Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Bodging with Boris........

<< < (2/15) > >>

Stilldrillin:

--- Quote from: Jo on September 29, 2016, 01:42:12 PM ---Hi David,

Please to hear you are feeling better  :cartwheel:

--- Quote from: Stilldrillin on September 29, 2016, 01:22:40 PM ---and now feel a new man!
--- End quote ---

Sometimes I think that I too would like to feel a new man  :mischief: but so far I have come to the conclusion that machine tools and castings sets are more reliable  :embarassed:

Jo

--- End quote ---

Hello Jo.
 You keep an eye open, for that new feelable man.  :naughty:
I've been told, reliable is overrated. Just, not exciting enough.......  :(

Stilldrillin:

--- Quote from: Ian S C on September 29, 2016, 02:35:51 PM ---David, I don't see how the displacer can operate connected to the crank the way it is. Does the vertical bolt with the acorn nut on top slide up and down in the L shaped  block on the crank, if so I would have thought there would be a lot of friction there.  I would be trying to loose a good bit of weight on the displacer linkage.  Also the displacer rod seems to be on the large side, but as long as the seal at the gland is OK, this should not cause any problem.
     The ratio between the displacer, and the power piston should be some where about 1.5 : 1, plus or minus a bit, a larger ratio will allow lower temperature.
     Minimum friction, no leaks, including the hollow displacer., and if it wont start remember that the displacer leads the power piston by 90*.
Ian S C

--- End quote ---

Ian.
 The displacer linkage is a scotch yoke, Giving slight dwell at, both ends of travel. Not much friction.
The displacer shaft is 6mm dia. About right, for the length of the assembly.
 The ratio, is 1.2/1. I have some 30mm dia graphite. Should make a 29mm dia piston. Also reducing stroke should give 1.9/1.

Awaiting tubing, bearings, 6" flywheel casting, inspiration etc.......

Stilldrillin:
Stew, Bill.
 Thanks for your replies. 

Updates and pics, as n when.  ;)

It's good to be back!  :)

David.

kev:
good news indeed, and you have me thinking about those statins myself now !

tvoght:
Good to see you back. I've  heard a lot of bad things about those statins, including significant short-term memory loss. Did you experience that?

That's an interesting way to implement a Scotch yoke. If you had not described it as such, I wouldn't have thought of it that way.

If you got the swept volume ratio to 1.9, I bet the engine would have a very sweet disposition!

--Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version