Author Topic: 2016 Midlands Show  (Read 13629 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: 2016 Midlands Show
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
Yes that does look like a DX roller behind the double Tangye

and Dave beat me to Toylaner

ChuckKey

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »
Jason,
Thanks for the video of the Midlands show. Just out of curiosity for those of us in the Colonies. Is the green on the trains the predecessor to British racing green?
Art
There was a huge variety of different greens (and many other colours) used for painting british locomotives, but after nationalisation in 1948, they eventually settled on 'Brunswick green'.  This is similar to, but not quite the same as, the bronze green used earlier by the Great Western, which in turn is a close match to Land Rover green. British Racing green is a bluer shade and is not connected in any way AFAIK. Perhaps the oddest 'green' was 'Stroudley's Improved Locomotive green', used by him on the LBSC. It was actually something like yellow ochre.   

ChuckKey

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2016, 12:28:26 AM »
That is an amazing show you folks have over there!

I have a question........... as a newcomer to all this. Were those small tractors that were pulling folks around the infield, models of various larger tractors? I found them to be quite interesting.

I'd probably need a mill and lathe larger than my Sherlines to build one of those........huh!  :)

Jim
Some traction engine models are freelance, but most are (often very acurate) models of full size prototypes. In recent years the scale has got as large as half-size, but most are 1/4 or 1/3 scale. A 1/8 scale model will pull its driver.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2016, 03:31:23 AM »
Jason,
Thanks I didn't know shades of green were so popular on trains. Although I am aware that all British racing green's are not created equal, different shades on different brands of cars.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Jo, and the video, Jason.

Love pic 1724 - that's the sister engine to my compound, which also trialled the first batch of castings  :whoohoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal