Author Topic: MEX Brooklands 2016  (Read 7159 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
MEX Brooklands 2016
« on: September 16, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
Some pics from today in this album or a slideshow if you prefer.

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: MEX Brooklands 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
Thoughts about the show: If you are no good at stairs you may struggle :disappointed: Finding the rooms with the models in them  :headscratch: The lighting for taking photo's  :facepalm:

Thanks to Brian, Eric, John and Mike^3 for making sure I was well behaved all day  :noidea: My set of castings have found a new loving home and I am looking forward to seeing them emerge into a beautiful engine in the future  :)

Photos, Did I mention the lighting  ::)

Mike Cole has finished his W type Anzani and the video of it running proves it goes Da, Da Dum  :whoohoo:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:06:56 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
A couple more

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Someone sneaked his in under the judges noses and then tried finding out what they said about them  :stickpoke:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
 :thinking: I am sure I recognise the blue one.

And Steve W is designing another nice engine to go with his other one  :pinkelephant:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
Cherry is making an Ice Loco this time

And have I mentioned I happen to like mobile beam engines  ;D this is to the 5" Swiss design by Mark B. A very accurate design except one of the wheels should be odd  :Doh: On the original engine they made spaces between the wheel spoke so you can get a pry bar in to knock over the slip eccentric  :-X

Jo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:54:11 PM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
And of course ICEBG entered a couple of engines   :embarassed:

But Mike only brought along two of the Anzanis  >:(

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »
He did bring his Gypsy instead :)

Then there are the Gas Turbine builders.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
Then there was a full sized Anzani Fan type engine that has had nearly all of its paint worn off where people have been stroking it  :embarassed:

This is the earlier 1909 one with the two valves opposite each other on working on the engine vacuume ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:28:27 PM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »
A couple for Bill, who may want to make contact with this college to find out the mods they did to their Vickie ;)

And an amazing rig used to demonstrate Stirling engines and the impact of temperature gradients and swept volumes  8)

Not forgetting the view outside where these engines were sat  ;)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 06:10:08 PM »
and on to the SMEE engines

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »
more SMEE,

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »
And I got them to take the protective cover off the BRM engine for some photos  :cartwheel:

Jo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:30:11 PM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
Someone had done some nice mods to a Stuart No 9

And Westbury's 1831... A Wallaby for those of you (Dave) may have one lying unloved in your workshop.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »
Mike S's Bentleys

And  :-[ sorry Mike I missed photographing your Merc engine  :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
And some of Mike's other engines  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL8HKUpodls" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL8HKUpodls</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmuGkR22ypI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmuGkR22ypI</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyhOdRXsPA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyhOdRXsPA</a>

Jo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:30:32 PM by Jo »

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
Jo, were the videos taken at Old Warden? Which of the Shuttleworth meetings feature the running of these wonderful engines? One for next year's diary if it's a regular attraction.
Regards, Steve.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 10:35:22 PM »
Some great engines there.

Jo, I like the look of the one 4th and 5th in the post you made at 5.42 pm, do you know anything about it ?  is it from a kit ?

Thanks.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 12:11:34 AM »
Great pictures and some beautiful engines represented at the show!!  Thanks for sharing them all, and also for the Vickie pictures and info. They really did a nice job on it.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 01:46:05 AM »
Wow - stunning work! Thanks for all the pics!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
Jo, Jason thank you very much for sharing all these pictures with us. It is a real pleasure to study them and getting suprised by all these amazing details in some of them.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »
Jo, were the videos taken at Old Warden? Which of the Shuttleworth meetings feature the running of these wonderful engines? One for next year's diary if it's a regular attraction.
Regards, Steve.

They were taken at the "Aeromodeler's" Festival of Flight http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/festivalofflight/. The next one is next week end.

There are only 4 or 5 model engine maker's who go along and run their engines, Mike Cole is normally one of them  8)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »
Some great engines there.

Jo, I like the look of the one 4th and 5th in the post you made at 5.42 pm, do you know anything about it ?  is it from a kit ?

Thanks.

I suspect that is one of Anthony Mounts designs a 1843 James Booth's Rectilinear Engine. The casting sets   :embarassed: are available from Polly Wobbles.

Jo

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
Thanks, I like the look of it - something to think about making in a few years time  :)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
Peter something to bare in mind: Andy Clarke who owns Polly Wobbles doesn't take the stationary engine casting sets to shows any more  :( Mainly because if Anthony isn't there showing off the finished engines he gets few requests for them and they are rather big/heavy to lug around.

So to make sure you can get a set it may be worth thinking of buying them sooner rather than later  ;)

Jo

P.S. Buying earlier gives more casting fondling time  :ThumbsUp:

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »
Or forego the fondling and make it from solid.

I had one of the very early sets whenAnthony supplied them direct, lots of sand in the castings which is why it is sitting unloved in a box. I keep meaning to get round to scratch building the sandy bits. Pollys castings should be better.

If you click the link bottom right of this page there is a build of one.

http://www.eckartkercher.de/index_seiten/Rectilinear.htm

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
Thanks, I'm a bit of a newbie to the ancient art of cast fondling, but keeping my eyes open for something to have a bash at when I have a bit more experience.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Someone sneaked his in under the judges noses and then tried finding out what they said about them  :stickpoke:

Jo

Jo and Jason, thanks for all the great shots! Lots of beautiful engines and amazing talent represented there.

Engine shows on this side of the pond rarely if ever judge models; at the Portland Oregon Gears show the organizers would pick a half dozen or so models on Saturday morning  that they liked; these models were placed on a table at the front of the hall where a small group of peers would pick there favorite on a closed ballet. The winner would get a nice best of show plaque. After the winner was announced the models would be returned to their display tables.

I have been on both sides of this; one time my Essex hot air fan was chosen to be in the group (I didn't win). One other time I was chosen to be one of the judges; that time a very nice Stewart triple was chosen as the winner.

So a long winded intro to my question; What are the guidelines the judges use to go by and could you post an example of one of the judges comment sheets?

Dave   

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 05:34:30 PM »
So a long winded intro to my question; What are the guidelines the judges use to go by and could you post an example of one of the judges comment sheets?

The Judges do have guidelines and I can enquire for a copy of one. Judging is extremely difficult, especially if it is to be fair. How do you judge the first every engine that say a actor made using only a far eastern lathe against a highly detailed perfectly scale engine made by a retired tool maker with 50 years experience and a shed load of high precision machines? To make it worse most of the Judges know all of the entrants and they know they are going to upset someone, it is a thankless task being a Competition judge  :-[

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 05:55:05 PM »
I guess that makes me wonder why they even do it; do the modelers seem to enjoy the competition?
Just as a matter of curiosity It would be interesting to see one of the comment sheets.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
The judges or the modellers?

I get the feeling that the judges have their arms bent but at the end of each show I hear them say never again, trying to say one person's work is better than another  :hellno: always leaves them feeling very unhappy.

The Modellers: I think a lot of them thought they were only entering into the load section then found someone had ticked the competition box on their behalf :hammerbash: There are a few who need to have their ego boosted to prove they are, as they already knew, the greatest  :disappointed:

A comment I heard was that Cherry H was very pleased that her Burrell Showman's engine did not win the DoE trophy that year someone else did that year. The reason? The type of model was not unique, her's did not require extensive personal research  to be able to make the model in the first place. Major prize winning models are a long throw from going out into your workshop to make some swarf because you enjoy it   :ShakeHead:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
I don't think we actually get to see the Judges comments sheet or how the award was arrived at. Infact they don't have a sheet to score a model on, if you look at my photos there are two Judges one has the scores in his little black book the other is holding a torch so they can have a good look at the detail.

They are not judges 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each class but awarded a Medal - Gold, silver, bronze, highly commended, commended. If no models in a class get enough marks no gold will be awarded that year. I have a feeling why some people were asked to move their models from load (display only) to the competition was that the numbers entered in the comp were quite low, I was asked if I would mind having mine moved from loan to comp, don't think it was done without asking.

The Judges have a number of points they can award to a model for several different aspects

- Originality and research. Someone who measures up an old engine and produces a model will score better than one made to a well known design where castings etc are available

- Suitability of materials,Someone who has made patterns and had parts cast will score better than another who has glued an easy to work material together, there is no hiding the fact under paint as they have a magnet in their pockets

- Workmanship, This is where a well made casting kit could score better than a roughly made original design. You will also suffer in this section if you have bought in commercial gears, laser cut parts, etc (items not by you have to be noted on your entry form)

- Finish and presentation, Nice nuts and stud ends, good paintwork, display base etc will gain you points

- There are a few other items but you should get an idea of whats what.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »
I see the gongs have gone up at the show  :naughty:.

But for some reason the forum software won't let me load the pictures  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
Many thanks to Jo and to Jason for giving a good photo overview of the show.  JR72 and I went to the MEX yesterday, I realised later having got home that we seemed to have never actually found a chunk of the exhibition, which included the Guildford club stand......   So feel like a bit of an idiot, but in fairness, the layout of the various exhibition areas within the ( fascinating) Brooklands sheds and many buildings was not the easiest to work out.  But the time not spent with the models was well spent examining the marvellous cars and motorbikes, and historic displays, and it made an unusual and absorbing day out.
 Trade area was extremely disappointing as commented on by others, but I was able to conveniently collect my large and heavy 3 axis DRO set up from Machine DRO.  Just got to fit it now....

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
More photos from Sunday including a few more locos, boats etc in this slideshow or in the album

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal