to be in very nice condition and has a nice patina.

I would leave it just the way it is. except to carefully remove any dust and grime.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum Will. I also agree with the other comments, leave it as it is...it really is a beautiful engine!!

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »
Hi Will and welcome to the group.

Personally, I would leave it as it is.  Does it turn freely?  Did you try to run it?

Vince

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »
I will echo what the rest has said and leave it as is for the historic value..... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline willhbrooker

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »
Wow thank you to you all for taking the time to respond to my post and giving me advice.  The model turns very smoothly when rotated by hand. I think what I'm going to do is turn the model into a 3d model and technical drawing using software I have at work. I would happily post the final drawings on here if anyone is interested.
This maybe a new love of mine but this forum looks like exactly the place to build up the knowledge to create my own beam engine from scratch. 

Thank you guys. 

Offline willhbrooker

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »
Oh and I will not be doing anything to it. 
I will leave it in all its glory!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 11:03:23 PM »
Hi Will, relieved to see that last comment from you, the interesting old model is just fine with its attractive patina of history.   If you hanker for a similar model / project yourself at some time, the smaller of the Stuart beam engines would make a nice companion piece: and there are other beam engine models designed by Anthony Mount, Tubal Caine and others, castings available for them too  - you wouldn't need to design from scratch, unless that route especially appealed.

Cheers, Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 02:51:57 AM »
Will, what a wonderful gift from Grandma! I too am glad to see that your leaving the patina on it that it had gathered through the years...........just like Grandpa!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline willhbrooker

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
Hi Will, relieved to see that last comment from you, the interesting old model is just fine with its attractive patina of history.   If you hanker for a similar model / project yourself at some time, the smaller of the Stuart beam engines would make a nice companion piece: and there are other beam engine models designed by Anthony Mount, Tubal Caine and others, castings available for them too  - you wouldn't need to design from scratch, unless that route especially appealed.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will look those beam engine models up.  :atcomputer:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
Will, you may also like to have a look through Elmer's designs: http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html They are all made from barstock  ;).

If you are working with modern complex machine tools at work do they have a model shop? If so it may be worth going and having a chat with them, they may let you use their machine tools outside your work hours  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline willhbrooker

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »
Will, you may also like to have a look through Elmer's designs: http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html They are all made from barstock  ;).

If you are working with modern complex machine tools at work do they have a model shop? If so it may be worth going and having a chat with them, they may let you use their machine tools outside your work hours  :)

Jo

Hi Jo,

Perfect, Yes we have a machine shop / training area with all the necessary machine  tools.
I spent the first 3 years of my career (apprenticeship) on a Colchester Lathe, Shipman grinder, vertical milling machine etc.....
Its still a training area for new apprentices, i will take some photos of it today for you guys to see.

Like you suggested my aim is to use the manual machines out of hours to complete a project. Not sure what yet though!

Offline willhbrooker

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations for how i get the engine started?
Please bare in mind i'm a complete novice.

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal