Author Topic: Who'll be the first to make this?  (Read 8026 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Who'll be the first to make this?
« on: September 28, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »
Saw this over on HSM.  Might make an interesting project for someone tired of that old piston motion perpendicular to crank motion.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/2c7a75e26371ce1ca2df8775e090cc07/tumblr_o7q6hmWZwh1sns7veo1_500.gif
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Who'll be the first to make this?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
Now that is very interesting! Make a radial version of that motion, and watch people be hypnotised by it. Even the single piston version is wild to watch.

I wonder if how efficient it is at transferring the force of the piston though, compared to a normal crank and the bevel gears needed to change the direction. You guys with all the fancy CAD and simulation software should be able to model this one up and get the efficiency factors out. While it does move correctly, it just looks like it would have sticking points with low force. Even if so, it would be a wonderful eye-candy bit to add to a fancy engine.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
The mind boggles at how accurately that would need to be machined in order for it to work smoothly.

Would be an incredible show piece for anyone able to make it though  :)

Offline AOG

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
Looking at the model, the biggest concern I have is with energy transfer back into the system from the flywheel. To my eyes the mechanical advantage is at the piston side so getting it back to TDC will require a considerable amount of torque from the output shaft.

Tony

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20:13 PM »
What keeps the "crank" (the part carrying the big-end yoke that sits on a bearing on the pin between the two angled flanges of the mainshaft) constrained such that it remains "vertical"? As far as I can see there is nothing stopping it moving from side to side, whhich I think the net forces would probably hav it doing rather than moving the con-rod/piston assy along the cylinder axis.

I'm also slightly confused as to why the big-end is a ball in a yoke rather than a conventional pin in round bushes, because the movement seems to show that the yoke can rotate in the "crank" making the ball-joint un-necessary.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »
As you found it Marv and being the gentleman that I am, I will let you have a go first.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »
Fascinating motion to it. I definitely think you should have a go at it Marv :)

Bill

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 02:10:15 AM »
Nice find, Marv.  What is it?  It is beautifully made but it does not seem to be an engine since the thing that acts like a piston appears to be ringed with longitudinal slots which would make it nearly impossible to seal with a piston ring.  The slots probably engage splines in the cylinder which prevent any rotation of the "thing" in the bore.  The conversion of linear to rotary motion  is just a highly refined  "Z" shaft wobble plate mechanism with some odd features.  If you watch carefully or if you are able to freeze frame when the "thing" pokes out of the cylinder.  The rod is connected to the "thing" with a Cardan type universal joint, which seems to prevent rotation of the connecting rod in relation to the "thing."  My guess is that the "thing" is a crosshead guide and may be connected to a piston.

Show us more, if you can. :stickpoke:
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 06:47:31 AM »
What a lovely motion to see on my monthly day in town and internet access. Jerry the longitudinal slots on the piston appear to be shadows/reflections of the bolt heads, this is apparent if you take a few screen shots and look closely. Without further revelations from Marv as to this mystery machines purpose or access to the "inventors" description I might posit it as a 'flight of fancy' by some CAD jockey having fun with us? Regards Paul Gough.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:49:22 AM »
yep, just a 3d model. Nicely rendered:-)

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »
Agree Bill, Nicely rendered and well arranged but some things not quite believable. If you look at a still with the piston sticking out and inspect the shadows along the side of the piston at 3 or 4 o'clock area you will notice these shadows do not continue into the bore as the others do. First thing I noticed, starting my cynical and old film photographers mind turning over. But, I am not prepared to write it off entirely as a joke. I have had my eyes opened to some odd things when reading about the exotic hot air engines designed for use in space and the occasional insight into DARPA type projects. Getting a lot of mis-spellings and textual problems typing this post????? Thanks to the person and the host site, and Marv, for giving us some food for thought. Would love to know if there is any serious intent with this design. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
Two thoughts struck me while watching this move.

Rotating shaft could be two shafts opposed to each other. Some further parts on each one could control speed or lock one up to change to other-shaft output. Some kind of "differential" action?

Is the moving-in-and-out thingy a piston or linkage from a piston, or could that be the output? Some kind of pump?

Or is it another part of the turbo encabulator?

ShopShoe

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »
This is the axial engine in single cylinder form. It's missing a method to prevent rotation of the wobble plate. The source: http://www.garethfowler.com/

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
This is the axial engine in single cylinder form. It's missing a method to prevent rotation of the wobble plate. The source: http://www.garethfowler.com/

Thanks - I think that's what I was asking!

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
I burned up a couple of hours this morning to see if I could recreate this movement. I can, but I have to use a piece of 3D magic to keep it from wrapping itself up in a knot. There way be a way to do it mechanically, but I don't see it .
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFguHm7VhcA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFguHm7VhcA</a>
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:47:09 PM by Brian Rupnow »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal