Author Topic: Another Simplex Refurbishment  (Read 57402 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: Another Simplex Refurbishment
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
Dave

When I'm running again I'll have to have a ferret about and see if I can find any clinkers.

Pete

(I sense that this could now regress into schoolboy jokes...............)
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
Ohhhh No......No No....

Ain't goin there!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
When I was ordering the grate from Blackgates I saw they also stocked the Southworth vertical steam pumps. One of these has been on my project bucket list for a while. I went for the 3" because the 6" would be too large for a loco this size. If it was too small it could always go on the Rob Roy. Anyway for 28quid it wasn't going to break the bank.

Ordered on the  8 July, delivered to me in NZ in about a week later and finished a week ago. As Stew had done a good write up over here
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,4763.0.html  there wasn't much point in doing another one. But I have added a few points to Stews thread to help others.

and running, 20psi in and 60-70 psi out (and with leaks). The 1/2" steam piston and 1/4" water pump ram gives a theoretical gain of 4

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TODmf6JJU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TODmf6JJU</a>

I had identified some drawing errors and found Bob Potter, who is now the proprietor of Southworth, is a member of this forum so I've been in touch with him. The 3" pump does seem a tad small for a 5" gauge loco  so I was toying with the idea of making a scaled down version of the 6" pump.

To cut a long story short; my intention to take the Simplex out to the track this weekend to try out the new grate was thwarted by heavy rain. So what else do you do on a wet Sunday? Install the pump....

I had it running on air this evening with water in the tanks it was capably filling the sight glass. With the boiler full and the regulator shut and the pump ticking over I got it to a hydraulic pressure of 30psi. It would have done more if I'd let it.

With a single acting pump and about a 2cc displacement it not going to get me out of trouble. But with the hand pump, axle pump and injector it's only there for show topping up when stationary for long periods.

If you want to try your hand a clock making this pump has enough little parts to make it an interesting build. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it.

(BTW all that 'rust' on the saddle and smokebox is copperease grease from when I had the boiler out)

Pete

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:28:31 AM by doubletop »
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
That looks good pete and sounds promising. I've always liked the idea of these but have never seen one in action at least not in our club.

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
Nick

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it this weekend and get a video. I've seen locos with Westinghouse pumps and the gentle pumping action and the hiss of steam every stroke is quite mesmerising. Hopefully this Weir pump will be similar. Apparently Weir pumps do have a tendency to short stroke. This one only seems to do it if too much oil is applied through the airline. I think it must affect the way the shuttle functions. Lets hope it will be a bit different on steam and the displacement lubricator.

I had another play tonight doing a hydraulic test and with 30psi air pressure into the pump and the pump ticking over I had it holding the boiler at 90psi water pressure with one of the safety's just weeping. The principle reason for the test was to take the opportunity to check for any minor leaks in the pipework disturbed  after having the boiler out. Having the pump running like that saves constantly tending the hand pump to maintain the pressure when doing the test as even a pretty small leak will dump the pressure pretty quickly.

Pete

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »
I can imagine them being quite nice to watch.  :ThumbsUp:

Sounds like it's performing well then.

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
Well the lack of an update means that the track test last week wasn't that sucessfull. the thing would just stop for no reason and vent straight to the exhaust. I spent a bit of time this week tracking down the problem to the valve lifting and remedying the problem. I've posted the details on Stews old thread to keep the information together for others.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,4763.msg97752.html#msg97752

Now it behaves itself

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp00MhFsAsM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp00MhFsAsM</a>

I had it at the track today and it was ticking away happily to itself all afternoon and was adequately pumping water when I upped the pace

regards

Pete
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:44:28 AM by doubletop »

Offline Mr Moo

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2018, 08:18:23 PM »
Just bookmarking this so I can find it again !

Very nice work :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal