Author Topic: 2016 Midlands Show  (Read 13593 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: 2016 Midlands Show
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
Great pictures Jo (although I must say that I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a single picture of the Jaffa cakes).  :naughty: Thanks for posting.

I'm really impressed with the sheer volume and variety of engines on display.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
Jo,

Thanks for the pix.  Decided to give it a miss this year.

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
Jo I think I may forgive you if you abandon the triples provided you move the Merc engine to the top of your to make list :mischief:

Remind me: Why would I want forgiveness from you? :noidea:

Thanks Jim, Sorry we had to be secret Jaffa Cake eaters as they didn't want people sitting at the tables eating their own food. I don't think they would have believed we found their coffee was bit damp and it necessary to use them to soak it up  :shrug:.

There were other types of models on display but I never remember to photograph those  ::) Having said that the 10 1/4" C class Shay was desirable  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Jo

It was good to be able to catch up with you and the others and thanks for offer of the illicit Jaffas. The pics that will fill in the gaps of the few I did take.

I did notice rails on at least one of yours.

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2016, 09:01:23 AM »
Jason was good enough to post a video of the bits that my camera failed to photograph

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz9dSkm-oRY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz9dSkm-oRY</a>

Jo
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:05:22 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
Brilliant video from Jason

Thanks
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
Many thanks indeed for posting your superb video Jason,  I didn't get to the show, and it was great to get that very full review of it - it looked as if it was a good show.
 Thanks also to Jo for the engine photo album.      Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »
Stunning variety of engines there, thanks!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 04:18:21 PM »
Thanks Jason, that was wonderful!

Dave

Offline JR72

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »
Hi Jason,
A very professional video of the midlands show, thanks so much for taking the time and trouble in making it. Unfortunately I was unable to attend this year so your video went some way towards making up for it. Sadly it seems that some of the shows are dwindling somewhat but the Midlands show seems to be getting bigger and better. I hope so. Hopefully I will be able to attend next year.
Thanks again and well done
John

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
Jason, thanks for posting. I went over to youtube so I could watch the video full screen and there discovered your videos of previous shows, thanks for all of them. I managed to get there Saturday and it made me realise how much I miss the heady smell of coal smoke, steam and oil.
Regards,
Steve

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »
Jason,
Thanks for the video of the Midlands show. Just out of curiosity for those of us in the Colonies. Is the green on the trains the predecessor to British racing green?  :mischief:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:44 AM »
That is an amazing show you folks have over there!

I have a question........... as a newcomer to all this. Were those small tractors that were pulling folks around the infield, models of various larger tractors? I found them to be quite interesting.

I'd probably need a mill and lathe larger than my Sherlines to build one of those........huh!  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
Thank you to Jo for posting the pictures and Jason for posting the video  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I have a couple of questions from the video:

It looked like there was quite a bit of 16mm narrow gauge there, was this from the Society or just models that happened to be there? (The 16mm Narrow Gauge Society was formed in my parents dinning room)

Was that a model gas turbine locomotive, 3 1/2 inch gauge?

There were a couple of what looked like series 1 Land Rovers out with the traction engines, has some one put out some plans?

Was that a glimpse of a ETW road roller near the end?
Best regards

Roger

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »

There were a couple of what looked like series 1 Land Rovers out with the traction engines, has some one put out some plans?

Some years ago an acquaintance bought a commercially made 'ride on' landy for his daughter which looked similar to the ones at MMEX. I don't think it was quite so big though, but then my memory might be adrift ..  :old:

This seems familiar but not sure.

http://www.toylander.com/

Far from cheap IIRC, but then he wasn't short of akkers ... not until his (ex) Mrs. had the skin off his back anyway ...  ;D

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal