Author Topic: Building The (VDH) Versatile Dividing Head  (Read 55481 times)

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
Re: Building The (VDH) Versatile Dividing Head
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
Beautiful job Don. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use and enjoyment out of that for many years to come.

Steve

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
Thanks Steve much appreciated. It did get a workout just building the accessories.

Don

Offline Cabbagestack

« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »
Don,
very nice job!!
I bought one of these kits about 2 years ago and am now getting it down off the shelf.
Did I miss it or did you show how you spotfaced the mounting holes that are beneath the casting projection on the main VDH body?

I'm wondering if I can take a right handed 5/8" HSS end mill (last 1" or so of the business end) and drill through the center (with a carbide drill) to use as the tool that George Thomas describes on page 212 of his book? I don't have any sort of a tool/cutter grinder.

the picture attached is what I have in mind. I think a right hand end mill works for this, looking at pg. 166 of the George Thomas book; of course I'd need a perpendicular set screw in the cutter as well as making a matching flat on the shank (none of which is shown - just a quick picture). But the general idea is captured there.

So Don & folks, do you think this will work?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:59:08 AM by Cabbagestack »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Cabbagestack I just found your post and sorry for not replying. I made my own cutter to spot face the casting using a rod and making the cutter to fit it using a grub screw. No I didn't show it on the thread. The cutter you show seems to look like it will work.

Regards Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal